What's new

Russia to modernize army for $600 billion till 2020

the world is certainly going to hell in a hand basket, $600 Billion... a Defence bail-out for Russian Armed Forces.

too much, and at the same time when Russia has issues like aging population and no social security net and their Nominal GDP is less than India.

thats too much money...

last thing we need is another cold war

but then again.... look at USA defence spending... :|

So Russia is essentially using the purchases as a gap filling measure in areas such as automatic command systems so that she could eventually produce equal, if not superior products. Is that correct?

During the cold war many countries esspecial the Soviet Union and the United States tried their best to 'bootleg' eachothers equipment.

During Vietnam the Soviets obtained an F-5, some A2A weapons and a number of other platform directly or via spying; similarly the US obtained Migs including a fleet of Mig-29s, SAMs and also a number of other platforms, directly or indirectly.

Since than both countries have exchanged technology, Russia sold the US rocket boosters for the Atlas program while Boeing sold Russia jetliners.

thats too much money...

last thing we need is another cold war

but then again.... look at USA defence spending... :|

Checkout the part on Russia buying U.S. tech such as precision guided weaponry.

Checkout the part on Russia buying U.S. tech such as precision guided weaponry.

Please tell more, as far as i'm aware this has not happened and will likely not happen. Over the years i have read my fair share of poor journalism.

the world is certainly going to hell in a hand basket, $600 Billion... a Defence bail-out for Russian Armed Forces.

too much, and at the same time when Russia has issues like aging population and no social security net and their Nominal GDP is less than India.

Are you sure about that? International Monetary Fund says otherwise.

Please tell more, as far as i'm aware this has not happened and will likely not happen. Over the years i have read my fair share of poor journalism.

I was referring to the part in the Xinhua news and Russia Today where they talked about how Russia is going to purchase advanced tech like smart weapons from the U.S.

Russia to spend 600 billion dollars for armed forces by 2020

English.news.cn 2010-09-21 21:23:37 F

MOSCOW, Sept. 21 (Xinhua) -- Russia will purchase armament and military equipment for 19 trillion rubles (about 613.5 billion U.S. dollars) by 2020, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Tuesday.

"This is a minimum we need to equip our forces with the modern weaponry. We could ask for more," Serdyukov said as quoted by the Interfax news agency.

Earlier Russia's government planned to allocate for the needs of the Defense Ministry up to 13 trillion rubles, but the ministry's high-ranking officials insisted that those money could satisfy only the needs of strategic nuclear forces, anti-aircraft defense and air forces.

They asked in June 2010 for 36 trillion rubles (about 1.16 trillion dollars) to cover the needs of all types of Russia's armed forces, excluding Navy and space forces.

Anatoly Serdyukov said Russia might purchase military technology from the U.S. for the first time. He mentioned Russian military could be interested in buying the automated command systems, information technology and "smart" weapons.

The Russian government plans to upgrade the weaponry by 70-80 percent

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom