What's new

Should India be looking at abandoned Russian blueprints?

though i believe that yours may be a good idea but here i disagree with you. i think what you are comparing is wrong.

india started designing, building and operating indigenous war ships decades back. some are now retiring too. lca has just got ioc recently. whereas we have tremendous capability is ship designing and building. we have started buidling shivalik class ships now.

IN is a builders navy since long. so you should not compare our warships with lca.

lca is designed by ADA (DRDO). on the contrary, our ships are being designed by directorate of naval design, governed by indian navy itself.

on the other hand, directorate of naval design has already generated design of some ships now whose construction is not even started yet. our shipyards are full of orders. directorate of naval design has enough time to design our own carrier iac2 or 3. time is no matter.

directorate of naval design is designing really good stuff which is much cheaper costwise still at par in quality with other warships in the world.

why to pay much more for the work which you can do by your own?

suppose we have purchased these designs and blueprints now. where will you build a carrier? in which shipyard? india do not have any shipyard which can build that big ship except cochi shipyard which is building iac1 at present.

one more thing, do we really need 80k carrier. i thin 50-60k is more than enough to fulfill our needs. please keep distance between what you need and what you want.

imho, directorate of naval design does have enough skills to design ships and carrier now. and they are doing best. :cheers: :yahoo:

Point taken. Thanks

A bit aside from the topic...but HOW much less does indegenous cost us??
i wouldnt say...that the difference is huge....

case in point
a talwar's around $533 mil
wile a shivalik is around $ 564 mil

while the shivalik is a larger ship, they are still comparable...
could you elaborate on this a bit more?

i know the experience gained is invaluable, but since our shipbuilding capabilities cant take a very high load, wouldnt it be advisable to keep some important builds to ourself and souce additional stuff from russia?

as for the 80k ton carrier, it isnt an absolute essential, but does the usa need 10 nimitz class.....forget that...does it need to replace them as its going to be doing soon. I do believe, india needs to promote its capability as a global player with the ability to project power anywhere in asia/africa at the very least.

why we need to go for abandoned russian blue print...
what i will suggest sill try to co-operate with existing and active russian ventures and develop paralley like we are doing for Brahmos..

and considering the navy procurements i think we are going in a right direction with several indeginious projects are happening at the same time... like IAC2 , Shivaik class frigates.. arihant subs... etc

Dont think you get what i said.
the DESIGN wasnt abandoned...the SHIP was abandoned after 40% being built, coz when ussr broke down...russia's economy got PWNED...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom