What's new

Singapore Is Ready Anytime For Non-Chinese PM: Tharman Says S’poreans Today Look Beyond Race

Singapore Is Ready Anytime For Non-Chinese PM: Tharman Says S’poreans Today Look Beyond Race​

By The Must Share News Team - 26 Aug 2023, 12:22 pm

MSN-Featured-36.png

Mr Tharman said Singaporeans today now look at candidates "in totality", beyond just race.

Tharman Says Singapore Is Ready Anytime For A Non-Chinese PM

In Singapore, where there’s a racial quota in politics, race may be a factor voters consider when making their choice. But they often have other considerations too.

At least that’s how presidential candidate Tharman Shanmugaratnam believes Singaporeans today are choosing their leaders.

The former Senior Minister feels that Singaporeans today look at political candidates “in totality”, beyond just their race.

At a town hall on Friday (25 Aug) as part of his election campaign, Mr Tharman went on stage in front of attendees at Pasir Panjang Power Station to take on both light-hearted questions and more serious ones.

One of the questions raised was, “How will we know when Singapore is ready for a non-Chinese PM?”

Mr Tharman’s response to this familiar question was surprisingly direct:

Singaporeans look at candidates ‘in totality’ beyond just race

Elaborating on his response, the former Deputy PM acknowledged that race is a factor everywhere in the world but is not the sole consideration.

Closer to home, Mr Tharman said Singaporeans today consider other factors compared to voters from 40 to 50 years ago.

Apart from race, he believes that they look at candidates “in totality”, including attributes like a candidate’s capabilities, courage, character, and contributions.

“Race might be always lurking [in the back of] people’s minds, but it’s not the only issue”, he said.

Ending his response, Mr Tharman said that if a “superior candidate” for the Prime Minister’s Office comes along, they can be made a PM. And that, in his view, is a hallmark of progress in a society.

Race religion ethnicity is not important for development .

You sound like one, no Singaporeans I know of have the anti China sentiment like you show, My roommate in US is a Singaporean, I don't even feel like he is not from China,same language, same mentality, some topics, we even talked about the same stars and TV shows and movies.

He is from chinese descent ?

even when I'm in Hongkong I'm thinking there are too many indians on the street and they should be kicked out. guess the Singapore people are educated(or brainwashed) well.:-)

anyway SG is independent. their country, their rules.

India: OMG, an ethnic Indian got elected as the President in Singapore !!1!
To India and India media which keeps projecting him as Indian origin

he isnt indian, he is Sri Lankan Tamil origin

You sound like an Indian than a Chinese.

All Chinese in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and even in the West support China.

Not true at all.

Some hate authoritarianism. Some hate communism. Some hate both. Some don't care. Most look out for their own self interest and the interest of their income and wallet before ethnicity or idea of a nation state.

Many actually who care about the idea of nation state also hold the view that China is an evolving nation state i.e. "CCP" is not something that is forever. It is simply a vehicle for development and those tangible progress. It is not sacred or its ideals. Hence political moves that are considered to be endangering this evolution gets questioned even by a typically apolitical Chinese general population and diaspora. Of course there is also the patriot and nationalist. All overlapping sometimes.

Most believe though that the west is keen to reduce the wealth, standing, and influence of Chinese people so there is unity there in that belief.

Not true at all.

Some hate authoritarianism. Some hate communism. Some hate both. Some don't care. Most look out for their own self interest and the interest of their income and wallet before ethnicity or idea of a nation state.

Many actually who care about the idea of nation state also hold the view that China is an evolving nation state i.e. "CCP" is not something that is forever. It is simply a vehicle for development and those tangible progress. It is not sacred or its ideals. Hence political moves that are considered to be endangering this evolution gets questioned even by a typically apolitical Chinese general population and diaspora. Of course there is also the patriot and nationalist. All overlapping sometimes.

Most believe though that the west is keen to reduce the wealth, standing, and influence of Chinese people so there is unity there in that belief.
if u hate ur country and humanity then u should support communism

cant think of anything else to destroy a civilization faster, not even war

I guess not, if not Indian, maybe Malay.
Do not underestimate the power of Western Media Propaganda and Brainwashing. We grew up thinking our Western Media controlled China Hating media was Independent. It was not until some years ago that I realized all the international articles are from AP, Reuters, BBC et al. Ditto our TV.
I don't read Chinese media as I can only read Chinese slowly and I believe many of us as well. Surprisingly, drama subtitles are OK.

I was among those brainwashed by propaganda to support the US in its wars. I only had my doubts when the US turned its attention to the Land of my ancestors. Those with China ties are less likely to be swayed, but the obnoxious behavior of some Chinese visitors to our island is not helping.

There are also those on the take from the "$500 million SMEAR CHINA FUND".

Back
Top Bottom