What's new

Shafilea Ahmed murder trial: Parents guilty of killing

livingdead

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
_62014359_62014356.jpg

The parents of Shafilea Ahmed have been jailed for life after being convicted of her murder.

The 17-year-old went missing from her home in Warrington, Cheshire, in 2003 and her body was found in the River Kent in Cumbria six months later.

Iftikhar, 52, and Farzana Ahmed, 49, had denied her murder but the jury at Chester Crown Court returned guilty verdicts against them both.

Mr Justice Roderick Evans said they would both serve a minimum of 25 years.

The judge told them: "Your concern about being shamed in your community was greater than the love of your child."

The couple suffocated Shafilea with a plastic bag after years of abuse.

After the trial. Det Supt Geraint Jones described the killing as a "vile and disgraceful act against someone they should have been very proud of".

He added: "For me this is not an 'honour killing', it's a clear case of murder."

_62015339_62015338.jpg

Mevish Ahmed supported her parents' defence during the trial

BBC News - Shafilea Ahmed murder trial: Parents guilty of killing

I never understood the concept of honor killings though.

If you feel that the girl/guy has tarnished your reputation, disown her/him and let them go their own way in their life. You have no bloody right to take their life just because they dont agree with your outdated concepts of honor/izzat.

And before someone jumps in - I'm not referring to this particular case bu also the honor killings in Punjab,Rajasthan, haryana and the UP.

Surprisingly I have not heard about this concept much in Bihar.

I personally don't get why this honour killing revolve around women only..why men don't bring shame for family if he do the same things..we peoples are hypocrite in many things..

This poll is also surprising

'Honour code' supported by young Asians, poll says

Two-thirds of young British Asians agree that families should live according to the concept of "honour", a poll for BBC Panorama suggests.

Of 500 young Asians questioned, 18% also felt that certain behaviour by women that could affect her family's honour justified physical punishment.

These included disobeying their father, and wanting to leave an existing or prearranged marriage.

The results come as women's groups call for action to stop "honour" crimes.

The poll, conducted for the BBC by ComRes, interviewed young Asians living in Britain between the ages of 16 and 34.

To qualify as Asian, interviewees had to identify themselves as being from one of the following communities: Mixed Asian; Indian; Pakistani; Bangladeshi; Other Asian.

Asked if they agreed that families should live according to "honour", 69% agreed, a figure that rose to 75% among young men, compared with 63% of young women.

Root cause
They were also asked if they felt there was ever a justification for so-called "honour killings". Only 3% said that it could be justified.

However, when divided by sex, 6% of young Asian men said that honour killings could be justified, compared with just 1% of Asian women surveyed.

Experts interviewed by the programme argue that the root cause of "honour" crime lies in forced marriage.

Continue reading the main story
Panorama: Find out more

Jane Corbin presents Panorama: Britain's Crimes of Honour BBC One, Monday, 19 March at 8.30pm

Jasvinder Sanghera, a campaigner on behalf of Asian women, fled her parents' home after they attempted to force her into an arranged marriage when she was just 14.

She said it was time for Britain's Asian community leaders to speak out about the honour code, also known as "Izzat" in Urdu.

"I've yet to see community leaders, religious leaders, politicians, Asian councillors give real leadership on this. They don't because they know it makes them unpopular."

Ms Sanghera said the reluctance of community figures to speak out was "extremely irresponsible, it's morally wrong and it's morally blind".

A survey of police forces by the Iranian and Kurdish Women's Rights Organisation (IKWRO) found there were 2,823 incidences of honour crimes a year, or almost eight a day. But those figures are considered a vast underestimate given that 13 of 52 police forces did not respond to the charity's request for a breakdown in November 2011.

Nazir Afzal of the Crown Prosecution Service said the degree of honour crime in Britain - including murders meant to preserve a family's "honour" within their own community - was unknown.

"We don't know the true figure of honour killings. It's anything between 10 and 12 a year in this country. I don't know how many other unmarked graves there are in this country in our green and pleasant land."

Mr Afzal estimates that there are 10,000 forced marriages in Britain every year, and said a measure of multicultural sensitivity was likely part of the problem.

"Forced marriage is the earthquake and what's followed is a tsunami of domestic abuse, sexual abuse, child protection issues, suicide and murder.

"If we can tackle forced marriage then we can prevent all these other things from happening."

BBC News - 'Honour code' supported by young Asians, poll says

You need tohave some honur to understand that.

And what bloody right you have when you kill the largest number of infant/unborn baby girls?

get your own house in order before giving sermons on morality here.

I never understood the concept of honor killings though.

If you feel that the girl/guy has tarnished your reputation, disown her/him and let them go their own way in their life. You have no bloody right to take their life just because they dont agree with your outdated concepts of honor/izzat.And before someone jumps in - I'm not referring to this particular case bu also the honor killings in Punjab,Rajasthan, haryana and the UP.

Surprisingly I have not heard about this concept much in Bihar.

I think parent should also blame for this conflict between eastern vs western culture and for conflict between young and old generation. They raise their kids in western cultures and society and expect them to be 100 % eastern

If vlues are so important for people to kill their own flesh and blood, then they should stay in their cultural environment. Children of immigrant parents already have lots of pressure at home and outside world (school, friends, etc.) to live by.

to bad they were not given sentence to death.

I personally don't get why this honour killing revolve around women only..why men don't bring shame for family if he do the same things..we peoples are hypocrite in many things..
coz men think themselves to be the master of women.

coz men think themselves to be the master of women.
really?

seriously i never heard any men got killed because of honour killing..it prove my point that in our society shame only associated with acts of women..if man smoke he will never be labelled as bad man but if girl do the same things then he will become bad girl

May the soul of the departed rest in Peace.

How can someone kill her daughter (Allah ke rehmat) , if she does something very very wrong . Disown her .

We are no one to take someones life , Life is given by Allah and only Allah can take it back... It is very sad indeed hearing abt this incident.

really?

seriously i never heard any men got killed because of honour killing..it prove my point that in our society shame only associated with acts of women..if man smoke he will never be labelled as bad man but if girl do the same things then he will become bad girl
Yes.man act as master of woman and for that he thinks his 1000 gunaah maaf for him.but he must condemn women to honour killing coz woman challenges his mardangi for with her acts of omissions and commissions according to him which he calls his honour.

Back
Top Bottom