What's new

Samba spy scandal

saaju

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Samba Military Spy Scandal [1][2] ('The Indian Army's Darkest Chapter') was a cold war
military intelligence program which eventually emerged as a scandal in 1979. According to the
Indian Army , the military program was run by the MI of Pakistan to seek information on Indian Army's deposition in Western India.

The Indian Army and associated intelligence agencies led the arrest of 168 active duty army officers and personnel on suspicion of working for the Military Intelligence of the Pakistan Army from Samba in the northern disputed state of
Jammu & Kashmir . Samba, Jammu is a sleepy town in the Jammu region of the state. The region bordering with Pakistan . Revelation of scandal led to a serious breach in foreign relations of India and Pakistan .

Between 24 August 1978 and 23 January 1979, 50-odd persons who had worked in the 168 Infantry Brigade and its subordinate units at Samba, 40 km from Jammu on the international border, were arrested on charges of spying for Pakistan at the instance of the Directorate of Military Intelligence (MI). Its investigations involved practically the whole officer cadre of the Brigade. Those arrested were included a Brigadier, three Lieutenant Colonels and a number of Majors, Captains, Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs), Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs) and personnel of other ranks, plus 11 civilians who had worked in the Samba sector. They were all taken into custody at the instance of two self-confessed Pakistani spies who worked as gunners in the Indian Army - Sarwan Dass and Aya Singh. In December 1994, Sarwan Das swore an affidavit and appeared at a press conference to admit that he had falsely implicated the men.

In December 1990, Aya Singh was shot - while crossing the India-Pakistan border. The falsely implicated victims received justice only in December 2000, and not fully either. [3]
The whole story, written by A. G. Noorani, was published in Frontline . The book The Price of Loyalty , written by Captain Ranbir Singh Rathaur, is a first hand account of the brutal and inhuman torture inflicted on the officers and men who were falsely implicated in the Samba Spy Case https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_spy_scandal

Can anyone provide some more insight into this scandal?

It's a case study in Counterintelligence as to what not to do when you capture spies and an excellent example of India's misunderstanding of Pakistani reach and capabilities because India really dropped the ball. I can say here only two words when India reaches a limit to stop thinking about us; this is a point where we start our reach and capabilities. This is the reason our fear very dominated in the Indian mindset; we more often see this fear reflected in their media.

Last edited:
Back In 1990s Pakistan ISI Managed An Even Deeper Penetration Into RAW and Indian IB

Back In 1990s Pakistan ISI Managed An Even Deeper Penetration Into RAW and Indian IB

Wasn't this a MI operation?? We know about ISI's operation but rarely listen something of this level by MI..

Wasn't this a MI operation?? We know about ISI's operation but rarely listen something of this level by MI..
Two our heros in the Indian Army who were being run by MI got caught, and they successfully misled Indian Counterintelligence to implicate nearly their entire brigade, who were arrested, interrogated, and in some cases tortured while distracting them away from the actual Gumnam heroes working for Pakistan's DMI and also ISI. Pakistan managed to evade the huge Indian Counterintelligence operation because the Indians were too busy chasing ghosts. From my Deep of heart, My Salute to our GumNam Heroes. May Allah swt admit them into the highest ranks of Jannah without an account.

Last edited:

No I'm Talking About Something Different.

Two spies in the Indian Army who were being run by MI got caught, and they successfully misled Indian Counterintelligence to implicate nearly their entire brigade, who were arrested, interrogated and in some cases tortured while distracting them away from the actual spies working for Pakistan's DMI and also ISI. Pakistan managed to evade the huge Indian Counterintelligence operation because the Indians were too busy chasing ghosts.

Now the pictures is clear to me. Thankx for your input ❤️

Now the pictures is clear to me. Thankx for your input ❤️
From my Deep of heart, My Salute to our GumNam Heroes. May Allah swt admit them into the highest ranks of Jannah without an account.

Two our heros in the Indian Army who were being run by MI got caught, and they successfully misled Indian Counterintelligence to implicate nearly their entire brigade, who were arrested, interrogated, and in some cases tortured while distracting them away from the actual Gumnam heroes working for Pakistan's DMI and also ISI. Pakistan managed to evade the huge Indian Counterintelligence operation because the Indians were too busy chasing ghosts
Lol. They did not misled anyone. Actually it is the Indians who Forced Sarwan Dass and other one to mention their names as a very senior Indian army officer at that time had a grudge against Brigadier so he used this two spies as an excuse to trap Brigadier with false charges. The other men and soldiers were mentioned to help the senior officer build a strong case against his rival Brigadier and were collateral damage.
Within three years, he would become the face of the infamous Samba spy case, involving at least 60 Armymen at one time, and which now stands discredited. Most of the Army officials were implicated on the basis of Dass’s confessions, which he has admitted were forced by his interrogators.

Dass says he lives with regret every day — as well as the irony of it all. Pointing out that he visited Pakistan no more than half a dozen times, the 70-year-old says most of the information he sold was vague. “How much would a soldier have known about army, especially when we do not even know all about our unit or the brigade?” he says. “Many a time, the havildar in Pakistan jotting down information provided by me would write things on his own so as to help me earn some extra money.”
During those years of torture, all that the MI (Military Intelligence) officials wanted from me was to implicate others in the case. Woh chahtey the khaali jhooth. They only wanted lies. If I spoke the truth, I was being beaten, and if I spoke their lies, I was being offered money and liquor. So I decided to lie. This government too is like this. Then I was forced to start lying, taking names one after another. In this whole game, I downed one officer after another.”
He alleged that senior officers forced him to mention names for medals and promotions and personal grudges.

Lol. They did not misled anyone. Actually it is the Indians who Forced Sarwan Dass and other one to mention their names as a very senior Indian army officer at that time had a grudge against Brigadier so he used this two spies as an excuse to trap Brigadier with false charges. The other men and soldiers were mentioned to help the senior officer build a strong case against his rival Brigadier and were collateral damage.

This is the biggest scandal ever to involve the Indian Army's counterintelligence efforts, it evades the massive Indian Counterintelligence operation because the Indians were too busy chasing ghosts. Sarwan Dass and Aya Singh were the two individuals; they were undercover as gunners within the Indian Army.

Back
Top Bottom