What's new

Self Defence Weapons

Kharian_Beast

Reaction score
Just curious if any members would like to share in what they think is the best self defence weapon for a civilian or member of the armed forces while not at work :what:

I personally have a thing for semi auto pistols, I'm looking at getting one but am not sure of which to buy in terms of calibre and manufacturer, though I've been looking at Glock, H&K and Beretta some what. Anyone with any insight? I know that 9mm is the cheapest ammo to use but I don't want the price of ammo to influence my decision. I'm not in a position to try every single gun to see which one is perfect so I will have to narrow it down to 2 models, maybe you guys can help me.

:enjoy:

If I do consider a 9mm I will also go for something with more stopping power, maybe something in .40 or .45 though I can't decide. .357 might be overkill.

Glock 9mm with Federal Hydra-Shok is my personal choice. Federal 9mm EFMJ is also a good round with slightly higher velocity than the Hydra-Shok. Hydra-Shok has more energy because of the 134 grain bullet...... providing more stopping power.

You will have to try a few handguns to see what feels good. If you know someone that has a handgun that you might consider, buy some ammo and go shoot some targets.

Please invest in a good holster. I cannot stress enough on the importance of a good holster. No point in a handgun if you cannot draw it in time.

If you don't mind me asking. Did you encounter something recently that has made you think of getting a handgun?

Last edited:
It totally depends on your "fears" or needs. You cannot decide to get a weapon merely on bases of keeping one for the self defense. Self defense perception is as complex as deciding to shoot someone or not. You can defend yourself with a knife too for that matter. So it totally depends on the situation you might fear of, that you need a weapon to carry around you.

I see a lot of brothers here suggested 9mm (seems like its the most famous in Pak). But 9mm is not a man stopper. You'd probably need to pack a couple of bullets before you can stop someones' aggression, given you have time to unload two shots into someone, on target.

.45acp is the best calibre you can get in defensive action but let me tell you bro, .50 - the thing it will hit will die before it will fell on to the ground. And Deagle is the most lethal of all in .50 and the largest handgun ever made.

It also depends on your hand size, how big it is, or how big gun it can handle, plus the mechanism of your wrist, that how much kick it can handle. I couldn't handle Deagle and I can use AK with one hand, 99% of the time on target.

But in defensive actions, you really don't need an accurate shot, anything waist up would do. ;) Kho yes anything below .45acp, would require either high accuracy or a few bullets before you can stop the enemy.

But, IF you avoid the bullet diameter difference, then the .40 can shoot 180's about as fast as .45acp's can shoot 185's and 9mms. Double Tap's 220-grain Precision FP is listed as 1125 fps, Buffalo Bore's 200-grain FMJ is listed as 1200 fps. Where Desert eagle can reach up to 3000fps.

So you deffinately need to know your requirement and handling capacity before you get the weapon. Also if it is something you want as prominant under the shirt for scaring tactics, or something concealed... makes one big difference in selecting a gun there too.

Or is it just for fancy purposes?

I can suggest a few if I know what are the needs and in what circumstances it will be used.

If you get a personal defence weapon... you better be ready to use deadly force.... no questions asked. Know how to use your weapon be it your personal "canon" like the .50 Desert Eagle. You would want something concealable.

I've been in 2 life threatening situations personally. Anyone pointing a gun at me or my family is going down. Absolutely no questions asked. You also have to be calm enough to calculate the situation and odds.

The most popular handgun caliber in Pakistan is not the 9mm but 7.62x25 Tokarev, commonly know as TT pistol in Pakistan. Cheap gun cheap ammo.

A shot with a decent hollow point around the torso area will probably lead to death given the bullet doesn't hit a bone and gets deflected. The amount of damage done internally is very very bad. Even if the trauma doctors manage to mend the initial damage to the organs and tissue..... severe trauma to the muscle tissue disolves it and releases as potassium.

If considering a Glock, make sure its 3rd gen. One thing about the Glock, it won't win any beauty contests but it is one reliable handgun.

You can get impact exploding rounds for the .45. The also work as tracers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to PakmanUSA, tamir and Pashtun for reviving this thread :tup:. I had a lengthy and nicely written response typed up but I got signed out in the process and my whole response was lost ( I personally think getting signed out during a few minutes of "inactivity" is a giant annoyance with this forum) :angry:

At first I was debating whether to get a revolver or semi auto, but I think the advantages of the latter are far too great to overlook.

Basically I needed this weapon for personal defense and concealment purposes. Over the past few months since starting this thread I have tried the HK USP40 Compact and Glock 26 & 27. I liked the HK but I found a few quirks I wasn't really fond of such as the cheap trigger and considerable bulk and weight of the frame compared to the Glocks.

I purchased the Glock 27 after the first time I fired it, it was just perfect for what I need and the .40 round is a great option between a 9 mm and .45 IMO (more capacity in the magazine than a .45 and harder hitting than a 9mm). It is the new generation, and the lack of external safeties allows for quick action when needed. I am still in the market for one more handgun or possibly shotgun to keep in the house as the Glock 27 usually sits in my car or office when not directly on me.

I would really love to try the FN Five Seven but I heard that the unavailability of military grade ammunition renders this gun less effective than what it is hyped up to be. As I am purchasing this weapon outside of Pakistan, I am not sure about the availability of 7.62 x 25 ammo and really haven't seen anyone own one or sell them in my neck of the woods though I can imagine the effectiveness.

.50 DE I find a bad option for self defense due to sheer bulk and overkill tendency + huge recoil, sometimes all you need to do is wound your aggressor, not blow his torso off! But for sheer sh!ts and giggles, I guess it is worth owning one :P

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking. Did you encounter something recently that has made you think of getting a handgun?

Well while I was away at work one day someone had broken into my utility shed but I think my dogs (a trusty Doberman and an overfed German Shepherd) scared whoever was there because nothing appeared to be missing, though there were obvious signs of a break-in. I have noticed increasing levels of crime around in my town though none in my immediate area except for this half assed robbery attempt. Now I have a Glock 27 and surveillance cameras in certain areas of my house and pointed outside, and I'm still in the market for 1 more handgun or possibly shotgun. :yahoo:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom