What's new

Secular India On Eid, Ahmedabad mall charges entry fee from Muslims

do you really think its fair? by charging from minority? use common sense. read the whole article.

Do you want to know why they did it and will do it even during Diwali? Do you really want to know the truth , because it spelt out clearly in the article.

It has nothing to do with being Muslims or anti religion period. I'm always tickled that people don't read or comprehend the article and then just post with assumptions. I will give you and anyone else an opportunity to read the article again! before I will explain why it is not anti Muslim , let alone anti religion .

the article was clearly an erotica penned to give pakistanis material for collective orgasm

as with the genre, it was a piece of fiction, outcome of the writer's vivid imagination, though. As expected, the target audience did not even realize it.
This is what the Mall actually implemented

zi5b.jpg

a sensible move, shows perfect understanding of human behaviour. wouldn't mind if implemented by all Mall owners everywhere

ironic, it is, that QWERTY Mujahids feel no compunctions in quoting from the "TOIlet" when the news nourishes their prejudices, but dismiss the news & the source as "toilet" when it goes against the prevalent narrative of pakistan.

We, in the civilized world have coined a couple of terms for such behavior - we call it hypocrisy, intellectual dishonesty, duplicity

Text-book cases of such behavior on display by the natives of this forum.

just to experience the pleasure in puncturing balloons

A day after controversy erupted at Himalaya Mall over visitors being charged Rs 20 entry fee, the mall authorities scrapped the decision and made entry free for all. On Saturday, the mall witnessed mad rush and minor skirmishes were also reported, forcing the authorities to seek help from cops to control the crowd.

“The mall authorities requested us to provide them paid security. We have deployed four constables at the mall till Sunday. No other mall has approached us. Last year, too, we had provided security to Himalaya Mall,” said Vastrapur inspector M K Rana. “A lot of young shoppers are creating nuisance. People have been spitting and littering the place despite the presence of a security guard and police officials.

We were expecting good business during festival season but it seems impossible. After witnessing brawls and indecent behaviour many customers went back without buying anything. It was better if only genuine customers visited. A small entry fee, which would be reimbursed at the stores upon purchase of products, meant no harm,” said a shopkeeper who has his footwear showroom in the mall. On Friday, there were allegations that only Muslims were being charged an entry fee. However, Amit Chadda,a businessman from Sidhhpur who had brought his family for a shopping trip, was also made to pay Rs 20.

“I haven’t heard of a mall that charges an entry fee. I was stunned when I had to shell out money for the coupon,” said Amit. The mall was forced to withdraw the decision of charging an entry fee following protests and media reports. “You can see for yourself the result of doing away with the entry fee system. There was mad rush at the mall today and we even witnessed brawls,” said Deepa Bhatnagar, Manager (Operations), Himalaya Mall. On Friday, she had told the media, “We introduced the concept to ensure only genuine customers visit the mall. Last year, there were many scuffles in the mall and we had to seek police help.”

Mall scraps

Absolutely ridiculous!

What a stupid idea....

Now, poor indian Muslims are not even welcomed to shop at malls on their festivals...

do you really think its fair? by charging from minority? use common sense. read the whole article.

It is called racial profiling and a private mall cannot afford to target its own customers. Indian shoppers have plenty of malls to choose from if they think they are targeted unjustly. I agree with you that they should have charged everyone to avoid misunderstanding. Maybe they are trying to target youngsters who happen to hang around the malls to cause trouble to the management. If there is an entrance fee these gangs will go somewhere else.

Lie! TOI was caught with red hands trying to gain cheap TRPs on this.

The lie has already been debunked and someone has already filed a complaint against TOI for disrupting communal harmony and spreading false message.

I knew that Pakistanis would take this up.

Here is for the great protectors of Secularism: Muslims: :D (What an irony)

http://www.niticentral.com/2013/08/10/toi-says-ahmedabad-mall-charged-muslims-on-eid-tweeters-expose-lie-116744.html

The people living there have confirmed that the charges were for ALL.

TOI is a shameless twit.

Well in secular India, Muslims get to attack Hindus for free after Eid prayers in Jammu with no action taken from police.

So don't cry about it.

Lie! TOI was caught with red hands trying to gain cheap TRPs on this.

The lie has already been debunked and someone has already filed a complaint against TOI for disrupting communal harmony and spreading false message.

I knew that Pakistanis would take this up.

Here is for the great protectors of Secularism: Muslims: :D (What an irony)

ToI says Ahmedabad mall charged Muslims on Eid, tweeters expose lie | Niti Central

The people living there have confirmed that the charges were for ALL.

TOI is a shameless twit.

Well in secular India, Muslims get to attack Hindus for free after Eid prayers in Jammu with no action taken from police.

So don't cry about it.

More than half your problems can e attributed to the fact that you devour trashy websites of all hues. Going to niticentral is no different from going to rupeenews.

TOI is a shameless twit.

So don't cry about it.

lol..Muslims attack Hindus after Eid prayers? stop propaganda...

Absolutely ridiculous!

What a stupid idea....

Now, poor indian Muslims are not even welcomed to shop at malls on their festivals...

It seems poor Islamists doing reverse hizarat to non Muslim USA are not allowed to park in some malls as well?

And yes, partition was good. Two nation theory stands justified.

Yet again.

AHMEDABAD: A trip in the celebratory spirit of Eid turned out to be an experience in discrimination for many Muslims in Narendra Modi's Gujarat. The Himalaya Mall, among the five biggest malls in Ahmedabad, on Friday announced a fee of Rs 20 from visitors from the minority community, to be returned to them only if they bought anything from the mall, and retained if they didn't.

Many felt it was discrimination against a specific group on Eid when footfalls at the mall peaked.

"The security personnel were being selective. We saw people walking past without paying any fee. When we asked the security guards, they said that they have orders to follow and asked us to pay up. We're shocked," said Saiyad Shaikh, a resident of Delhi Chakla, who had come to the mall with his family.

Iliyas Ansari, who stays in Shahpur, said, "We're willing to pay entry fee provided the mall charges it from everybody. Why discriminate against just one community?"

Deepa Bhatnagar, manager (operations) of Himalaya Mall, told TOI that it was a routine move to check visitors on a busy day. "We had employed the same mechanism in the past to keep troublemakers out. We are planning to charge entry fee during the coming festive season including Diwali. The fee is being returned if any purchase is made, so the entry is practically free," she said.

Mall officials said that against a routine daily footfall of around 10,000, Friday saw a surge in the numbers to around 30,000. About the selective demand of entry fee, she said the administration had decided to exclude women and senior citizens only. "There was no attempt to exclude anybody or charge specific persons. And, Rs 20 is hardly a deterrent," she said.

However, this correspondent observed a distinct pattern in which entry was allowed. Youth from specific age groups of the minority community were being scrutinized and asked to pay the fee while whereas women and many others were allowed to walk in without being charged.

Mall officials said last year during Eid they saw two group clashes inside the mall and a glass wall was broken. On Friday, the number of security personnel was increased and a team of policemen was deployed inside as well as outside the mall as authorities did not want any "trouble".

Times View

Any discrimination on the basis of religion is unconstitutional and should not be tolerated. Such communal profiling shows that a deep divide persists in Gujarat, notwithstanding chief minister Narendra Modi's 'Sadbhavana' mission.

On Eid, Ahmedabad mall charges entry fee from Muslims - The Times of India

This is called yellow journalism: Red part shows it was done previously also and during other community’s festivals.

Blue part shows the selective exclusion is for women and senior citizen.

Green part reconfirms the blue part only, but the journalist twisted the facts while writing the report.

How they recognise who is Muslim or hindu? sensationalism of times

Its actually stupid idea of Mall to stop young people from window shopping

Exactly!! This happens when wrong people come into journalism, or some particular media house take a policy of irresponsible sensationalism to increase profits. And this particular media house creates a mountain out of a mole for every little thing, Pakistan, China, USA, and what not.

the article was clearly an erotica penned to give pakistanis material for collective orgasm

as with the genre, it was a piece of fiction, outcome of the writer's vivid imagination, though. As expected, the target audience did not even realize it.
This is what the Mall actually implemented

zi5b.jpg

a sensible move, shows perfect understanding of human behaviour. wouldn't mind if implemented by all Mall owners everywhere

ironic, it is, that QWERTY Mujahids feel no compunctions in quoting from the "TOIlet" when the news nourishes their prejudices, but dismiss the news & the source as "toilet" when it goes against the prevalent narrative of pakistan.

We, in the civilized world have coined a couple of terms for such behavior - we call it hypocrisy, intellectual dishonesty, duplicity

Text-book cases of such behavior on display by the natives of this forum.

just to experience the pleasure in puncturing balloons

Mall scraps

Thanks for the post, this should end the debate.

why are pakistanis always trying to downplay india's secular nature? my guess is because this charectar downplays the reason for your existence and national identity

You are right.. India's secularism succeeding would imply Jinnah was wrong in his assumptions.. Something which strikes at the core of Pakistani belief system.. Hence its necessary to take Pakistani jibes about Secularism in India with a pinch of salt

What ridiculous. I am hindu, and I was charged to enter Himalaya mall just because I wanted to eat at a reasturent thr. I live very near by this mall.

It was over crowded on Eid. So they were charging all men.NO women or children were charged.

How they recognise who is Muslim or hindu? sensationalism of times

Its actually stupid idea of Mall to stop young people from window shopping

They are not really there for window shopping. They are there to "look at girls" and create nuisance for everyone. Not Muslims or Hindus, but your average good for nothing teenager and young adults.

Good move by the mall I say.

Back
Top Bottom