What's new

SCIENTISTS DISCOVER MICROORGANISM THAT CAN TAKE CO2 OUT OF THE ATMOSPHERE

Yeah most of the Earth's atmosphere is made up of Nitrogen 70%, Oxygen 20%, and then the remaining gasses are Argon ~5%, CO2 and others.

less % of CO2 in atmosphere is anothr basic reason why dis expermient wudnt further thrive so easily?

Yeah most of the Earth's atmosphere is made up of Nitrogen 70%, Oxygen 20%, and then the remaining gasses are Argon ~5%, CO2 and others.

To clarify so i dont look like an ignorant that doesnt know what he is breathing: I thought CO2 part is a bit bigger then 0.03, the main composition of gases i knew from before. :P

What do you people make of this:

A team of Virginia Tech researchers has discovered a way to extract large quantities of hydrogen from any plant, a breakthrough that has the potential to bring a low-cost, environmentally friendly fuel source to the world.

"Our new process could help end our dependence on fossil fuels," said Y.H. Percival Zhang, an associate professor of biological systems engineering in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the College of Engineering. "Hydrogen is one of the most important biofuels of the future." Zhang and his team have succeeded in using xylose, the most abundant simple plant sugar, to produce a large quantity of hydrogen that previously was attainable only in theory. Zhang's method can be performed using any source of biomass.

More detailed article at http://phys.org/news/2013-04-breakthrough-hydrogen-fuel-production-revolutionize.html#ajTabs

How feasible is this on the big scale if at all? You guys seem to know a lot about biology. :)

Well this all sounds scary. I don't like the new western philosophy to "save" the world by genetically damaging (engineering) organisms which are born retarded. Then letting people consume these creatures, without ever thinking of the side effects.

As long as big American cooperation make money, who cares..

To clarify so i dont look like an ignorant that doesnt know what he is breathing: I thought CO2 part is a bit bigger then 0.03, the main composition of gases i knew from before. :P

More detailed article at Breakthrough in hydrogen fuel production could revolutionize alternative energy market

How feasible is this on the big scale if at all? You guys seem to know a lot about biology. :)

coz dis stupid subject happns to be in our course
mini-graphics-texts-210481.gif

its not juz bio but chemistry too if u recall da gases n experiments of them wid other metals/gases

More detailed article at Breakthrough in hydrogen fuel production could revolutionize alternative energy market

50_composition_of_the_earth.gif

Source: BBC

CO2 does make .03% of the Earth's atmosphere, now you may have gotten that confused with CO2 percentage of green house gasses in the Earth's atmosphere. Did you know the most potent and prominent greenhouse gas is actually water vapor in the Earth's atmosphere? It traps more heat than any other gas in the atmosphere and accounts for the vast majority of the greenhouse gasses in the Earth's atmosphere, other things like CO2 and Methane and CFCs are minute in comparison but add to the greenhouse gas. The difference is water vapor is naturally occurring green house gas, gases such as CO2 and methane are not purely contributed by human activity but by a large part, especially after the Industrial Revolution.

The Pie chart below is from the EPA, it shows the percent composition of Green house gases by PEOPLE'S activity, and on that scale CO2 makes up more than 50% of the green house gasses in the atmosphere.

chart1-2-2.gif

Source: EPA.Gov

So be sure to recognize difference between overall total gases in the Earth's atmosphere from green house gases in the atmosphere.

Well this all sounds scary. I don't like the new western philosophy to "save" the world by genetically damaging (engineering) organisms which are born retarded. Then letting people consume these creatures, without ever thinking of the side effects.

As long as big American cooperation make money, who cares..

did u watch The Invasion? it wz on same thin ur talkin abt....

the problem is not genetically engineering these microbes but to stabilize them and find ways to destroy them once used....

50_composition_of_the_earth.gif

Source: BBC

CO2 does make .03% of the Earth's atmosphere, now you may have gotten that confused with CO2 percentage of green house gasses in the Earth's atmosphere. Did you know the most potent and prominent greenhouse gas is actually water vapor in the Earth's atmosphere? It traps more heat than any other gas in the atmosphere and accounts for the vast majority of the greenhouse gasses in the Earth's atmosphere, other things like CO2 and Methane and CFCs are minute in comparison but add to the greenhouse gas. The difference is water vapor is naturally occurring green house gas, gases such as CO2 and methane are not purely contributed by human activity but by a large part, especially after the Industrial Revolution.

The Pie chart below is from the EPA, it shows the percent composition of Green house gases by PEOPLE'S activity, and on that scale CO2 makes up more than 50% of the green house gasses in the atmosphere.

chart1-2-2.gif

Source: EPA.Gov

So be sure to recognize difference between overall total gases in the Earth's atmosphere from green house gases in the atmosphere.

dat explains it completly....thnx

I haven't read to much about this but the great thing about Hydrogen is it is I think the most abundant element there is in the Universe so there is plenty of it, it is lightest of all elements known which is good because if you want an energy source you want it to be light. Now Hydrogen is commonly used in forms of Hydrocarbons meaning it is attached to the central atom Carbon, Carbon as you may know is a very unique element as it can form multiple bonds making it a versatile element to use in scientific and other applications. So hydrogen does do a good job of carrying energy like a battery.

why destroy them??
@Alpha1 we do not want hyperactive microbes producing too much of anything ...it will disrupt the natural balance! Esp because these are not Naturally occurring activities but Biotechnologically engineered

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem is not genetically engineering these microbes but to stabilize them and find ways to destroy them once used....

If these microbes use CO2 as an energy source and these microbes are kept in a controlled environment, then simply depriving them of CO2 will kill them as they will no longer be able to create energy for their biological functions.

@Alpha1 we do not want hyperactive microbes producing too much of anything ...it will disrupt the natural balance! Esp because these are not Naturally occurring activities but Biotechnologically engineered
WHich is very important indeed! sis

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom