What's new

Sikh players of Indian basketball team forced to remove turbans

We can continue the limbo, but I'm not interested. The person that posted pics of players with headbands are actually called sweatbands. I doubt they will allow Sikhs to wear the turban.
well lets see, India has taken up the matter, support from US, UK and Canada would pour in ... lets hope for the best

BTW they would wear patka @cloud_9

stock_sikh_180x230.gif

this another matter, but yes they have been sensitive towards belief, as it is an UN charter

Sir, sensitive to beliefs is OK. But then the floodgates open. Its simply easier to keep it out.

Its even possible that one's personal beliefs do not allow one to play a game. For example boxing for a Jain (just a hypothetical example). Then they are free not to play. But asking to make exceptions is a slippery slope (although personally I'm all for it as long as it does not affect the sport). Burkha is next, then no shorts, then reschedule worldcup because of Ramadan??? Where should this stop???

BTW looks like Patkas are allowed to keep hair in place and as an accessory to absorb sweat etc, then why wear a full Turban???

Sir, sensitive to beliefs is OK. But then the floodgates open. Its simply easier to keep it out.

Its even possible that one's personal beliefs do not allow one to play a game. For example boxing for a Jain (just a hypothetical example). Then they are free not to play. But asking to make exceptions is a slippery slope (although personally I'm all for it as long as it does not affect the sport). Burkha is next, then no shorts, then reschedule worldcup because of Ramadan??? Where should this stop???

BTW looks like Patkas are allowed to keep hair in place and as an accessory to absorb sweat etc, then why wear a full Turban???
Dude, they were not allowed to wear patka's
Boxing for jain is not allowed as it might be their religious feeling, the only point here is, these players used to play with patka's and they do not harm another player in anyway, hence they contest the rule

This is entirely different- Burkhas are more of a cultural tradition than actually mandated as part of a religion and that too are controversial (seen as a form of female repression and such). For Sikhs who wears a Turban the ultimate insult is to tell them to remove their turban. It is a big no no as part of our teachings and history. Sikhs aren't fools when they need to they will remove their full turban if they need to wear a helmet or such but there is zero need for them to remove their turbans for playing sports- there are numerous examples of Sikhs playing sports with turbans no issue whatsoever.

Pretty disgraceful really.

Someone explain to me how a piece of cloth can cause harm to other players?
These folks must be playing really good,that's why this thing is happening.Like how the Brits have removed Archery & Wrestling from Common wealth games but have kept different types of cycling events

Back
Top Bottom