What's new

Salman Rushdie attack was unjustifiable, says Pakistan’s Imran Khan

muhammadhafeezmalik

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Salman Rushdie attack was unjustifiable, says Pakistan’s Imran Khan​

In a wide-ranging Guardian interview, the former prime minister say he understands anger The Satanic Verses created ‘but you can’t justify what happened’

Pakistan’s former prime minister Imran Khan has condemned the attack on Salman Rushdie, describing it as “terrible” and “sad”, and saying that while the anger of the Islamic world at Rushdie’s book The Satanic Verses was understandable, it could not justify the assault.

Khan also said he expected Afghan women to “assert their rights” in the face of Taliban restrictions in a Guardian interview in which he sought to moderate his reputation as a firebrand. He is fighting for his political survival after being ousted from office in April. Khan says his staff and followers are being persecuted and intimidated and he is battling eight-year-old charges of illicit campaign financing that could lead to him being banned from politics.

Ten years ago, Khan pulled out of an event in India because Rushdie would also be appearing and the two men exchanged insults, but Khan does not appear to have expressed support for violent action against the Indian-born author. His denunciation of the attack is striking, however, in a region where most politicians have ducked comment.

Asked for his response to the knife attack in New York state that left Rushdie badly wounded, Khan said: “I think it’s terrible, sad.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...from-civil-unrest-after-ousting-of-imran-khan
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...from-civil-unrest-after-ousting-of-imran-khan
“Rushdie understood, because he came from a Muslim family. He knows the love, respect, reverence of a prophet that lives in our hearts. He knew that,” Khan said. “So the anger I understood, but you can’t justify what happened.”

Ful report:

In a wide-ranging Guardian interview, the former prime minister say he understands anger The Satanic Verses created ‘but you can’t justify what happened’

Pakistan’s former prime minister Imran Khan has condemned the attack on Salman Rushdie, describing it as “terrible” and “sad”, and saying that while the anger of the Islamic world at Rushdie’s book The Satanic Verses was understandable, it could not justify the assault.

Khan also said he expected Afghan women to “assert their rights” in the face of Taliban restrictions in a Guardian interview in which he sought to moderate his reputation as a firebrand. He is fighting for his political survival after being ousted from office in April. Khan says his staff and followers are being persecuted and intimidated and he is battling eight-year-old charges of illicit campaign financing that could lead to him being banned from politics.

Ten years ago, Khan pulled out of an event in India because Rushdie would also be appearing and the two men exchanged insults, but Khan does not appear to have expressed support for violent action against the Indian-born author. His denunciation of the attack is striking, however, in a region where most politicians have ducked comment.

Asked for his response to the knife attack in New York state that left Rushdie badly wounded, Khan said: “I think it’s terrible, sad.
“Rushdie understood, because he came from a Muslim family. He knows the love, respect, reverence of a prophet that lives in our hearts. He knew that,” Khan said. “So the anger I understood, but you can’t justify what happened.”

Ful report:

Yh right, Moodey Kanjar de rishtey dara ne te soney ich tol chadya aey Lubnani nu ??

It is illegal, thats it. Whether Allah will judge otherwise, one if takes law in his hand, must bear the consequences. Gazi ilm Din gracefully embraced the result but he broke the law. Nowadays, the situation is different so even we can't endorse such acts.

Ful report:

Hafeez ji what do you think?

As a Pakistani My priority is Election in Pakistan this story does not interest me
It is not my problem

if there is talk about election then welcome

Such stories are merely a mechanism to divert attention from most important issue to Pakistani

"Election"

I don't care when I log the msn home page tells me some important celeberty parish
This stock went up or not
This guy got attacked or not

All these stories are not important

Public want to know

"When is the Election Date !!"
"When can we arrive at Polling Station!!"

Our Energies need to be focused on Getting Elections

Last edited:
Imran Khan makes stupid mistakes from time to time, he does not have to give such a statement, it seems as if Imran khan has given up on western hegemony and thinks he cannot come to power if the west is not happy with him. He even gave his opponents a good reason to spread propaganda against him which they are cashing in.

Ful report:

Good
Killing someone over blasphemy is not excusable we already lost Salman Taseer to this madness

Imran Khan makes stupid mistakes from time to time, he does not have to give such a statement, it seems as if Imran khan has given up on western hegemony and thinks he cannot come to power if the west is not happy with him. He even gave his opponents a good reason to spread propaganda against him which they are cashing in.
This has nothing to do with Western hegemony or kowtowing to the West.

What Imran Khan has done is proven, once again, that he is a man of principle and will not compromise on his principles even if there is a political cost or danger to his life.

He said what any sane, rational individual would say, that while we can disagree and condemn Salman Rushdies actions, there is absolutely no justification for the violent attack against him.

This applies to every case where an individual is accused of 'blasphemy' - condemn what you perceive as wrong, but do not take the law into your hands and use violence.

This is not an 'alternate point of view' - it is support and glorification of violence and terrorism against those with whose views you disagree.

There can be and will be NO tolerance for these kinds of views. I encourage the members of PDF to report all such posts on social media for glorification of hatred and violence.

Back
Top Bottom