What's new

Russian Sukhoi jet with 46 aboard missing in Indonesia

westtowel

Reaction score
JAKARTA, May 9, 2012 -

A Russian Sukhoi Superjet 100 on a demonstration flight with 46 people on board went missing south of the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Wednesday, a search and rescue official said.

"The plane disappeared from the radar around the Bogor area. We are still looking for it and we are uncertain whether it crashed," said Gagah Prakoso, spokesman for the national search and rescue agency.

The plane, with 46 people on board, took off from east Jakarta's Halim Perdanakusuma airport, which is used for some commercial and military flights, at 2 pm (0700 GMT), he said.

"At 2:50 pm it dropped from 10,000 feet (3,000 metres) to 6,000 feet," the agency added in a text message to AFP.

Herry Bakti, head of the transport ministry's aviation division, said the aircraft was on the second of two demonstration flights, and those on board were invited guests.

The Russian Embassy had said in a statement earlier this week that a Sukhoi Superjet 100 demonstration would take place in Jakarta on Wednesday. The embassy could not be immediately reached for comment.

The Sukhoi Superjet, a mid-range airliner that carries up to 100 people, has been presented as Russia's contender to compete in the international civil aviation industry.

After its maiden flight in 2008 deliveries were delayed several times, but the planes are already in use with Russia's largest carrier Aeroflot and have been ordered by smaller airlines in Russia and abroad.

It claims to offer lower operating costs than rival aircraft made by Brazil's Embraer and Canada's Bombardier.

Russian Sukhoi jet with 46 aboard missing in Indonesia - The Times of India

Already posted in existing thread:

from: Russian plane disappears in demonstration flight in Indonesia - CNN.com

Russian plane disappears in demonstration flight in Indonesia
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 7:22 AM EDT, Wed May 9, 2012

Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) -- Russia's newest civilian airliner disappeared Wednesday from radar screens during a demonstration flight in the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, state-run RIA Novosti news service reported.

There were 44 passengers on board.

The pilots requested permission to descend from 10,000 feet to 6,000 feet, air traffic controllers said. After that, all radio contact was lost. The plane began making its descent but vanished from radar screens at 6,200 feet in a mountainous area. By the time the plane was due to return it should have burned up its fuel, RIA Novosti said.

The Sukhoi Superjet-100 airplane arrived in Jakarta as part of a demonstration tour of six Asian countries. It had been to Myanmar, Pakistan and Kazakhstan, and was due to visit Laos and Vietnam after Indonesia, RIA Novosti said. Sukhoi manufactures military aircraft and is known especially for its fighter jets. Its civilian aircraft is narrow-bodied with a dual-class cabin that can transport 100 passengers over regional routes.

this is not the first time Russian jet has crashed during demonstration...there had been a fatal incident of TU-144 in France.

Oh my goodness! Has there been any news of the aircraft yet? Lets hope for the safety of all those on board.

So many plane crashes happening.... Is it due to increase in flights? But why since last 2 years the plane crashes increased rapidly? I just hope plane landed somewhere safely.... There is news the plane crashed or hijacked.... They said plane fuel got over by now.... Lets pray that Plane didn't crashed. Lets hope plane landed safely.... Am alot scared of traveling in plane since my neighbour died in manglore plane crash....

isro2222 he can tell because he have connection with aliens RIP sad accident

Sukhoi was to sell 10 SuperJets to Indian firm Aviotech under a deal initiated last year.

I guess now no one is going to buy it from them except if Russians give deep discounts on the planes.

So many plane crashes happening.... Is it due to increase in flights? But why since last 2 years the plane crashes increased rapidly? I just hope plane landed somewhere safely.... There is news the plane crashed or hijacked.... They said plane fuel got over by now.... Lets pray that Plane didn't crashed. Lets hope plane landed safely.... Am alot scared of traveling in plane since my neighbour died in manglore plane crash....

I suspect Aliens for this.

But i dont know from which planet or species..maybe you can help.

I guess now no one is going to buy it from them except if Russians give deep discounts on the planes.
only you can think of money or procurment over the missing people. Have some empathy dude. the 46 who are missing are some ones father, brother, mother, sister, etc.
so stop ranting about the jet and start talking about empathy to the missing.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom