What's new

Sikorsky Sets Sights On Indian Orders

notting hill

Reaction score
By Robert Wall wall@aviationweek.com, Amy Butler abutler@aviationweek.com
PARIS,

Sikorsky is hoping to ride a wave of recent export successes to also establish a firm industrial foothold in the hot Indian growth market.

India has two helicopter requirements on the horizon that Sikorsky is eying closely. One is for a coast guard mission for which the U.S. manufacturer is bidding a tailored S-76. But the far larger program is a medium helicopter requirement, which could lead to production of 300-500 rotorcraft. The company will likely tailor its offering around the C-148 Cyclone now completing development for Canada, says Jeff Pino, Sikorsky’s CEO, during a June 19 interview with Aviation Week.

The Canadian program has had its share of program delays, but Pino suggests the program is now holding to a new plan defined more than two years ago. Two of six interim capability helicopters have been delivered to the Canadian customer, with deliveries of the full operational capability due to start next year. “This is the most capable and complex helicopter ever built,” Pino says of the militarized S-92.

Sikorsky has enjoyed a recent wave of export success, with Saudi Arabia looking to buy additional UH-60 Black Hawks, Sweden buying the utility rotorcraft to meet urgent operational needs in Afghanistan, and Australia, last week, selecting the Lockheed Martin-led MH-60R for its future maritime anti-submarine warfare rotorcraft. Turkey also has signed up to buying S-70i and may boost its order of S-70Bs by 12 rotorcraft to 30 total. “In the last six months this has been a nice order book increase especially internationally,” Pino says.

Other opportunities are on the horizon, with Sikorsky eyeing a Mexican requirement for 50-100 rotorcraft in the UH-60 Black Hawk class.

Although much of the activity in recent months has been overseas, U.S. market movement is picking up steam, particularly with several U.S. Air Force programs. Those include the HH-60 combat search and rescue operational loss replacement program, which could grow from six units to as many as 24, and the Common Vertical Lift Support Program (CVLSP) and the eventual competition for a new combat search and rescue program. If the Pentagon opts for anything but a Black Hawk “it is going to be a conscious decision to add another type model,” Pino says. He shrugs off criticism that the Black Hawk, which is competing with other systems such as AgustaWestland’s AW139 is over-engineered for the CVLSP requirement, quipping that “we were over-engineered in Turkey as well.”

Sikorsky Sets Sights On Indian Orders | AVIATION WEEK

By Robert Wall wall@aviationweek.com, Amy Butler abutler@aviationweek.com
PARIS,

Sikorsky is hoping to ride a wave of recent export successes to also establish a firm industrial foothold in the hot Indian growth market.

India has two helicopter requirements on the horizon that Sikorsky is eying closely. One is for a coast guard mission for which the U.S. manufacturer is bidding a tailored S-76. But the far larger program is a medium helicopter requirement, which could lead to production of 300-500 rotorcraft. The company will likely tailor its offering around the C-148 Cyclone now completing development for Canada, says Jeff Pino, Sikorsky’s CEO, during a June 19 interview with Aviation Week.

The Canadian program has had its share of program delays, but Pino suggests the program is now holding to a new plan defined more than two years ago. Two of six interim capability helicopters have been delivered to the Canadian customer, with deliveries of the full operational capability due to start next year. “This is the most capable and complex helicopter ever built,” Pino says of the militarized S-92.

Sikorsky has enjoyed a recent wave of export success, with Saudi Arabia looking to buy additional UH-60 Black Hawks, Sweden buying the utility rotorcraft to meet urgent operational needs in Afghanistan, and Australia, last week, selecting the Lockheed Martin-led MH-60R for its future maritime anti-submarine warfare rotorcraft. Turkey also has signed up to buying S-70i and may boost its order of S-70Bs by 12 rotorcraft to 30 total. “In the last six months this has been a nice order book increase especially internationally,” Pino says.

Other opportunities are on the horizon, with Sikorsky eyeing a Mexican requirement for 50-100 rotorcraft in the UH-60 Black Hawk class.

Although much of the activity in recent months has been overseas, U.S. market movement is picking up steam, particularly with several U.S. Air Force programs. Those include the HH-60 combat search and rescue operational loss replacement program, which could grow from six units to as many as 24, and the Common Vertical Lift Support Program (CVLSP) and the eventual competition for a new combat search and rescue program. If the Pentagon opts for anything but a Black Hawk “it is going to be a conscious decision to add another type model,” Pino says. He shrugs off criticism that the Black Hawk, which is competing with other systems such as AgustaWestland’s AW139 is over-engineered for the CVLSP requirement, quipping that “we were over-engineered in Turkey as well.”

Sikorsky Sets Sights On Indian Orders | AVIATION WEEK

Whoa!! What competition is this (^^^) 300-500 is HUGE I haven't heard of this and the CH148 competing. But if true this is AWESOME!! and would love to see a few hundred BlackHawks in Indian colours (yeah in my dreams!)

CH148
Sikorsky_H92.jpg

Any info?

I think we should join hand with Sikorsky in its X2 program. If US abandons this program we should purchase the techs for that program. I really like the X2 attack helicopter and X2 heavy lift helicopters.....

i like india to JV with other countries in medium and heavy category..
after ALH its natural yo have go to next level..
btw is there any efforts to make helicoppter in medium category

^^^
Yeah eurocopter and Mil were in the final list. I hope we should not go for old design which were in the contenders like Cougar and Mi17. Both Eurocopter and Mil has plans for next generation medium lift helicopters and they will be ready by the time we IMRH will get ready. I hope we join Russia again because of the revolutionary new designs they have like Ka90,92 because if we won't China will join them or the project will get cancelled. Russia-China are already building a heavy-lift chopper based on Mi26.

I am always in favor of inducting more and more helicopters in our forces and because most of our border areas and conflict zones are in places were its too hard to land a transport aircraft. So i think IA aviation wing should purchase alot of heavy-lift and medium lift choppers.

^^^
Yeah eurocopter and Mil were in the final list. I hope we should not go for old design which were in the contenders like Cougar and Mi17. Both Eurocopter and Mil has plans for next generation medium lift helicopters and they will be ready by the time we IMRH will get ready. I hope we join Russia again because of the revolutionary new designs they have like Ka90,92 because if we won't China will join them or the project will get cancelled. Russia-China are already building a heavy-lift chopper based on Mi26.

I am always in favor of inducting more and more helicopters in our forces and because most of our border areas and conflict zones are in places were its too hard to land a transport aircraft. So i think IA aviation wing should purchase alot of heavy-lift and medium lift choppers.

Yes... Around 300 choppers of 12 ton category was to be bought.. In place of Mil. Kamov should have been shortlisted..
However with changes going on inside Russia , that doesn't matter much....

Yes... Around 300 choppers of 12 ton category was to be bought.. In place of Mil. Kamov should have been shortlisted..
Don't worry, the IMRH is back to square one. The requirement of armed forces changed and so after finalizing HAL scrapped the project. Now they are thinking whether to go alone and or opt for a partner. I just hope HAL does not built a 12 ton Dhruv for IMRH. I really don't like that design....

As far as Mil is considered they also have 2 future helicopters, one is unmanned and other is medium lift.

Mil Mi-X1

aw052620082136lom4.jpg

Eurocopter HTH

5369acd2-83c7-4bda-9fff-43659aeedd91.Large.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom