What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

Even if I'm almost as enthusiastic about the FC-31/J-31 like so many here - I'm almost in love with this bird ! - I would like to ask a maybe "bad" question:

To admit the WS-13 is for me almost as mystical as the Yeti, the monster of Loch Ness or Bigfoot. As such I'm highly skeptical about this engine ... We've heard since years from this powerplant, we've heard about problems, a test flight in a JF-17, problems and delays again but so - at least as I remember - not even a single image ! ... Is this engine still alive or has it died already a silent death similar to the WP-14 Kunlun ??

Deino

Even if I'm almost as enthusiastic about the FC-31/J-31 like so many here - I'm almost in love with this bird ! - I would like to ask a maybe "bad" question:

To admit the WS-13 is for me almost as mystical as the Yeti, the monster of Loch Ness or Bigfoot. As such I'm highly skeptical about this engine ... We've heard since years from this powerplant, we've heard about problems, a test flight in a JF-17, problems and delays again but so - at least as I remember - not even a single image ! ... Is this engine still alive or has it died already a silent death similar to the WP-14 Kunlun ??

Deino

With the revelation of the new 9500 Kgf engine shown in Zhuhai 2010 the prospects ws-13 do seem grim but on the other hand there are reports of it being actively tested on a JF-17 in Chengdu.

With the revelation of the new 9500 Kgf engine shown in Zhuhai 2010 the prospects ws-13 do seem grim but on the other hand there are reports of it being actively tested on a JF-17 in Chengdu.

Upppss ... did I miss something ?! ... at least this year !?

But You mention Zhuhai 2010, since then I've heard literally nothing more about this engine and this year the only 'newer' powerplant was the Minshan for the JL-10/L-15.

Deino

@gambit what is your opinion about J-31 prototype and the new model pitched as V2.0? which one look better 5th gen design?
What is there to say -- so soon after its debut ? That it looks pretty ? Am not being a dick about this. :D

The F-117 era is over with the B-2 and the F-22. With the F-117, the priority was low radar observability at the expense of everything else. Not only did we proved that low radar observability was feasible on the technical front, with the F-117 in combat, we proved that being radar ambiguous was a real tactical advantage and threat. The highly limited F-117 proved spectacularly effective in its primary role as a tactical bomber. Those who ridiculed that limited capability missed the point: That the F-117 was an operational experiment to see if one weapon capability could work in conjunction with being low radar observability and how well was that integration.

So even though the F-117 could only drop bombs, we basically STFU-ed the critics.

With the B-2 and F-22, the par for any alleged '5th gen' fighter is about being low radar observability and multiple attack modes capable -- ON EQUAL TERMS. You want to deliver bombs ? Fine, but the bombs cannot compromise 'stealth' beyond a certain threshold. You want to be 'stealthy' ? Fine, but you cannot be so limited in design as to be able to only drop bombs or only shoot missiles. Even the F-22 -- primarily a fighter -- is able to drop bombs.

Supercruise ? Fuggedaboutit. Nice to have, but not necessary.

That is why the speculations for the J-31 will not be about about its 'stealthiness' but about how well will it be able to exploit whatever level of radar 'stealthiness' it have in order to drop bombs or shoot missiles. It will be about its avionics overall and sensor sophistication in particular. In my opinion, passive sensor capabilities will be the norm while active sensor will be highly focused when called upon to provide accurate details necessary for an attack. We have been on that conceptual path for the last 25+ yrs.

Like it or not, the J-31 will be held against the par set by the American fighters regarding speculations.

hi, what different kind of left to the right engines uses?
Do you mean why the left and right engine are different?
Well, the rumor says that SAC is testing new developed engines, the other say that's just for testing different material on exhaust frame due to the extreme high temperature.

Do you mean why the left and right engine are different?
Well, the rumor says that SAC is testing new developed engines, the other say that's just for testing different material on exhaust frame due to the extreme high temperature.

My theory is that since the RD-93 is so smoky, the one that's been in use longer has been blackened by soot. The replacement engine hasn't been exposed to smoke long enough for blackening.

They are gunning for 9800Kfg,9800Kfg。:D

Deino

Deino,

I believe that the critical part of the composition of the failed part was sabotaged to fail at a critical stage of development to create a massive setback to the program and finances.

FC-31 will be SuperStar, Made In China !!! :enjoy::china:

FC31takeoff.jpg

224410ybd91uqbid95d60t.jpg

213601rdhzq3zp67s0eac2.jpg

For FC-31 v2.0 lovers,early summer 2015 is the time to watch out for。 :enjoy:

I have a question why J-31 is using RD-93 instead of AL-31FN engine? as those are also available and would increase performance of the prototype jets.

With AL-31FN it would be a direct competitor to the J-20 and simply become a heavy fighter ... as such it would "fight" for the same resources, its prospects to be exported would diminish (the marked for a heavy fighter is simply too small) ... and it could not even form a complement for the J-20 as a high-low mix for the PLAAF/PLANAF.

Deino

With AL-31FN it would be a direct competitor to the J-20 and simply become a heavy fighter ... as such it would "fight" for the same resources, its prospects to be exported would diminish (the marked for a heavy fighter is simply too small) ... and it could not even form a complement for the J-20 as a high-low mix for the PLAAF/PLANAF.

I don't think so because it could be used only for prototypes and later when productions started Chinese engine could replace it, using AL-31FN will allow to test full potential of that jet concept, as current engines are under powered to test its capabilities to full potential as every thing depend on power supplied by engines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom