What's new

Russian fifth generation fighter makes 2nd flight

Veer

Reaction score
Russian fifth generation fighter makes 2nd flight

BY : TIMES NOW

Within a span of days, Russia’s fifth generation fighter aircraft developed by Sukhoi Corporation under its highly secret PAK FA project on Friday (February 12) made its second successful flight in the country’s Far East. The flight carried out from the KNAAPO plant in Komsomolsk-on-Amur lasted 57-minutes, ten minutes longer than its maiden flight on January 29 and the fighter was painted in the combat colours of the Russian air force, according to Interfax.

This time also it was piloted by test-pilot Sergei Bogdan, who expressed satisfaction at the performance of the aircraft to be inducted by the Russian Air Force in 2015. Indian Air Force, which would acquire 50 single-seater fighters of the Russian version, would induct another 200 two-seater fighters beginning from 2016, according to reports. Under the 2007 intergovernmental agreement Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) has been identified as the nodal agency in the project and a commercial deal on setting a JV is expected to be finalised during Prime Minister Vladimir Putin’s visit in mid-March.

Yesterday, Chief of the Russian General Staff, Army General Nikolai Makarov said the new fighter, in which India is a partner, would be superior to the US F-22 Raptor- the only flying fifth generation fighter. “It would have an artificial intellect, almost at the level of human intellect,” General Makarov was quoted as saying by agencies. After few more test flights, T-50 would be moved to Flight Trail Institute at Zhukovski near Moscow for further trails and certification. Weapons firing trails would be carried out at Akhtuba range in south Russian region of Astrakhan, before it is transferred the centre of the air force in Lipetsk in 2013 for evolving the combat manuals.

Russian fifth generation fighter makes 2nd flight idrw.org

I'm currious about this proposed "artificial intellect" that Gen. Makarov suggests. This is, honestly, the first time I've heard about this -- and let's be honest, I'm not reading everything that comes out about this plane -- and I think this is something that needs to be explored in greater detail.

Obviously, this fighter is going to have a glass cockpit (moreso than any other Russian plane in the air right now). I guess the software that they are working on is going to be somewhat advanced. (Pilots I've talked with have talked about fly-by-wire systems and so forth, but I think this must be more than just that) Maybe Gen. Makarov was watching that old Clint Eastwood movie (about a new Russian fighter prototype) "Firefox", or something?

Furthermore, I'd like to know what the specific changes for the Indian program will be -- India isn't going to use Russia's software, as far as I've heard. Hopefully there will be more that would take advantage of having a RIO than not.

Yesterday, Chief of the Russian General Staff, Army General Nikolai Makarov said the new fighter, in which India is a partner, would be superior to the US F-22 Raptor

fool to quote russia is spoiling its reputation because of these regular jokes

Chief of the Russian General Staff, Army General Nikolai Makarov said the new fighter, in which India is a partner, would be superior to the US F-22 Raptor- the only flying fifth generation fighter.
Hmm. He certainly knows more than I do, but I doubt this statement. However, coming from the Chief of Staff, this is nothing to laugh at.

I'm currious about this proposed "artificial intellect" that Gen. Makarov suggests.
I think he's referring to advance avionics, sensor fusion and all that good stuff. I think he's pointing to the fact that the PAK-FA will utilize "intelligent" information processing and display.

Its possible that the PAK-FA could have a better overall avionics package than the F-22, though, like I said, I have my doubts. Especially when we know the flight-test aircraft are fitted with, at best, a prototype avionics package.

@PAKAce

Thanks for your reply. I think that there is a number of ways to dissect the statements of Gen. Makarov -- first of all, I think that at this stage you almost HAVE to make such claims in order to continued to build (or maintain) political momentum for these expensive projects. It would look really bad for all involved if he instead said "The new plane that we haven't yet fully paid for will be moderately to slightly worse than the American F-22".

Even if their direct comparison is impossible at this stage (and it is) one almost has to promise that the newer plane will be better. (Psychologically)

As for the avionics, we both can fully agree that what is currently in the prototype is far from the finished product. What Russia will have in their bird when all is said and done *should* be significantly advanced. That said, I seriously doubt any serious discussion of this is necessary as that's not going to be the avionics that India has in their version (save for the 50 one-seat versions India is theorized to get).

Within the scope of this entire project I'm more interested in the finished project and any 'global' (over-all for the aviation industry) advances made to the field from this joint venture.

I'm currious about this proposed "artificial intellect" that Gen. Makarov suggests. This is, honestly, the first time I've heard about this -- and let's be honest, I'm not reading everything that comes out about this plane -- and I think this is something that needs to be explored in greater detail.

Obviously, this fighter is going to have a glass cockpit (moreso than any other Russian plane in the air right now). I guess the software that they are working on is going to be somewhat advanced. (Pilots I've talked with have talked about fly-by-wire systems and so forth, but I think this must be more than just that) Maybe Gen. Makarov was watching that old Clint Eastwood movie (about a new Russian fighter prototype) "Firefox", or something?

Furthermore, I'd like to know what the specific changes for the Indian program will be -- India isn't going to use Russia's software, as far as I've heard. Hopefully there will be more that would take advantage of having a RIO than not.

By "artificial intellect" he mean artificial intelligence I guess. Russia always had some upper hand in weapons and agility compared to West but they lacked electronics and sensor suites at the lebel of USA. But in recent time they made a lot of pregress. Just look how mane and types of radars PAK FA have.

Indian inputs will be mainly advanced softwares, composites, sensors, EW, avionics, cockpit, navigation, datalink and some weapons.

But PAK FA's AI to be better than human needs technological breakthrough!

Even if their direct comparison is impossible at this stage (and it is) one almost has to promise that the newer plane will be better. (Psychologically)
Please allow me to disagree. I don't think so. The newer aircraft isn't necessarily more modern, especially when you're comparing American aerospace technology to that of Russia's in the 21st century.

Though it will probably be the best alternative to American technology for a while, if it is as good as they claim it will be.

Russia always had some upper hand in weapons and agility compared to West but they lacked electronics and sensor suites at the lebel of USA. But in recent time they made a lot of pregress. Just look how mane and types of radars PAK FA have.
At one point during the Cold War, the Russians boasted having better defence aerospace technology available to them. However, at no point was it significant. At the end of the Cold War, the Americans had built a sizable lead in the types and range of technological beds they had available to them, including "weapons and agility". So, I disagree. Also, the F-16 is the most naturally agile aircraft design in service anywhere today, which is a clear testament to their capabilities. The F-22, with its TVC, is a beast.

Secondly, Russia does not have access to the same Radar and EW technologies as the US and the Europeans. I can't speak of what is still under development, but there is nothing to suggest the West will stop all development in the sector and allow the Russians to catch up.

Last edited:
Secondly, Russia does not have access to the same Radar and EW technologies as the US and the Europeans. I can't speak of what is still under development, but there is nothing to suggest the West will stop all development in the sector and allow the Russians to catch up.

Can you back that up? Have you heard of the SU-35bm? It's superior to the MKI in every aspect.

And what do you mean by, the Russians don't have the same access to radar? The IRBIS has a range of 400km, can track up to 30 aerial targets and engage up to eight and is said to track targets from 290 kilometers with just 1 kW power output.

At one point during the Cold War, the Russians boasted having better defence aerospace technology available to them. However, at no point was it significant. At the end of the Cold War, the Americans had built a sizable lead in the types and range of technological beds they had available to them, including "weapons and agility". So, I disagree. Also, the F-16 is the most naturally agile aircraft design in service anywhere today, which is a clear testament to their capabilities. The F-22, with its TVC, is a beast.
I think you are not total aware of Russia R&D and inventions during cold war. In every field they were competing with US. Every field, except two.... computers and economy!

Yes, after the end of cold war US take lead in all area but it was not same before.

It was not F-16 but Mig-29 was themost agile aircraft at that time. Russians have a history of making most agile and maneuverable aircrafts in the world but I will not sat they were best.

Russians fielded ESA radars much before Europeans and there is no comparison with Europe with respect to EW. Just after the cold war Europe had taken lead in some area but Russia gaining her space again.

Just look at the best fighters from Russia and Europe ie PAK FA and Eurofighter and their radars. The PAK FA radar is way better than CAESAR as well as Russians have six radars of different types mounted on PAK FA. In terms of electronics PAK FA and and SU-35 has the best system out side USA. AI, multi-sensor fusion and EW where Russian did a good job with PAK FA and SU-35 what Europeans are way behind. USA is a different story though.

Back
Top Bottom