What's new

SC orders govt to implement 2007 Lal Masjid judgment

All-Green

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Here I was hoping that the verdict would be to ban Maulana Abdul Aziz and his wife and maybe (just maybe) actually try them in a terrorist court for their primary role in indoctrinating their student with religion driven violence and thuggery prior to the military operation.
In context of the eve of the military operation; I would have expected the court to further punish this couple as despite the window of surrender/escape given to all, this man and his wife saved themselves and yet claim that "innocent students" were still in the seminary!

The height of shamelessness and audacity shown by these goons and their supporters actually pales in comparison with such stupid, ignorant and politically motivated rulings of our courts.
Our Judicial history is full of nonsense with few exceptions, however this ruling is right up there!

To appoint Umm-e-Hassan as principal of an education institute through court order is perhaps something akin to appointing Maulana Fazlullah as a student Counselor in the local university...
It is like bringing a matchstick to a room full of TNT!

Why the desecration of the Quran is being given so much importance is beyond the sane mind, it was a seminary and any military action could have resulted in fire etc. Why to consider this an item worth investigating when it was just a possible consequence of the operation and never the intent?
Should the many violent and unlawful actions of the Lal Masjid goons which resulted in this operation not merit more attention?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SC orders govt to implement 2007 Lal Masjid judgment
NASIR IQBAL — PUBLISHED ABOUT 4 HOURS AGO

ISLAMABAD: Nine years have slipped away, but the bloody events of the 2007 Lal Masjid standoff have refused to recede. Describing the perceived lack of implementation on the part of the government as an “enigma”, the Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered the government to explain what steps it has taken to comply with its Oct 2, 2007 judgment.

“Now, the procrastination needs to end,” said Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, while heading a two judge Supreme Court bench. The court has taken up a set of petitions against killings on the premises of Lal Masjid and Jamia Hafsa during the July 2007 military operation.

The Lal Masjid conflict began when students from Jamia Hafsa occupied the adjacent Children’s Library on Jan 22, 2007, in response to the razing of seven ‘unauthorised’ mosques by the city’s administration.

The confrontation escalated in the following month, erupting into armed clashes resulting in the death of a Rangers official on July 3, 2007 by gunfire from the mosque. The army was called in the same night, and special forces stormed the mosque after the suspension of water and electricity supply failed to subdue the alleged militants within the mosque.

On Wednesday, the court asked the government to submit an implementation report, after Advocate Tariq Asad – representing the petitioners – argued that the government failed to reply to any of the court’s directions in its earlier judgment, adding that the government’s response that it failed to gather any evidence to prove claims of the desecration of the Holy Quran was incorrect.

Govt ordered to submit implementation report within one week
These petitions were filed in 2007 as well as in 2010 by a number of aggrieved individuals.

The court ordered Deputy Attorney General (DAG) Sohail Mehmood to submit a complete record of the government’s investigation into the allegations of the defiling of the Holy Quran during the operation.

“If an order is passed by this court then it has to be complied with,” the court observed, adding that the matter cannot be swept under the carpet or hushed up with flimsy arguments, or deferred on one pretext or the other.

Expressing dissatisfaction with the government’s response, Justice Khan said: “What has been done in pursuance of its order is still an enigma, and even [a] riddle.”

Referring to its October 2007 judgment, the court told the DAG it did not believe that any of the questions raised in the earlier judgment was answered in direct terms.

Authored by retired Justice Mohammad Nawaz Abbasi, the judgment had required the Islamabad police to verify the antecedents of innocent individuals killed in the Lal Masjid incident, and to record statements of their legal heirs to determine their entitlement for compensation in the form of diyat, or blood money.

The order also required the Islamabad sessions judge to make compensation payments to the legal heirs of those victims who were determined to have been innocent.

The judgment stated that the process for the payment of compensation should have been completed within two months.

The judgment also ordered the Capital Development Authority (CDA) to consider the construction of a hostel with a girls’ seminary, in addition to a research centre. It stated that the total area in the use of Jamia Hafsa, subject to all just exceptions, be treated as part of the institutions and research centre for religious education. It said efforts should be made to complete this construction within a year.

The 2007 order had also asked the government to accommodate the students of Jamia Hafsa who were displaced by the incident, thereby discontinuing their studies. In the event that the government did not provide such a site, the order said the students should be accommodated in a separate wing of the Jamia Fareedia building so their classes could begin no later than Oct 30, 2007.

The order also said Umme Hassan would act as principal, while the government would bear girl students’ education expenses – which included books, meals, board and lodging – in addition to teachers’ salaries.

The court had appointed Maulana Abdul Ghaffar as the imam of Lal Masjid on a temporary basis. It also asked the government to make arrangements to treat a 13 year old boy who was paralysed following his injuries. According to Mr Asad, the boy died due to a lack of medical attention. The government’s implementation report must be submitted within a week.

Published in Dawn, May 5th, 2016

truth be told even iran and ksa are much better then pakistan when it comes to the protection of their state.they do whats need to be done (not going into the argument that they do it to protect their own family's regime).unlike or spineless Pakistani leadership or judicial system.these guy are so afraid of these rag tag jahil mullahs that they are willing to turn a blind eye towards their actions.15 years have been past since we started this war on terror and we keep getting deeper into this shit hole with every passing day with no end in sight.
it is the days like these which make me ashame of my nationality make me lose faith in every system of my country.make me hate what we have become.i am sorry brother(saheeds of lal masjid) your sacrifice was in vain we never deserved your blood our judiciary is far more willing to provide sanctuary and meals for the whores of your murderers i am sorry that we have failed you :(:cry:
koi ummed bar nahi ati
koi surat nazer nahi ati

The height of shamelessness and audacity shown by these goons and their supporters actually pales in comparison with such stupid, ignorant and politically motivated rulings of our courts.

