What's new

Russia's Kalashnikov to open weapons factory in India

VeeraBahadur

Reaction score
Country
India
Russia's Kalashnikov to open weapons factory in India| Reuters

r

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The maker of the Kalashnikov rifle plans to start producing arms in India, the biggest importer of Russian weapons, this year, it said on Friday.

Kalashnikov Concern, based in the Siberian city of Izhevsk, mass produces the AK-47 assault rifle.

The company, in which state-owned Rostekh owns a controlling stake, said it would produce 50,000 weapons a year at the factory in India, working with an unspecified partner. Total investment was forecast to be $20 million.

"India is a very promising market, and the best way to enter it is to set up production there," said Alexei Krivoruchko, chief executive and part-owner of Kalashnikov Concern.

"We will begin to set up production this year."

The creator of the AK-47, Mikhail Kalashnikov, died in December at the age of 94.

Strange at a time when Indian forces are looking away from the AKs.

Rashtriya Rifles and CRPF think otherwise - most terrorists die of AK rounds than any other calibre in India.
Did I question this? The 7.62 will remain to be the round of choice in India for CI ops but, at least in the IA's case, with the AK's replacement on the horizon (MICWS), local and state police forces go for smaller calibres (5.56mm and 9mm) for inner-city law enforcement I question is there is a huge market for the AK in India anymore. Yes there is the AK-74 with 5.56mm but this will just be another 5.56mm rifle in an already crowded market and the OFB is now cranking out substantial improved INSAS (same 5.56mm calibre) rifles to CAPFs and state/local police forces.

I think they can export AK-47 from India to another countries.They can get human resources with skill from India.So weapon production become competitive comparable to chinese copy.Another factor they lose market in India.India now heavily invested on indigenous products.we are becoming successful in it.So they may losing their main weapons market .But in future India gave preference to their own industry.Not foreign .So in future we can expect more JV with Russia and for weapon exporting

Did I question this? The 7.62 will remain to be the round of choice in India for CI ops but, at least in the IA's case, with the AK's replacement on the horizon (MICWS), local and state police forces go for smaller calibres (5.56mm and 9mm) for inner-city law enforcement I question is there is a huge market for the AK in India anymore. Yes there is the AK-74 with 5.56mm but this will just be another 5.56mm rifle in an already crowded market and the OFB is now cranking out substantial improved INSAS (same 5.56mm calibre) rifles to CAPFs and state/local police forces.

There still is a possibility of export in the neighbourhood! ;)

I think they can export AK-47 from India to another countries.They can get human resources with skill from India.So weapon production become competitive comparable to chinese copy.Another factor they lose market in India.India now heavily invested on indigenous products.we are becoming successful in it.So they may losing their main weapons market .But in future India gave preference to their own industry.Not foreign .So in future we can expect more JV with Russia and for weapon exporting
Well this would make more sense.......

What's the cost of an AK 47 rifle ? I'd like to buy one "made in India" kalashnikov :p

Back
Top Bottom