What's new

Sentry Gun with face detection.

Best of luck to you guys in the expo inshallah good things will come out of it ...awsome job looks great maybe the Pak armed forces can use this on their bases for extra security.

Further modifications can be made like instead of face detection, it could be motion detection. That was what we originally tried to do. But anyways, this is also not so bad. The project hs not been graded yet. It will be graded on coming saturday. So far we already have won a second prize in hardware exhibition.

First of all, excellent work on your project.

Motion detection can be very useful in secured areas within a certain parameter to detect and ward off any unwanted visitors.

Perhaps it should be coded to pick up a certain size, you wouldn't want to shoot at animals or leafs.

Anyway just a thought.

Hope you get a good grade and go on to bigger and better things.

@BEACONITE

First of all congratulations to your entire team on producing an awesome, innovative work.

I don't know whether you guys came across this video, was actually a prank for this year 01st April by google but these guys made it real using Microsoft kinect- google guys would be embarrassed- but there is hell lot of difference between creating your own sensor and buying a kinect.

As your work focus on face detection and you talked about body motion detection, this video has some demonstration on body motion-hopefully to give you guys some inspiration for any future plans as you already developed face detection or might help increasing range.

By the way what's the range of sensor, I guess it is mounted on top of gun? (I am not technical guy, if my question looks stupid ignore it)

Again very well done:tup: and best of luck for result.

Last edited by a moderator:
BEACONITE,

Congratulations to you and the team for having made this. You guys have done a good job but let me share some of my thoughts about it.

Idea of hitting an intruder with a gun is good but not always required. Also there are better and well developed gun-stands and apparatuses available in the market that can handle the gun and trigger fires when needed. So part of your effort is already done or available off-the-shelf when required.

The area where you guys can really do wonder is Face-Recognition at distance. Your module may not be connected with a gun but just a great face-recognition module attached with high-quality cameras and some controls which could zoom-in/zoom-out and help the camera focus on the face under various light conditions and distances. Now functionality alone would be awesome! After a face is recognized or proven a new face, several action can be taken which can range from killing to just informing the security staff about an intrusion.

Don't leave this product in the half-way. This might be your college project but you can really polish it and produce a world-class security package after spending few years on it. I imagine how convenient it would be if security camera is itself able to recognize who are members of a family/organization and who are not and that will be great many ways. Don't stop at good and learn good is enemy of the great. You guys need to make great and road to greatness takes years.

I wish you luck and a wonderful future ahead. May your shine and your light also make this country shine. Aamin.

Now a days in biometrics its more of a fusion of multiple features to be identified rather than relying on single biometric signature.Your project is very good but you can make it even more practical by making it smooth in its controlling mechanism.The face detection in your project is more of a motion based detection.Face identification is less reliable compared to the others like retinal scanners and also there are features in face that can be extracted but these features as age increases changes differently so task of identification is difficult .If you want to modify and add certain features to take it to the next level in future then there are few suggestions in the context of this project that I want to give.You can have greater amount of freedom in terms of implementation if your project is based on FPGA because micro controller based project are very common, in that case you should have good command on to Vhdl.For face detection or other identifications I propose that you should work on neural networks right away and the best platform to work on these is matlab.

First of all, excellent work on your project.

Motion detection can be very useful in secured areas within a certain parameter to detect and ward off any unwanted visitors.

Perhaps it should be coded to pick up a certain size, you wouldn't want to shoot at animals or leafs.

Anyway just a thought.

Hope you get a good grade and go on to bigger and better things.
Thanks for the good wishes. You are right that it should be coded not to shoot animals or any moving object. So that is why the trigger mechanism is manual. According to our advisor of this project, we shouldn'y give machines much authority to shoot.
I hope you get my point.

@BEACONITE

First of all congratulations to your entire team on producing an awesome, innovative work.

