What's new

SC restores PIL challenging Sharia courts

Soumitra

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

NEW DELHI: More than four months after a bench headed by then CJI Altamas Kabir had dismissed a PIL challenging the fatwas issued by Shariat courts running a parallel judicial system in the country, the Supreme Court on Monday restored it for hearing.

A bench headed by Justice C K Prasad restored the PIL filed by advocate Vishwa Lochan Madan for hearing on November 11 despite objections from the Centre, a decision that would force the government to articulate its position on Shariat courts and the fatwas issued by them.

Madan pleaded for restoration of the PIL for hearing after informing it that his absence because of his mother's ill health on May 10 had resulted in its dismissal.

The petitioner argued that Shariat courts were unconstitutional and operated as parallel courts in the country deciding on religious and social freedoms of Muslim citizens. It sought a declaration that these courts were unconstitutional.

Madan also argued that the fundamental rights of Muslims could not be controlled and curtailed through fatwas issued by qazis and muftis appointed by Muslim organizations. However, he clarified that the prayers contained in his PIL should not be seen as an attempt to introduce Uniform Civil Code in the country.

SC restores PIL challenging Sharia courts - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: More than four months after a bench headed by then CJI Altamas Kabir had dismissed a PIL challenging the fatwas issued by Shariat courts running a parallel judicial system in the country, the Supreme Court on Monday restored it for hearing.

A bench headed by Justice C K Prasad restored the PIL filed by advocate Vishwa Lochan Madan for hearing on November 11 despite objections from the Centre, a decision that would force the government to articulate its position on Shariat courts and the fatwas issued by them.

Madan pleaded for restoration of the PIL for hearing after informing it that his absence because of his mother's ill health on May 10 had resulted in its dismissal.

The petitioner argued that Shariat courts were unconstitutional and operated as parallel courts in the country deciding on religious and social freedoms of Muslim citizens. It sought a declaration that these courts were unconstitutional.

Madan also argued that the fundamental rights of Muslims could not be controlled and curtailed through fatwas issued by qazis and muftis appointed by Muslim organizations. However, he clarified that the prayers contained in his PIL should not be seen as an attempt to introduce Uniform Civil Code in the country.

Clearly Altamas Kabir was a 'secular' muslim chief Justice appointed by Manino Madam.

Reminds me of another 'secular' muslim judge who sat on the Ram Janmabhoomi case and gave the judgement that the nature of the Ruin under the Mosque was 'indeterminable' :lol: ..............but oops .... they are Indians first and then muslim. How clumsy of me. :oops:

And these are supposed to be the best of 'impartial' Muslim intellectuals in India. :angel:

Clearly Altamas Kabir was a 'secular' muslim chief Justice appointed by Manino Madam.

Reminds me of another 'secular' muslim judge who sat on the Ram Janmabhoomi case and gave the judgement that the nature of the Ruin under the Mosque was 'indeterminable' :lol: ..............but oops .... they are Indians first and then muslim. How clumsy of me. :oops:

And these are supposed to be the best of 'impartial' Muslim intellectuals in India. :angel:

Reason why Muslims are not appointed to high posts. They cant think beyond religion.

You are being a tad unfair here. it is mentioned in the article that the first time the petition was dismissed was because the petitioner was not present in court to defend the same.

Reason why Muslims are not appointed to high posts. They cant think beyond religion.

oh...tauba tauba....you RSS chadiwala .....how dare you.

...they are 'secular', you are not :cheesy:

On a more serious note , how many Muslims do you think, look onto Ex-Prez. Abdul Kalam as a role model as compared to altamas kabir or Azam Khan ?

You are being a tad unfair here. it is mentioned in the article that the first time the petition was dismissed was because the petitioner was not present in court to defend the same.

I only read the part that you posted and nowhere did it say that.

If the case was dismissed the first time, it must be without merit. If it was with merit then how can absence of petitioner make them dismiss the case? they could always have postponed it.

In which case, why allow it again now ?

oh...tauba tauba....you RSS chadiwala .....how dare you.

...they are 'secular', you are not :cheesy:

On a more serious note , how many Muslims do you think, look onto Ex-Prez. Abdul Kalam as a role model as compared to altamas kabir or Azam Khan ?

Kalam was there for a reason...and we better not reveal it on this forum.

Anyway, president is not an executive post. I talking about COAS, Home Minister, PM, ....

Kalam was there for a reason...and we better not reveal it on this forum.

Anyway, president is not an executive post. I talking about COAS, Home Minister, PM, ....

I happen to like Kalam and I think he was a genuine leader who was in touch with the cultural and social ethos of ancient and present India.

He is indeed an inspirational figure who rose from being the son of a poor muslim fisherman to become a leading Scientist in India and then our President. Only problem being, not too many muslims in India see him as a 'true' inspirational figure.

I happen to like Kalam and I think he was a genuine leader who was in touch with the cultural and social ethos of ancient and present India.

He is indeed an inspirational figure who rose from being the son of a poor muslim fisherman to become a leading Scientist in India and then our President. Only problem being, not too many muslims in India see him as a 'true' inspirational figure.

Nothing to dislike him. Though his fame far exceeds his talents or contributions.

Take for example - "Father of the bomb". How in the world can a rocket scientist from DRDO, who knows nothing of nuclear physics, be the father of the bomb? No one knows the actual scientists from the AEC who made the bomb.

Nothing to dislike him. Though his fame far exceeds his talents or contributions.

Take for example - "Father of the bomb". How in the world can a rocket scientist from DRDO, who knows nothing of nuclear physics, be the father of the bomb? No one knows the actual scientists from the AEC who made the bomb.

Somebody who rose to become the Head of DRDO and then the Scientific Adviser to the PM of India has already proven his 'Talent'.

Somebody who prevented Sonia Gandhi from becoming the PM of India has rightful claim to fame. ..though he has later refused by saying he had no hand in it, but sonia certainly did not let him become Prez. for a second time :angel:

He is not responsible for the title of 'father of the bomb' so its quite unfair to blame him for that. That would be like saying Narendra Modi is 'maut ka saudagar'. See how it works ?

BTW the whole concept of making a nuclear bomb is quite simple. Its the manufacturing, engineering, testing, analyzing, etc.. that is the tough part. There is NO 'one' person who has done that, it is usually a HUGE team. That is why the Head of the program gets the credit.

Indira Gandhi did not liberate Bangladesh herself, but she still gets the credit.

:omghaha:

Well these Non Muslim Baboons r so stupid that they even dont know what fatwa is and who issues it. Courts issue orders not Fatwa which mean opinion.

:omghaha:

Well these Non Muslim Baboons r so stupid that they even dont know what fatwa is and who issues it. Courts issue orders not Fatwa which mean opinion.

It is not so stupid because Muslim Baboons in India consider fatwas higher than formal court orders.

It is not so stupid because Muslim Baboons in India consider fatwas higher than formal court orders.

LOL Muslim Baboons in a Non Muslim Country out of their lack of knowledge abt Islam may think like that but that doesnt mean a News paper report should do same basic mistake.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom