What's new

'Shoib:Undoubtedly the quickest, the meanest'-Allan Donald

atharvya

New Recruit

Reaction score
Shoib was undoubtedly the quickest, the meanest. The 1999 World Cup - Shoaib Akhtar arrived on the scene. The first game I watched, in my hotel room, where he yorked Adam Gilchrist [Steve Waugh] at 97 miles an hour.

I just thought that this kid is going to be a handful in this World Cup. You've got Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar - comfortably the best three quicks on display in the World Cup in 1999.

Shoaib had an enormously long run-up. Bob Woolmer always used to say that it was a waste of energy. He could easily have come off a shorter run-up. But I think Shoaib's ego was far too big for anybody to tell him any differently, because for him it was a big thing - running that far. Jacques Kallis [would say] that he'd often take guard and wait for Shoaib to turn at the back of his mark and he just wait and waited and waited until the next ball was delivered.

But my goodness he was quick, he was seriously quick. And again, another young Pakistani bowler who could bowl yorkers at will. [There are] not that many batsmen in world cricket who could play the hook shot against him. I think the other two [Wasim and Waqar], you could still at times get hold of them, but Shoaib was skiddy. He wasn't a tall man, so it was a skiddy bouncer and it was very, very quick. You had to know your story with him. You had to choose the right ball to try and play the horizontal shot.

But he had everything. He had presence. He was a mean man. Look, he was absolutely ego-driven, that he was going to run all over you. And I think out of the three, definitely the quickest, not necessarily the most skillful, but not far away.

He had an action that was almost like he was getting ready to throw a javelin, because he sort of turned himself sideways a little bit, and then that slingy action at the end where the ball tailed in. He got 5 for 11 in a spell of 11 overs in Durban in which he blew South Africa away, and it was a Test that they won. He knocked over Lance Klusener and the stumps were everywhere. Thank goodness I faced him in the last ball of his spell. And it was absolutely blown. That, to me, was one of the best balls I've seen.

He hit Gary [Kirsten] hard in Lahore [in 2003]. Gary went for a hook shot and missed it and the ball went straight through. Gary actually spoke about that very recently and [said] it was the dumbest thing he's ever done - trying to hook him on one of the flattest wickets in the world. But that's what Shoaib is capable of doing. He made very great use of the new ball on a flat wicket. And then we all knew what he was capable of doing with the old ball because of the reverse swing.

But he was intimidating. He was very intimidating. I would actually say that out of the three of them, Shoaib Akhtar was the most intimidating bowler.

it was on espn cricinfo......i am not yet able to post the link or i would have.

For me Waqar was the most intimidating because of the accurcy with which he could hit the stumps.

Brett Lee was better because he was fast and accurate. Shoaib was hardly ever accurate.

Shoaib doesn't even come close to Akram and Waqar.

wasim was the best but shoaib have its own name in cricket world....he was a stylish bowler,...

Brett Lee was better because he was fast and accurate. Shoaib was hardly ever accurate.

Shoaib doesn't even come close to Akram and Waqar.

Shoaib was more intimidating and presented a bigger fear factor for the batsmen. He was quite accurate too, but all his injuries and disciplinary problems ruined what could have been an ATG.

Lee was quite average in the test format(Awesome in ODIs though!) and Shoaib has better stats in that format, but of course Shoaib played less matches and stats doesnt always tell the true story.

Shoaib was a good bowler. I say this because his inaccuracy was frustrating even to me. Every over had two balls on the pad.

I remember a 2005?? Champions Trophy match. Shoaib takes out Sachin Tendulkar first ball clean bowled. The off-stump almost flies to the keeper. Speed - 152.5 KMPH

20 overs and 100 minutes later, Shoaib comes to bowl his 5 or 6th over, he has given away only 18 runs. First ball to Yuvraj Singh, suicidal delivery on the leg stump. Yuvi just shows his bat to the ball and it flies for a one bounce on the longest boundary. Speed - An astounding 158.2 KMPH. I don't even know if Yuvraj saw that ball before he raised his bat. The shot was instinctive, like Yuvraj knew it was going to be on the pads.

When his 10 overs finish, Shoaib Akhtar is 58-1.

Darn. If you have that sort of pace, you must be a little accurate.

well there is enough fire power in pakistan bowling armoury which you people yet to see the probleum is selection comitte members not picking good playesr
pakistan should make new selectiom commitee of these players

saeed anwar
wasim akram chairman selection commitee
waqar younis
inzamam
malik
ejaz ahmed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom