What's new

Sharmeen Obaid wins second Oscar award

The Good: Oscar
The Bad: Negative image of Pakistan
The Ugly: Anti-Islamic politics

I'm pointing out a simple and basic fact, that in allowing gay marriage the West has clearly stated that it does not wish for the State to institutionalize hatred and discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. It's a very common sense position rooted in basic human values of respect and tolerance for the life choices of human beings that do not tangibly and negatively impact other human beings.

There is no obsession here, and the reason you find it 'useless to argue' with the likes of me is that you have no rational and factual counter-argument and choose to hide behind personal attacks and angry outbursts.
FYI: Gay and bisexual men are more severely affected by HIV than any other group in the United States.

Source: Gay and Bisexual Men | HIV by Group | HIV/AIDS | CDC

More: Statistics on HIV/AIDS and percentage of population infected | CARM | Homosexuality

Behaviors and relations that lead to growth of HIV related infections [should be] a matter of grave concern for a society at large.

---

Are you a Muslim?

Last edited:
Behaviors and relations that lead to growth of HIV related infections [should be] a matter of grave concern for a society at large.
I agree - there needs to be an increased focus on promoting 'safe sex' and the use of 'sexual contraceptives' and increased access to the necessary HIV medication and continue focus on minimizing the stigma in society associated with homosexuality that encourages unsafe sexual behavior.
Are you a Muslim?
That's irrelevant.

Everybody knows that she is going to win the award, but on announcements how she "acted", she deserve another Oscar :lol:

I agree - there needs to be an increased focus on promoting 'safe sex' and the use of 'sexual contraceptives' and increased access to the necessary HIV medication and continue focus on minimizing the stigma in society associated with homosexuality that encourages unsafe sexual behavior.
The state/organization can advertise so-called 'safe sex' practices but cannot ensure their implementation. Everybody is not comfortable with using a condom and some are even allergic to such products.

FYI: Condom Allergy | MD-Health.com

Gay relations should be discouraged, period.

That's irrelevant.
What's wrong with my question?

She should highlight the more +ve things about our society.

You know like the fact that Pakistani men were voted the 3rd sexiest nationality by an unknown obscure website.

And like we have the highest mountains.

And like one about that one world cup we won.

And about A.Q.Khan

Infact why not about the hero of the nation Mumtaz Qadri??

The guy would have probably more people at his funeral than anyone in the history of this country.

Gosh what a brave man....killing an unarmed man.

A typical hero of Pakistani youth these days unlike that Jinnah.

This documentary was made for "the world" to think....not for "us" to think.
Why is it that ANY "foreign" recognition we get , the people of Pakistan assume that the movie, book and whatever was for the foreign audience?

When will it be for Pakistanis? When will it be their time to open their eyes and see what a mess their blindness has created!

Well congratz to Sharmeen...!!!!for her 2nd award...!!!
But i have a query in my mind....It is a fact that honour killing is a problem in Pakistan....but it's also a fact that it's limited to some of rural areas and some of uneducated persons.
I blieve..all my Pakistani fellows will agree with me that...in Pak..in our families...women are treated with great respect and honour:as a mother,wife,daughter,sister,daghter-in law,sistr in law...etc....In all of relations women are mostly treated with respect....even most of uneducated families/people(may be a shop keeper, a vendor etc.)...they treat women with respect...and i am sure..that all of my Pakistani friends here must have witnessed it....!!!
So when,Sharmeen plays a documentary on any women issue in west....it gives a message..like every women in Pak is being tortured or murdered for some reason...that is wrong.
There must be a balance in every thing...if our women are facing some problems that need to be highlighted...then tose area must also be promoted..in which are women are doing well and...they are being treated well and kindly...!!!!

27slde4.jpg

Sharmeen-at-Emmys.jpg

Gucci+Award+Women+Cinema+69th+Venice+International+Qmx_saukjQFl.jpg

sharmeen_obaid_sania_maskatiya_june_2014_watermark_5.jpg

sharmeen-obaid-chinoy.jpg
Easy on the eye, no question about it.

A typical hero of Pakistani youth these days unlike that Jinnah.

In case you haven't realised, majority of the Western world thinks negatively of Jinnah.