Aren't the courts merely applying the law which forces a religious test on all legal matters? After all, this is the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. By Law.

As I see, your courts are supporting extremist ideologies. You need to clean up your judiciary from such elements otherwise you will never be able to get rid of this evil since judges are reluctant to punish such elements perhaps because they themselves subscribe to these ideologies.

If our military and civilian establishment are serious about eradicating extremism and terrorism from our society then dens such as lal "masjid" have to be eradicated.Otherwise you will have to do one operation zarb e azb after the other, as the head of the snake is left alone every time. The lives of all those soldiers and innocent civilians will have gone to waste if centres which thrive on sectarianism exist at the very heart of our country aka Islamabad.

Just a reminder for people
http://tribune.com.pk/story/806951/clear-views-lal-masjid-top-cleric-says-he-respects-islamic-state/

Imagine what would have happened to a cleric in Saudi or Iran or Turkey who said he supports ISIS. He would be picked up by the police in a matter of hours. Unfortunately we tolerate these scumbags and then cry over why our country is burning.

Last edited:
Aren't the courts merely applying the law which forces a religious test on all legal matters? After all, this is the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. By Law.

Not really.
Nor does Pakistan being called Islamic have anything to do with the court's ruling here.

The legal matter at hand is in justly analyzing the role of Lal Masjid administration which vandalized public property, illegally occupied territory, enacted violent protests and actions through indoctrination of minor students, harbored anti state militants etc.
There is no cover for such actions in the law of Pakistan, if it is properly applied that is.
These actions are far more grave and intentional, as opposed to any burning of the Quran which can easily be dismissed as a byproduct of the gunfight which only ensued due to the militant's illegal occupation.

All this pathetic nonsense is just a result of the politically motivated appeasement of anti Musharraf forces which has not only kept Maulana Abdul Aziz and Umm-e-Hassan pretty much intact but unfortunately they have become more vocal in their propaganda, even declaring support for ISIS etc.

I have heard a rumor that they are already eyeing additional Mosque/seminary acquisition in Islamabad...

Not really.
Nor does Pakistan being called Islamic have anything to do with the court's ruling here.

The legal matter at hand is in justly analyzing the role of Lal Masjid administration which vandalized public property, illegally occupied territory, enacted violent protests and actions through indoctrination of minor students, harbored anti state militants etc.
There is no cover for such actions in the law of Pakistan, if it is properly applied that is.
These actions are far more grave and intentional, as opposed to any burning of the Quran which can easily be dismissed as a byproduct of the gunfight which only ensued due to the militant's illegal occupation.

All this pathetic nonsense is just a result of the politically motivated appeasement of anti Musharraf forces which has not only kept Maulana Abdul Aziz and Umm-e-Hassan pretty much intact but unfortunately they have become more vocal in their propaganda, even declaring support for ISIS etc.

I have heard a rumor that they are already eyeing additional Mosque/seminary acquisition in Islamabad...

All that may be true, but the verdict turns the tables by regarding the destruction of a religious seminary as sacrilege and orders the government to rectify the losses imposed, using the law. That is the real lesson here, Sir.

All that may be true, but the verdict turns the tables by regarding the destruction of a religious seminary as sacrilege and orders the government to rectify the losses imposed, using the law. That is the real lesson here, Sir.

Yet, Qadri was hanged by the Court's decision.

It seems the prevalent political environment has more of an impact on many decisions, instead of always defending the people and state regardless of political ramifications.

Yet, Qadri was hanged by the Court's decision.

It seems the prevalent political environment has more of an impact on many decisions, instead of always defending the people and state regardless of political ramifications.

Using religion as a political tool never ceases to work in Pakistan, Sir.

For those who dont know the basics of Islam...This is the ruling of the SC not of some Shariah court...Nor any decree from any religious body/ book/ saying...Just the court being the court it has so far proved itself to preach injustice and like some famous person once said to break a nation spread injustice!

Less to do with a religion that is called peace when you are teaching violence..

Any educated person should be able to differentiate that! I guess hatred does make you blind!

On topic:

And yet the court has proved it is more of a circus then anything!

That will probably happen sooner rather than later. After all, more facilities for the growing number of faithful followers is a natural progression.

Hello all
First I m and I was against Lal Masjid Operation , Issue was completely mismanaged by the Govt ,
I guess it was Mr Iftikhar Chohadary who gave that order , he also let all 70 terrorist go , That one judgment starts the killing of Pakistanis , For me Iftikhar chohadry is responsible for deaths of 75k Innocent Pakistanis ,
Because he let all of them go and put the blame on stat , The terrorists and Enemy of Pakistan (RAW, MOSAD, CIA) uses this decision as proof of there Innocence.
Well come on Judiciary you just hanged Qadiri ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Y they can close there eyes from them lol,

Let me tell you guys and girls the realty , THEY DID NOT HANG QADIRI BECAUSE OF TERRORISM or EXTREMISM ,, THEY HANG HIM BECAUSE HE KILLED ONE OF THEM "THE ELITE".

I am sorry if I hurt some one .
Thank you all

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom