Saudi princesses need UK support

MOHSENAM

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of

David-Cameron-and-King-Ab-011.jpg

David Cameron receiving the King Abdullah decoration one from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia in 2012. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

David Cameron receiving the King Abdullah decoration one from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia in 2012. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire
Princesses Sahar and Jawaher, daughters of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, have been denied access to food for more than 60 days and have limited access to water. The two sisters have been held under house arrest in Jeddah for more than 10 years by their father, as they are out of favour. No one is allowed in or out of their compound. Their sisters Maha and Hala are also imprisoned in separate complexes nearby.

Sahar and Jawaher's conditions have become increasingly desperate since they spoke out about their imprisonment in the international media. Their mother lives in London and is asking for our help.

I have raised the case with the foreign secretary, William Hague, as well as with David Cameron at prime minister's questions and in correspondence. While the prime minister expressed his concern about the princesses' case and said he would look into it further, both he and the Foreign Office have subsequently indicated that they are not prepared make representations to the Saudi authorities.

This lack of action contrasts very sharply with human rights cases I have raised in Iran and elsewhere, suggesting that the UK government has a double standard when it comes to Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia has an appalling record on human rights and a legal guardianship system which severely discriminates against women and girls. The government has a strong relationship with the Saudi royal family and it is possible that a positive intervention on their part could lead to an improvement in the princesses' conditions.

This is no time for the government to drag its feet, Sahar and Jawaher cannot survive without food indefinitely.
Saudi princesses need UK support | @guardianletters | World news | The Guardian

I dislike such monarchs as they can pick out anybody they want to marry and nothing could really be done about. This goes against Islam and it's unacceptable to have 30 wives simply because you have the authority to do so. It's wrong.

However, for this specific article I need clarifications.

@Yzd Khalifa @JUBA

No food no water but they can get internet to complain to social media? use the net to order food and water?! :unsure:

Sir, I'm not sure if you're being facetious or if you're just plain stupid!
I have seen a similar thread before and it has been going on...so I am not sure when this 60 days started and when was the dead line for the 60 days...
Its worth scrutinizing...esp since Guardian has been writing nonsense lately

I have raised the case with the foreign secretary, William Hague, as well as with David Cameron at prime minister's questions and in correspondence. While the prime minister expressed his concern about the princesses' case and said he would look into it further, both he and the Foreign Office have subsequently indicated that they are not prepared make representations to the Saudi authorities.
This lack of action contrasts very sharply with human rights cases I have raised in Iran and elsewhere, suggesting that the UK government has a double standard when it comes to Saudi Arabia.
This it self speaks volumes...First USA goes around knocking doors and now the UK has become the ambassador? When will they solve human rights prob in their own country before offering help elsewhere?

I dont doubt there may be problems in Saudi but the very thought that UK wants to intervene and show off as an ambassador for something itself has failed is really irritating!

Last edited:
I have seen a similar thread before and it has been going on...so I am not sure when this 60 days started and when was the dead line for the 60 days...
Its worth scrutinizing...esp since Guardian has been writing nonsense lately

I was commenting on the "ordering food and water on net" part of your post. Obviously if someone is in confinement, Domino's guy can't make deliveries to them.

David-Cameron-and-King-Ab-011.jpg

Princesses Sahar and Jawaher, daughters of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, have been denied access to food for more than 60 days and have limited access to water. The two sisters have been held under house arrest in Jeddah for more than 10 years by their father, as they are out of favour. No one is allowed in or out of their compound. Their sisters Maha and Hala are also imprisoned in separate complexes nearby.

Sahar and Jawaher's conditions have become increasingly desperate since they spoke out about their imprisonment in the international media. Their mother lives in London and is asking for our help.

Saudi Arabia has an appalling record on human rights and a legal guardianship system which severely discriminates against women and girls. The government has a strong relationship with the Saudi royal family and it is possible that a positive intervention on their part could lead to an improvement in the princesses' conditions.

This is no time for the government to drag its feet, Sahar and Jawaher cannot survive without food indefinitely.
Saudi princesses need UK support | @guardianletters | World news | The Guardian
interesting ! ! so what will David Cameron's human rights speech this time ? :pop:
poor princesses :(

I was commenting on the "ordering food and water on net" part of your post. Obviously if someone is in confinement, Domino's guy can't make deliveries to them.
Hmmm...well that was sarcasm...how stupid if they are confined that the daddy forgot to cut the net instead cut the food supply that is insanity!

Back
Top Bottom