Pakistan's very creation is based on a concept hated by the Western world.

Pakistan shouldn't bother about what the West thinks about it. The West will always hate Muslims and specially a country created specifically for Muslims.

Even in the 1950s when Pakistan aligned with the US and India aligned with the Soviets, the West was still churning out movies which showed Pakistan/ Muslims in a bad light and Hindus/ India in a good light. Watch the 1950s film 'North West Frontier' also known as 'Empress of India' to see what I am talking about.;

Pakistan should be more bothered by what other Muslims think about it.

For example if you follow Kashmiri facebook pages (which is where Pakistan's reputation actually matters), there's an extremely high anti-pakistan sentiment now because there is a perception amongst Kashmiris that Pakistan is 'liberalizing' and 'secularizing' and that Pakistan is betraying Islam. Many Kashmiris feel that Pakistan is not 'Islamic enough' to have their support, anymore.

Guess who the most popular Pakistani leader is in Kashmir? Zia ul Haq. The man you liberals hate.

That's irrelevant.

I am lost for words.

The sheer stupidity of your post.

I have seen 'few' desi fanboys of western culture during my travels, foulmouthing Pakistan and Pakistanis in front of 'gora' locals in order to gain their good wishes and are actually met with utter disgust from them. The apologetic attitude of few Pakistanis
, the spineless urge to mimic them where ever possible to fit in and ball licking attitude in the world over is also a reason why Pakistanis aren't respected. We do not hold on to our values with pride and project them. We cower down whenever possible by statements like not everyone does that, not all men are barbaric or see we are trying to curb it. There is no shame in saying ours is a male dominated family culture with utmost respect for women. Is it not the truth and what our religion professes? Isn't male the head of family making important decisions with consultation from wife? Why are we ashamed to accept this as part of our values with strength and stop being weak apologetic sissies and pretentious idiots.

Identifying and accepting what's wrong is the first step towards solution
It's not as easy as we think. People generally only do things that reinforce their positive self image. Admitting errors is often unacceptable for most Pakistanis.

Her two documentaries are all about highlighting the negatives and shortcomings of Pakistan infront of global audience. The term, doing your dirty laundry in house is not known to certain sections of society, with certain mind set. I will be very keen to note her next project if she choose to project Pakistan in positive way and glorifying it. And if she gets a noble prize for that!

Her two documentaries are all about highlighting the negatives and shortcomings of Pakistan infront of global audience. The term, doing your dirty laundry in house is not known to certain sections of society, with certain mind set. I will be very keen to note her next project if she choose to project Pakistan in positive way and glorifying it. And if she gets a noble prize for that!
Can you tell me is their anything positive Pakistan is doing at the moment you want her to advertise, is this the fact that people here support a terrorist instead of a victim or is it the fact that the religious parties of Pakistan think protecting women is against Islam or that thousands of people in karachi sit and listen to a murderer over Telephone?

Accepting whats wrong in you dosen't make you weak, it makes you one step ahead of that person who still thinks its not wrong
And she got an Oscar not a noble prize, it shows how much you think about certain things

Can you tell me is their anything positive Pakistan is doing at the moment you want her to advertise, is this the fact that people here support a terrorist instead of a victim or is it the fact that the religious parties of Pakistan think protecting women is against Islam or that thousands of people in karachi sit and listen to a murderer over Telephone?

Accepting whats wrong in you dosen't make you weak, it makes you one step ahead of that person who still thinks its not wrong
And she got an Oscar not a noble prize, it shows how much you think about certain things

better if you let me know your nationality so I can comment accordingly. If you are Pakistani and can't see any positive in our own country then you better pack your bags and move to your adapted country and leave Pakistan for those who are optimistic about its future! The moment you start degrading Pakistan your own motherland you lose your right to be it's ambassador, it's spokesperson. I don't find the rest of your rants worth the reply.

Our internal problems got internal solutions and can only be fixed by internal debate. No need to do your dirty laundry outside. No nation worth its salt does this non sense. Understand this, it's nothing to do with what you called as recognizing the problem. We got vibrant and independent media , we ain't a banana Republic which certain section of society are hell bend to prove otherwise. Use Pakistani media to put the issues across.

Back
Top Bottom