What's new

Sarita Devi stuns officials, leaves her Asian Games 2014 boxing bronze at podium - See more at: ht

ShahidT

Reaction score
L Sarita Devi stuns officials, leaves her Asian Games 2014 boxing bronze at podium | The Indian Express

89b00a86b754a3b3610af0796493c6f8.jpg

India's L. Sarita Devi cries looking at a medal as she steps on to the podium helped by bronze medalist Vietnam's Thi Duyen Luu during the medal ceremony (Source: AP)

Press Trust of India | Incheon | Posted: October 1, 2014 2:11 pm | Updated: October 1, 2014 3:11 pm

Distraught after losing her controversial semifinal bout, Indian boxer L Sarita Devi stunned officials and spectators by refusing to accept the bronze medal, which is now in the custody of organisers.

READ WHAT HAPPENED ON TUESDAY

"Not one Indian official came to us and consoled or even spoke to us"

The lightweight (60kg) boxer was in disbelief on Tuesdaywhen she lost against home favourite Jina Park, who ended up as the silver-medallist. Sarita was clearly the better of the two pugilists but the judges thought otherwise.

The Indian subsequently also lost an appeal against the judges’ decision and tearfully made her way to the medal ceremony on Wednesday.

ALSO READ: WHEN SARITA BORROWED $500 TO LODGE PROTEST

Crying bitterly on the podium, Sarita first refused to wear the medal before handing it over to Park after sharing an emotional hug with the home boxer.

1caa9fec11b83a5e0798759a864ec6d1.jpg

The former Asian and world champion then left the ceremony. Park, visibly rattled by the turn of events, left the medal on the podium and made her exit.

Sarita appeared to be a clear winner in the bout on Tuesday, dominating the proceedings with such ferocity that Park barely managed to stand the assault. But much to the shock of the Indian contingent and the spectators, the judges awarded the bout to Park.

A sobbing Sarita later told reporters that she had to do what she did at the medal ceremony to continue with her boxing career or else it would have stayed in her mind.

f75d5f79d5caa6052b21837ed222b7ef.jpg

“It’s not that I did not want to accept the medal. I accepted it and then gave it back to the Koreans. I had to do this to continue with my boxing career or the memory of this incident would have stayed on in my mind. I would now go back and hug my infant child,” she said.

She was ready to accept the consequences of her actions but also accused the Indian officialdom of being uncaring in the whole episode.

“I am prepared for any consequences. Not one Indian official came to us and consoled or even spoke to us,” she said.

gotta say, and i've watched the bout, this northeast indian lady was cheated by judges. national rivalries aside, wrong is wrong. you can even see the amount of abuses in the comments section of the video lol, 99% of which are from thai people (who are keen boxers as you know).

they reported on it in thailand (มวยหญิงฉาว! นักชกอินเดียหักหน้าเจ้าภาพ-ประชดเอาเหรียญทองแดงไปคล้องให้แทน+คลิป) apparently thais themselves felt cheated out of a boxing and soccer match earlier, hence the disdain toward s.koreans :P

i've heard from japanese and chinese tht koreans have a napoleon complex, and despite advancing in past 30 yrs to a developed economy, some of their habits and mentality is still quite 'third world'. like claiming others' historical achievements, and now apparently cheating too. maybe our chinese and japanese friends can explain better (@somsak & @Nihonjin1051 )

anyway if south asians performed better overall they wouldn't be crying for just one medal. too bad poor infrastructure & corruption won't let any sport progress other than cricket. even hockey has gone down the drain since a while.

This is not the first time that Koreans did this thing.I today read in newspaper that same thing was done in 1988 finals when the gold medal was awarded to a korean instead of opponent Britisher who actually was the clear winner.The Korean coach even came and said sorry to the challenger.Later it was revealed that someone had compromising pictures of Judges and pressurised them but still the medal remained with the Korean guy.

Poor soul was clearly cheated and robbed of what i thought would eventually be a Gold medal.
That said Sarita is some fighter and maybe destiny has better plans for her. I wish the Lady best of luck.

All that said, India must register strong complaint with regulation authorities. The judging was pathetic:mad:

Poor soul was clearly cheated and robbed of what i thought would eventually be a Gold medal.
That said Sarita is some fighter and maybe destiny has better plans for her. I wish the Lady best of luck.

All that said, India must register strong complaint with regulation authorities. The judging was pathetic:mad:
Was it Pathetic?? or may be preplanned???

in 1988 finals when the gold medal was awarded to a korean instead of opponent Britisher who actually was the clear winner
Nope.. The winner was Roy Jones Jr. From USA..

gotta say, and i've watched the bout, this northeast indian lady was cheated by judges. national rivalries aside, wrong is wrong. you can even see the amount of abuses in the comments section of the video lol, 99% of which are from thai people (who are keen boxers as you know).

they reported on it in thailand (มวยหญิงฉาว! นักชกอินเดียหักหน้าเจ้าภาพ-ประชดเอาเหรียญทองแดงไปคล้องให้แทน+คลิป) apparently thais themselves felt cheated out of a boxing and soccer match earlier, hence the disdain toward s.koreans :P

i've heard from japanese and chinese tht koreans have a napoleon complex, and despite advancing in past 30 yrs to a developed economy, some of their habits and mentality is still quite 'third world'. like claiming others' historical achievements, and now apparently cheating too. maybe our chinese and japanese friends can explain better (@somsak & @Nihonjin1051 )

anyway if south asians performed better overall they wouldn't be crying for just one medal. too bad poor infrastructure & corruption won't let any sport progress other than cricket. even hockey has gone down the drain since a while.

I have not yet see the match. Thai people feels that many of our sports ,perhaps including boxing, is cheated by SK. Therefore, they are looking for other nations to confirm their believe. Many of us said that Mongol vs South Korea boxing match is a clear evidence that SK is cheating, coz SK was punch until his face got many wounds, yet SK won. On Badminton, a strong Thai athlete said she feel the wind is blowing, which what she meant was that the wind was manipulated. Etc. Many Thai feel empathy for this Indian woman boxer citing time invested on sport and victory was stolen.

I myself cannot say anything because my TV is "owned" by my kids :cry:

I did not watch the fight but Koreans have a history of doing this. One of the most famous cases was during the Olympics when the did this to a fighter known as Roy Jones Jr (one of the best ever). They gave the bout to the Korean fighter, even though he got whopped.

anyway if south asians performed better overall they wouldn't be crying for just one medal
Retard way of thinking, cheating is cheating, it doesnt change with the number of medals won.
Why did america cry so hard when Roy Jones jr got cheated?

There are many cases where Korean athletes got the favour of judges....

Sarita Devi vs Korean Boxer
L Devendro Singh vs Korean Boxer
Mongolian Boxer vs Korean Boxer; Mongolia threatened to withdraw their contingent as a protest
China Vs Korea badminton match; according to Chinese official Korean resorted to control wind in the stadium to give home team undue advantage.....

I saw the bout of Devendro Singh; it was a day-light rubbery....Even the commentators of Ten sports criticized the judges saying, " Judges must give score on the basis of what they actually see..."

Back
Top Bottom