What's new

Should Mercy Killing be Allowed??

I guess you are a veggie?
The reason people are advocating mercy killing is because for some living is too painful and unbearable. But he or she is unable to kill self. Is not it merciful to help somebody die in those circumstance?
When you feel pain. I should not have right to end your life to end your pains. We all get pains and sufferings at some stages of our lives. Where do we draw the line? How can we say this group of people can kill themselves, but not this other group? What about those individuals that have nothing to live for and constantly attempt suicide?
You have to take into account that even some "terminally ill" patients do recover when it was never expected. Some go through such pain and then finally there is a breakthrough and they live years longer than expected. Its the same with depressed individuals. Sometimes they never really recover, sometimes they finally see through the depression and live normal lives.

I support euthanasia in extreme cases. Keep religion out of this please. We are not treating people with religion . So we needn't care what religion says about it.

^ Its not question of religon. Its debate about whether mercy killing should be ethical or unethical?

Would you elaborate those extreme cases?

^ Its not question of religon. Its debate about whether mercy killing should be ethical or unethical?

Would you elaborate those extreme cases?

It is ethical if a person is living a life of extreme physical pain with no known cure or is in a vegetated state , with loss of most of the senses. In both cases, if the person is willing to die, they should be allowed to.

Some important steps taken by the Judiciary in their ruling. The differentiation between Active and Passive Euthanasia is an important beginning. Active euthanasia still remains illegal. Safeguards and checks for passive euthanasia on a case by case basis to prevent abuse. Its to be noted that all euthanasia, active or passive, goes against the ancient Hippocratic oath that all doctors the world over take. A doctor cannot play God, and he will try to preserve life till life remains. Period. When a horse gets injured it is put to sleep. We do it for pet dogs in terminal cases too. And its done by doctors. Why is it different for them and not for us? Are they children of a lesser God? These are questions that will come up. There are many issues to be worked out there.

Another big step is that of de-criminalization of attempted suicide. I never understood the rationale behind criminalizing suicide in the first place. If the attempt is successful, there is no one to prosecute anyways. And if its not, its a little much to go after someone who has just tried to die and fail. What bigger punishment are you going to give someone who has tried to embrace death? Or is the system in a bizarre manner trying to ensure an incentive not to fail in the first place? Suicide is not a new phenomenon. Neither is it culture specific. Neither is it species specific.

Then, there is artificial life support. Remove that support, and the person will die in minutes. Does God approve of keeping someone alive for 30 years artificially? Perhaps we are working AGAINST His will... he wanted to call that person home 30 years ago with injuries that would normally be mortal, and mankind jumps in to sustain life with ventilators and such

God should be kept of of this.

No offence, but this line of thought can be extended to questioning the use of vaccines and antibiotics

No offense taken. I posted that sentence to show that it is impossible for humanity to try and understand God's will in such a situation. It was in essence "We interfere all the time throughout a person's life using medical technology. And passive or active euthanasia is one more tool in the arsenal."

Again, I believe a lot of people here don't understand agony - REAL pain. Not the flu, not a broken bone, or laceration. I'm talking pain so severe that it takes several days of screaming "Please! For the love of God, kill me!" even when fully doped with morphine. We had a family friend pass that way from cancer.

THAT is pain. The person is guaranteed, 100%, to be dead in a matter of days. How can we, in conscience, allow this to happen to ANYBODY?!

I want to add that this particular passing destroyed the mind of that man's wife. She could have handled the passing... we all do, it's part of the life process. What she could not handle was the protracted screaming and agony. And the doctors were helpless, because they were not allowed to assist.

Some important steps taken by the Judiciary in their ruling. The differentiation between Active and Passive Euthanasia is an important beginning. Active euthanasia still remains illegal. Safeguards and checks for passive euthanasia on a case by case basis to prevent abuse. Its to be noted that all euthanasia, active or passive, goes against the ancient Hippocratic oath that all doctors the world over take. A doctor cannot play God, and he will try to preserve life till life remains. Period. When a horse gets injured it is put to sleep. We do it for pet dogs in terminal cases too. And its done by doctors. Why is it different for them and not for us? Are they children of a lesser God? These are questions that will come up. There are many issues to be worked out there.

Another big step is that of de-criminalization of attempted suicide. I never understood the rationale behind criminalizing suicide in the first place. If the attempt is successful, there is no one to prosecute anyways. And if its not, its a little much to go after someone who has just tried to die and fail. What bigger punishment are you going to give someone who has tried to embrace death? Or is the system in a bizarre manner trying to ensure an incentive not to fail in the first place? Suicide is not a new phenomenon. Neither is it culture specific. Neither is it species specific.
I agree, suicide should not be criminal offence.

No offense taken. I posted that sentence to show that it is impossible for humanity to try and understand God's will in such a situation. It was in essence "We interfere all the time throughout a person's life using medical technology. And passive or active euthanasia is one more tool in the arsenal."

Again, I believe a lot of people here don't understand agony - REAL pain. Not the flu, not a broken bone, or laceration. I'm talking pain so severe that it takes several days of screaming "Please! For the love of God, kill me!" even when fully doped with morphine. We had a family friend pass that way from cancer.

THAT is pain. The person is guaranteed, 100%, to be dead in a matter of days. How can we, in conscience, allow this to happen to ANYBODY?!

I agree with you about unbearable pain. But in the verdict, the proposal for mercy killing should be from doctor. That seems to be a conflict. A doctor, will always try to save life, no matter what.

I believe a lot of people here don't understand agony - REAL pain. Not the flu, not a broken bone, or laceration. I'm talking pain so severe that it takes several days of screaming "Please! For the love of God, kill me!" even when fully doped with morphine. We had a family friend pass that way from cancer.

There is no device to measure the pain. Lie me on hot sand in summer noon and keep a big stone on my back or cut my body into parts one by one starting from fingers then hands and arms and foot to knee to thigh and ask me something to accept, I won't!

Pain is a feeling dependent mental condition, some people even can't bear a needle touch. Artificial life support starts from use of aspirin to modern tech machines. Death beat them all. Or you say you are tired to look after someone then do as you please.

its just seems that ... you are gonna legalize suicide..

its just seems that ... you are gonna legalize suicide..

No, Mercy killing should be allowed in very limited cases and has to undergo some legal procedure.
Its not like that your girlfriend ditched you and you're applying for mercy killing :no:

Back
Top Bottom