I don't know whether you guys came across this video, was actually a prank for this year 01st April by google but these guys made it real using Microsoft kinect- google guys would be embarrassed- but there is hell lot of difference between creating your own sensor and buying a kinect.

As your work focus on face detection and you talked about body motion detection, this video has some demonstration on body motion-hopefully to give you guys some inspiration for any future plans as you already developed face detection or might help increasing range.

By the way what's the range of sensor, I guess it is mounted on top of gun? (I am not technical guy, if my question looks stupid ignore it)

Again very well done:tup: and best of luck for result.
First of all thank you. For face detection we used a simple cheap USB webcam whose resolution and FPS is not high enough. For increasing the range of detection, a high resolution camera with better FPS can be used. We created this from our own budget without any sponsor. So we did not had a chance to get better and high quality stuff.
The range depends on camera quality. Here it is about 8-10 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
BEACONITE,

Congratulations to you and the team for having made this. You guys have done a good job but let me share some of my thoughts about it.

Idea of hitting an intruder with a gun is good but not always required. Also there are better and well developed gun-stands and apparatuses available in the market that can handle the gun and trigger fires when needed. So part of your effort is already done or available off-the-shelf when required.

The area where you guys can really do wonder is Face-Recognition at distance. Your module may not be connected with a gun but just a great face-recognition module attached with high-quality cameras and some controls which could zoom-in/zoom-out and help the camera focus on the face under various light conditions and distances. Now functionality alone would be awesome! After a face is recognized or proven a new face, several action can be taken which can range from killing to just informing the security staff about an intrusion.

Don't leave this product in the half-way. This might be your college project but you can really polish it and produce a world-class security package after spending few years on it. I imagine how convenient it would be if security camera is itself able to recognize who are members of a family/organization and who are not and that will be great many ways. Don't stop at good and learn good is enemy of the great. You guys need to make great and road to greatness takes years.

I wish you luck and a wonderful future ahead. May your shine and your light also make this country shine. Aamin.
You are talking about face recognition which is nowadays is readily available in laptops. It recognizes your face and then only you are able to login. It can also be implemented here. You can lock on one person, and then a camera will follow its movement. It does not have application related to defense point of view but security point of view as well.
Thanks for the suggestion and for the good wishes :)

Now a days in biometrics its more of a fusion of multiple features to be identified rather than relying on single biometric signature.Your project is very good but you can make it even more practical by making it smooth in its controlling mechanism.The face detection in your project is more of a motion based detection.Face identification is less reliable compared to the others like retinal scanners and also there are features in face that can be extracted but these features as age increases changes differently so task of identification is difficult .If you want to modify and add certain features to take it to the next level in future then there are few suggestions in the context of this project that I want to give.You can have greater amount of freedom in terms of implementation if your project is based on FPGA because micro controller based project are very common, in that case you should have good command on to Vhdl.For face detection or other identifications I propose that you should work on neural networks right away and the best platform to work on these is matlab.

I understand your point. FPGA would have been better but since we did not had any background in it so we moved to micro-controllers.
Thanks for the suggestion though. I will look into neural networks. Next task is to move onto motion detection to face detection,

I saw this Sentry Gun today.....it's really a nice concept!! It's been exhibit in Expo "Re-engineering Pakistan" from 7-9thjune,2011.
And the person given demo was also cooperative as well,in crowdy place he was able to demonstrate us!! :pakistan:Nice WOrk:enjoy:

I saw this Sentry Gun today.....it's really a nice concept!! It's been exhibit in Expo "Re-engineering Pakistan" from 7-9thjune,2011.
And the person given demo was also cooperative as well,in crowdy place he was able to demonstrate us!! :pakistan:Nice WOrk:enjoy:
Good to hear that you were there. Maybe you should have asked about me there then it would have been better. My name is Hamza though.
Till now we received a great reponse Mashallah. I will be there on wednesday and thursday aswell. Hope to see more peple there.
Regards

Back
Top Bottom