Sexual violence highest in Kashmir amongst conflict ridden regions

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Sexual violence highest in Kashmir amongst conflict ridden regions

By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), also known as Doctors Without Borders, has in a recently published report found that the incidence of sexual violence in Jammu and Kashmir is highest amongst the conflict ridden regions in the world.

The Dutch Nobel Prize winning global network also says problems like mental health and psychological morbidity have increased during the past six years in Jammu and Kashmir. Its report says that a large section of population in the state feels insecure and almost 44 percent have reported mistreatment.

The organisation carried out a survey last year in Budgam and Kupwara districts. An alarming 11.6 percent of respondents said “they had experienced violation of their modesty” – which is far higher than in other conflict areas such as Sierra Leone (2%), Sri Lanka (2%), Chechnya (0%) and Ingushetia (0.1%). More than one in 10 respondents in Kashmir said they had experienced sexual violence during the last three months. As many as 68 respondents (13.3%) had actually witnessed a rape since 1989 and 26 respondents (5.1%) had witnessed rape more than five times.

Almost one-third of respondents said they were so unhappy they were thinking of committing suicide. “Such a high percentage of suicidal tendencies within a population holding strong religious beliefs that condemn the act of suicide is a worrying indicator of the level of despair and hopelessness,” says the report.

The 30-page report says that almost 99.2 percent of people reported having confronted crackdowns and search operations between 1989 and 2005. Some 85.7 percent reported being frisked by security forces.
Almost 39 percent reported damage to their property.
In addition, 33.7 percent said they were forced to work for security forces, while 18.7 percent said they were forced to give shelter to combatants. In the same period, one in six respondents said they had been legally or illegally detained.

The MSF survey reported that almost everyone detained, whether legally or illegally, had been subjected to torture. Three-fourth of respondents were witness to arrests and half of them witnessed mistreatment. Amongst them, 9 percent reported mental problem, while 62 percent suffered from high levels of anxiety.

The survey also found a high incidence of physical complaints including headaches (23.5%), body pains such as joint and back complaints (20.5%), and abdominal complaints (16.9%).

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\12\27\story_27-12-2006_pg1_8

I would love to see a pleb held now.
Does anyone believe that Kashmiri's would volunteer to join India? :rolleeyes:

Whatever Neo, you wont get an inch from Kashmir.

If i am not wrong. Pakistan already controls the half of Kashmir, the other half which is occupied by the Indian forces will be the decision of the people of Kashmir, and when that decision takes place, we can then talk about inches of Kashmir. :tup:

well....lets put it this way.
No matter WHAT the Kashmiris want, they are not going to become a part of Pakistan. Neither an independent state. They will remain in India. Sure some want to join Pakistan, some also wanna remain with India. So no pleb, no whining. Its pretty simple.

well....lets put it this way.
No matter WHAT the Kashmiris want, they are not going to become a part of Pakistan. Neither an independent state. They will remain in India. Sure some want to join Pakistan, some also wanna remain with India. So no pleb, no whining. Its pretty simple.

You Indians' are always in denial., show me where kashmiri's want to be with Indian in Indan occupied J & K either they want to be free., or join Pakistan no one wants to join Indian, come to Chicago, IL and talk to them those that left J & K they curse at India every chance they get. Who said were whinning., as long as you people kill you own selves and superiors it's oki., as long as they giving you headache, this way we know India is kept in check.

Its the way of Indian thinking with which we will have no peace. The Indian policy wants to occupy, oppress the people of Kashmir from being independent, hurt them if they fight back. Its nothing less than what Pakistan Army did to the East Pakistan. Militia is created by itself, Pakistan is only supporting what the people of Kashmir want. They want freedom! :flag:

You Indians' are always in denial., show me where kashmiri's want to be with Indian in Indan occupied J & K

I think India has handful bought out/blackmailed Kashmiris/counter-insurgents (I think they are known as Al-Akhwan) who will say anything India want them to say.

Okay, let me outline some whines for you guys -

1] India is a status-quo power, we want the LOC to be silent, undisturbed, till the time comes when we can change it throuh force.
2] India is not getting bled by Kashmir, actually Kashmir is quite prosperous and contributing handsomely to the state coffers.
3] Indian Army is there to stay. The only movement of the Army will be forward towards azad-kashmir.
4] Musharraf has sold out Kashmir. He does not allow infiltration, we will keep quiet on the Balochistan front.
5] Fence is complete, legitimising the LOC.
6] After 9/11 all Muslim acts of violence are labelled as terrorism. So is Kashmir.

That is why Mushy-*** is on his knees begging to give a hand-job to India on Kashmir.

What will India do ? We will start all bakwaas cultural exchange programs, people-to-people contacts and all that bs.

40 years back, India was weak, we did not compromise on Kashmir, now with we being a regional power what makes the Pakistanis think that we will negotiate ??

Just my honest thoughts.

I wouldnt honestly care about Kashmiri-gaddaars. If they want freedom from India, we will give them the passage to Pakistan / BD.

But the real-estate stays with us. That is rea-politik. $crew the emotional aspect.

Pakistan seems to be forgetting that once the generation which keeps advocating for peace with Pakistan dies out, the new generation will step in.

The younger generation believes in eye for a eye and tooth for a tooth. We saw that in Kargil. Another 10 years more and we will the attitudes change and harden.

What Neo has posted is the Dailytimes version of the original report. Then gave Plebicite opinion to make it more biased.

The report was about effect of Violance on families. Here is the original report

http://www.msf.org/unitedkingdom/in...A21&component=toolkit.report&method=full_html

The irony is that during clashes its militants who instigates violance and try to escape. Police and Army has to do the dirty Job of maintaining Law and Order. It has very bad impact on health of Society.

Whatever Neo, you wont get an inch from Kashmir.

We won't have to come to get it, if things continue to be as described in the article Kasmir would come to us. ;)

Only matter of time, don't forget what led to the partition of British India in the first place and see the paralell concerning security of muslims in Kashmir.
IoC is held by force, not by free will of the Kashmiris.

The irony is that during clashes its militants who instigates violance and try to escape. Police and Army has to do the dirty Job of maintaining Law and Order. It has very bad impact on health of Society.

Come on goodperson, you're telling us there's no misconduct in IoC by IA?
Read the report again about frisking and sheltering by IA, property demage and other things.

Privacy to muslim women, specially Kashmiris is sacred, I'm sure IA men enjoyed frisking them. :disagree:

Back
Top Bottom