What's new

Schwarzenegger checks out China's high-speed rail

challenger

BANNED
Reaction score
Schwarzenegger checks out China's high-speed rail - World news - Asia-Pacific - China - msnbc.com

By ELAINE KURTENBACH

updated 9/12/2010 2:16:05 AM ET
Share Print Font:

8vofba.jpg

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger inspects a China's high-speed train at Hongqiao Railway Station in Shanghai, China, Sunday, Sept. 12, 2010. Schwarzenegger is riding the rails, China's new high speed train lines, engaging in a little window shopping while peddling Californian exports and tourism in the world's second-largest economy. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)

SHANGHAI — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is engaging in a little window-shopping of China's new high-speed train lines while peddling Californian exports and tourism in the world's second-largest economy.
His own state budget $19 billion in the red, Schwarzenegger says he is hoping for some "creative financing" from Asia to help lower costs and get California's proposed high-speed rail lines up and running.
Industry experts say cash-rich China may be best placed to help with funding, and less risk averse than others whose banks are still recovering from the financial crisis. That could prove a key competitive advantage as it goes head-to-head against better established high-speed rivals rail in Asia and Europe.
"That is something very attractive about the Chinese which the Europeans will find very difficult to compete with," said Michael Clausecker, director general of Unife, the Association of the European Rail Industry. "Even in America, finance is a scarce resource. Rail investments need a lot of investment up front."
China has invested huge prestige, and tens of billions of dollars, in its high-speed rail industry — building on mostly European know-how acquired in joint ventures with Siemens AG, Alstom SA and to a lesser extent Japan's "Shinkansen" bullet train operators. It is gearing up to fight for a chunk of what Unife estimates to be a 122 billion euros ($155 billion)-a-year global market for railways.
Schwarzenegger posed for photos Sunday on a high-speed train in Shanghai, after spending Saturday, the first day of his weeklong trade mission of nearly 100 business leaders, hobnobbing in Hangzhou with Jack Ma, founder of Internet trading behemoth Alibaba.com, and other Chinese entrepreneurs.
"Today what I have seen is very, very impressive. We hope China is part of the bidding process, along with other countries around the world, so that we can build high speed rail as inexpensively as possible," he told reporters.

Its funny on one side americans talk about countering china via India and other side they are looking for Chinese investment in railway. How about some barter trade with broke state of California?? Seriously I have started to get a feel that Obama government is absolute failure in strategy building.

American silently assited peaceful rise of China by trade and manufacturing as their Asian heavy weight ally and Obama wants to spill cold water all over that.

now you're just making me jealous.....:toast_sign:

I had checked it out a few days ago in a train fromTinajin to Beijing which speed up to 327km/h that displyed on the screen in the cab.An Indian look like handsome boy just taken a seat hehind me.
The view through the windows is amazing.It makes me believe China is really a modern country now.

Last edited:
I had checked it out a few days ago in a train fromTinajin to Beijing which speed up to 327km/h that displyed on the screen in the cab.The view through
the windows is amazing.It makes me believe China is really a morden country now.

High speed rail tech is not a joke. A few countries have so far achieved this success. :china:

governor_179534f.jpg

When one machine meets another :rofl:. Wonder if he is going to tow the train back to Schwarzenegger land via rowboat.

Schwarzenegger has been very helpful in boosting trade between China and California. He can be a charming ambassador for his state.

72_2613132_e028361ef26d6e03a1ee438d19321fd2.jpg

Schwarzenegger with Alibaba's founder and CEO Jack Ma at the Internet commerce giant's annual conference in Hangzhou. Schwarzenegger presented a pair of sunglasses and Terminator jacket to Ma to thank his participation in a state of California initiative which will lead to the creation of 20,000 jobs.

Its funny on one side americans talk about countering china via India and other side they are looking for Chinese investment in railway. How about some barter trade with broke state of California?? Seriously I have started to get a feel that Obama government is absolute failure in strategy building.

American silently assited peaceful rise of China by trade and manufacturing as their Asian heavy weight ally and Obama wants to spill cold water all over that.

I know. China should tell USA to go to India for investment in railways.

Some observation about China, U.S and high-speed railway. China is spending over $120 billion on railway alone this year, meanwhile spending about $100 billion on military. Obama is purposing a $50 billion 'second stimulus package' for road, railways and airport construction, comparing with a $600+ billion military budget.

Actually I think its a good deal for the US, if US had the full technology of high speed railway and China wanted to build the infrastructure the cost which American companies would charge will be staggering. Now that China has developed a good deal of the technology and if US got them to build it the cost would probably be half of what they would have charged if the other way round.

Back
Top Bottom