What's new

Featured Russia would be developing upgraded engines for Pakistan's JF-17 fighters

The Basic RD-33 Engine have 8300 Kgf/81.4 KN output Thrust with afterburners and 4000 Hours service Life.
The RD-93 Engine which base on exact RD-33 Engine, ANd from the Klimov poster at Zhuhai 2010 airshow gave the thrust range to be 84.4 kN Wet /8600 Kgf around and bcz of this increase thrust compares to basic RD-33, Service Life of Improve RD-93 decrease from 4000 hours (of RD-33) to 2200 Hours (Its been Stated)

Now comes to this New Engine RD-93 MA which in development since 2012.
The stated increment was One (1) Ton increase thrust i.e., 8300 Kgf to 9300 Kgf.
Therefore, If indeed RD-93 MA is coming with 9300 Kgf Thrust, then its service life would be 4000 Hours.
And if PAF want to tweaked with RD-93 MA just as earlier, Thrust can be increased to 9600 Kgf while compromising on service life back to 2200 Hours.

Let's see what PAF opt to for JF17 Block-III.

Basic RD-93 MA base on Basic RD-33 Engine.
9300 Kgf/91.2 Kn Thrust
Service Life=4000 Hours.

Improved RD-93 MA base on Improved RD-93 Engine
9600 Kgf/94.1 Kn Thrust
Service Life=2200 Hours.
Please share the source which mention the life span of RD-93MA.. thanks

Please share the source which mention the life span of RD-93MA.. thanks

No Source of Service life or anything for RD-93 MA at the moment.
Therefore, i calculate its service life by my own....citing "Circumstantial Evidence" and applying "Logic".
Anyone can differs it but he has to show his own calculations against mine, until official specs release comes out.

Last edited:
RD-93MA.jpg

Nice full sized image of the new RD-93MA.

View attachment 652118

Nice full sized image of the new RD-93MA.

We will only believe if there is a credible source of picture taken from. :enjoy:
Following picture was reported by media outlet. Unfortunately, engine front is covered and direction is different in both pictures even if we try to match parts.
2856761.jpg

Thanks for the update...........:lol:

Hi,

Understand the issue in this manner---when other nations start developing their product to be better than before to compete for your business---that means that you have achieved an important position in the community---.

Just thank Allah for the blessings---.

No Source of Service life or anything for RD-93 MA at the moment.
Therefore, i calculate its service life by my own....citing "Circumstantial Evidence" and applying "Logic".
Anyone can differs it but he has to show his own calculations against mine, until official specs release comes out.

Hi,

I see that you have been hit by the "source" club---.

That was an interesting analysis from you.

Last edited:
Hi,

Understand the issue in this manner---when other nations start developing their product to be better than before to compete for your business---that means that you have achieved an important position in the community---.

Just thank allah for the blessings---.

Indeed Just like Nuclear Program, A successful JF17 Program in a country like Pakistan is a gift from Allah...No doubt about it.

Hi,

I see that you have been hit by the "source" club---.

That was an interesting analysis from you.

Thanks.
With RD-93 MA Engine, we hit the ultimate bird under the given frame with an appropriate accessories package as well i.e., An AESA radar, 1.8 Mach speed, Long range BVRAAM like PL15, TWR above 1.0, Composites usage, Good EW Package....its almost all there. Block-3 definitely enables us to defends our air space against emerging threats in the neighborhood confidently.

Now, the need is to move forwards, enlarge the frame and makes it (or develop another) a medium weight fighter. Something between Block-3 and AZM. Major ingredients like Engine is there, RD33 Series have the capacity to improve the thrust upto 110 Kn if the confirm demand guaranteed to UEC. So, Engine is not an issue. Instead of Compromised Air Cooled AESA, Full Conventional 3 way water cooled AESA is also there with improved EW Package. All we need is Good Governance and eventually Good Economy and we need no foreign fighter for rest of our lives.

Should we assume that actual pace on Block-III is much slower as evidently engine is not ready yet. It seems that PAF was confident about using existing RD-93 for B3 but it could not generate required results thus eventually had to adopt RD-93MA with increased thrust. I might be wrong but there is no other explanation of the fact that a block which is under design since 2016-17 got approval of new engine just now in 2nd half of 2020.

Should we assume that actual pace on Block-III is much slower as evidently engine is not ready yet. It seems that PAF was confident about using existing RD-93 for B3 but it could not generate required results thus eventually had to adopt RD-93MA with increased thrust. I might be wrong but there is no other explanation of the fact that a block which is under design since 2016-17 got approval of new engine just now in 2nd half of 2020.

Block III is behind schedule for sure, but i am not sure that is the same as saying that the PAF assumed that the RD-93 would be sufficient for Block III and "then discovered it wasn't". The RD-93MA would have taken longer than 3 years to get to where it is, so the decision for the RD-93MA would have been taken at the same time as the time for Block III and it has taken Russia a bit longer to add the extra 1 tonnes of thrust to the engine, amongst other issues.

Last edited:
Block III is behind schedule for sure, but i am not sure that is the same as saying that the PAF assumed that the RD-93 would be sufficient for Block III and "then discovered it wasn't". The RD-93MA would have taken longer than 3 years to get to where it is, so the decision for the RD-93MA would have been taken at the same time as the time for Block III and it has taken Russia a bit longer to add the extra 1 tonnes of thrust to the engine, amongst other issues.
I think @PakShaheen79 is right. On 15 Dec, 2019 B3 made first flight with old RD93 Engine. In that experience experts came to concludes that RD93 will not suffice and they have to finance towards RD93 MA development nonetheless and result is UEC press release. Russia is not at fault here our experts are it seems.

Exactly, that it seems quite logical interpertation.

Here is your baby:

RD-93MA Engine, to Power Pakistan JF-17 Block III Jets, Enters Thermal Chamber Tests

rd-93ma_e_1594216222.jpg

RD-93MA engine (for JF-17 Jet) Undergoing Tests
A new engine for the Pakistani JF-17 fighter jet, dubbed RD-93MA being developed by Russia’s United Engine Corporation (UEC)-Klimov has entered thermal chamber tests to confirm high-speed characteristics in simulated flight conditions.

The RD-93MA has been specifically developed to power single engine light fighter jets. It is an upgrade of the RD-93 engine which currently powers the Pakistani JF-17/Chinese Chengdu FC-1 single engine fighter jets.

With the successful completion of the thermal chamber test stage, it will be possible to proceed to flight design tests. A set of tests in the TsIAM large thermal pressure chamber will be held as part of the experimental design work on the RD-93MA, a UEC statement said today.

During the tests, the engine will simulate conditions as close as possible to actual flight. Here, the BARK-93MA, the automatic control system of the engine, designed and manufactured at UEC-Klimov, will also be put to test.

The thrust of the RD-93MA is expected to 9300 Kgf compared to 8300 kgf of the RD-93, a significant bump-up in power which will help the JF-17/FC-1 to carry more armaments and fly at a higher speed (this information is not from UEC but earlier published sources).

The RD-93MA engine is distinguished by improved operational characteristics, increased thermodynamic parameters, a larger fan and an upgraded automatic power plant control system. The main engine parameters are also enhanced- the assigned resource and thrust, an emergency engine start mode is provided, and the possibility of emergency fuel drain is realized.” the statement said.

pakistan__1594216497.jpg

JF-17 Thunder Aircraft of Pakistan Air Force
All this is due to the specifics associated with the possible use of the power plant on a single-engine aircraft, which entails additional safety requirements,the statement added leaving no doubt as to its potential applications for an foreign customer as Russia does not possess a single-engine fighter jet.

“The start of testing was preceded by a long preparatory phase. During 2018-2019 design documentation was handed over to manufacturing plants, production was organized in a new cooperation structure, engine models of the RD-93MA were developed and a new engine "harness" was manufactured. In addition, tests of the VK-100-1MK turbo-starter in the TsIAM heat chamber according to confirmation of high-altitude launch were conducted. Prototypes of the BARK-93MA (automatic engine control system) were made and much more,” the statement said.

The JF-17 block III, a highly advanced version of the JF-17 Block II, was test flown for the first time at the start of this year. Besides the engine, the key upgrade is an AESA- Active electronically scanning array- radar which has already been selected from a Chinese manufacturer.

Earlier reports said the RD-93MA engine will be directly sold to Pakistan. However, sources told defenseworld.net that the engine upgrade work is under contract from a Chinese company for which over 100 such engines is to be manufactured.

The engine is expected to enter fight test mode towards the end of the year which means the JF-17 Block III would enter flight tests with the RD-93MA engine sometime in 2021-22 at the earliest.

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/2...ts__Enters_Thermal_Chamber_Tests#.XxQbMJ4zaUk

2021-22 is definitely late considering by that time, large number of Rafale will be part of IAF. I think COVID situation has also played a role in delay.

Back
Top Bottom