What's new

Russian Forces in excess of 88,000 poised on Ukraine border

American Eagle

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
All worldwide major media now report Russian troops numbering more than 88,000 plus tanks and attack helicopters are massed on the Ukrainian border...expected by ME as the writer of this article to invade/attack within the current 24 hours.

I wouldn't bank on "only" more economic sanctions if I were Mr. Putin.

Allies, including Turkey, are in a high state of readyness, along with Poland and all other NATO Members.

Ukraine is not a Member of NATO, of course, but NATO sees the Hitlerian style of aggression now underway and is ready to move forces into closest to the "front line" NATO nations.

All worldwide major media now report Russian troops numbering more than 88,000 plus tanks and attack helicopters are massed on the Ukrainian border...expected by ME as the writer of this article to invade/attack within the current 24 hours.

Bold prediction.

Let's see how things turn out.

Are we talking eastern Ukraine or is your prediction a march on Kiev? @American Eagle

The divisions behind the Ukraine crisis
_73727327_73723776.jpg

The US and EU have imposed economic sanctions on Russia over its annexation of Crimea from Ukraine.

Russian and Crimean leaders signed a treaty absorbing the peninsula into the Russian Federation following a disputed referendum.

The crisis has exposed deep divisions in Ukrainian society - between the European-facing west and the Russian-facing east.

Explore the maps and graphics below to find out more.

_66239292_line2.gif

Why is Crimea so important?
The region, a peninsula on the Black Sea coast of Ukraine, is of political and strategic significance to both Russia and Ukraine.

The majority of Crimea's 2.3 million population identify themselves as ethnic Russians and speak Russian - a legacy of Russia's 200-year involvement in the region.

Russia's Black Sea Fleet has its historic base in the Crimean coastal city of Sevastopol - a continuing source of tension. After Ukraine gained independence, a leasing agreement was drawn up to allow the fleet to continue operating from there.

In 2010, this lease was extended to 2042 in exchange for Russia supplying discounted natural gas.

_73286672_crimea_black_sea_fleet_624.gif

Frictions between Ukraine and Russia escalated dramatically in November last year after the then pro-Moscow President Viktor Yanukovych abandoned an EU deal in favour of stronger ties with Russia. He fled Ukraine in February after violent protests in the country's capital Kiev.

Later, Kremlin-backed forces effectively seized control of Crimea and, in a subsequent referendum, the region declared 97% of voters backed joining Russia and leaving Ukraine.

More: The Crimea of Russia's imagination

_66239292_line2.gif

What ethnic groups live in Ukraine and Crimea?
The divisions within Ukraine go back much further than recent events. The country has been torn between east and west since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 and this is reflected in a cultural and linguistic divide.

Russian is widely spoken in parts of the east and south. In some areas, including the Crimean peninsula, it is the main language.

In western regions - closer to Europe - Ukrainian is the main language and many of the people identify with Central Europe.

This division is to some extent reflected in voting patterns. The areas where a significant proportion of people speak Russian almost exactly match those that voted for Mr Yanukovych, as opposed to his rival and former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko in 2010.

_73094671_ukraine_divide_2.gif

Crimea is particularly Russian-facing in terms of its language and ethnicity.

According to the 2001 Ukraine census, while most Ukrainians identified themselves as Ukrainian, most residents of Crimea identified themselves as ethnic Russians.

_73661018_ukraine_nationalities_624gr.gif

The census also showed that while most of Ukraine's population said they regarded Ukrainian as their native language, most of those in Crimea said their native language was Russian.

However, there are still large populations of ethnic Ukrainians and Tartars.

Many ethnic Ukrainians have natural loyalties to Kiev, while many of Crimea's indigenous Tatar community - deported in large numbers by Soviet leader Joseph Stalin in 1944 after some collaborated with the Nazis - boycotted the referendum. Some have also expressed fear at being once again under Moscow's rule.

More: Crimeans' loyalties split

_66239292_line2.gif

What ties does Ukraine have with Russia and the EU?
_73286677_eu_russia_summit_624map3.gif

Ukraine has economic ties to both the EU and Russia.

Russian gas pipelines to Europe pass through Ukraine - a fact made abundantly clear in 2006 when Russia briefly cut supplies, sparking alarm in Western Europe.

Ukraine imports most of its oil from Russia - although recent discoveries of shale gas in the country mean it may become less dependent on Russian supplies in future.

There are also oil and gas fields in the Black Sea, which the government in Kiev had hoped to be able to exploit in order to further reduce its dependence on Russian imports.

_73340564_ukraine_gas_pipelines_624_v3.gif

Crimea's main water supply comes through Ukraine. The region's climate is dry and warm and most of its rivers and streams dry up in summer, so most of its water supplies come from the Dnieper river via the North Crimean Canal.

Crimea's water resources
_73661024_crimea_water_supply_624map.gif

More: Russia's trade ties with Europe

More on This Story

Ukrainian Military Takes Deserted Russian Fleet Navigation Station (Video)
  • The Moscow Times
  • Mar. 28 2014 00:00
  • Last edited 17:46
Screen%20shot%202014-03-27%20at%206.25.48%20PM.png

YouTube / Gennady OsmakUkrainian troops patrolling the grounds of the navigation station.
Ukrainian soldiers have taken over a navigation station in mainland Ukraine that the country has long sought to have returned by the Russian Black Sea fleet, a news report said Thursday.

The station, designated Mars-75, in Ukraine's Kherson region was taken over Wednesday by Ukrainian forces who now guard it, KhersonOnline reported. The outlet also reported that Russian forces vacated the facility two months ago.

A video posted on YouTube provides footage of the troops telling local residents that they represent Ukraine.

A video of the Ukrainian troops speaking to locals at the base's entrance gate. (Gennady Osmak / YouTube)

The Ukrainian Defense Ministry has long advocated the return of lighthouses and other equipment at the facility to Ukrainian hydrography authorities.

During the administration of former Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko the country's authorities had tried to use legal means to transfer the station, but were unsuccessful.

The station is not the first facility to change hands between Ukrainian and Russian forces, though previous transfers were the result of Russian forces seizing Ukrainian military bases in the recently-annexed Crimea region.

Are we talking eastern Ukraine or is your prediction a march on Kiev? @American Eagle

If you study the maps of Ukraine I posted here yesterday, Thursday, March 27, 2014, the "juxtaposition" of massed Russian troops, armor, and combat helicopters seems focused dually on both Kiev and could easily also swing left and attack Romania.

Just what Russia needs, Romanian oil fields, with the shortage of Russian oil and gas. Ha!

If you study the maps of Ukraine I posted here yesterday, Thursday, March 27, 2014, the "juxtaposition" of massed Russian troops, armor, and combat helicopters seems focused dually on both Kiev and could easily also swing left and attack Romania.

Just what Russia needs, Romanian oil fields, with the shortage of Russian oil and gas. Ha!

They may attack Kiev but it is risky but Romania? No way.

Member states of NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just checked a list of countries by gas and oil reserves, I don't see why Russia (with the number 1 largest gas reserves in the world) would need Romania for?

And what is this about the "shortage of Russian oil and gas"?

This is not 1941 anymore ,neither Russia nor The West need Romanian oil,mainly because there isn't much left anyway.

Romania has pretty good natural gas reserves. But I agree, less in the case of oil.
PAGE LAST UPDATED ON MARCH 11, 2014

The World Factbook

I just checked a list of countries by gas and oil reserves, I don't see why Russia (with the number 1 largest gas reserves in the world) would need Romania for?

And what is this about the "shortage of Russian oil and gas"?

Mine was a cynical comment about "shortage" of gas and oil. Dull American humor!

They may attack Kiev but it is risky but Romania? No way.

Member states of NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try Kiev and Moldavo?

Its been 24 hrs still not attack :)
looks like you were wrong:D

After my post yesterday about Russia resuming it's invasion(s) President Obama and President Putin talked by phone, which bought some time. Mr. Putin made the call to Mr. Obama, so Russian defusing initiative here.

Today, Saturday, Secretary of State Kerry and the Soviet Foreign Minister started a round of talks intended to be ongoing to let the steam out and hopefully avert Russian troops into Ukrain aimed at Kiev. Kerry initiated thesed talks

The 28 Current NATO Members
Albania
Belgium
Bulgaria
Canada
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

I dont see much chance of an invasion per se. Russia may do the same "invasion" it did with Crimea but as such I dount the Ukranian military would put up much resistance. Crimea however was much more important than the rest of Ukraine itself due to its strategic location.

The only reason I see for Russia going after Russian speaking territories in the Ukraine may be to have a more polygonal border area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom