Russia to modernize army for $600 billion till 2020

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

Published 21 September, 2010, 16:07

Russia intends to spend more than US$600 billion to re-equip its armed forces with cutting-edge weaponry. Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov says the program may even include buying US military technology.

Actually, Russia already has experience of buying equipment from the US, which could be considered military or paramilitary, acknowledged Ruslan Pukhov, director of the Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technology.

It all started before the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow, when the Soviet Union’s Interior Ministry bought some Motorola walkie-talkies.:lol:

Russia to modernize army for $600 billion till 2020 - RT Top Stories

It all started before the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow, when the Soviet Union’s Interior Ministry bought some Motorola walkie-talkies.:lol:
Russia to modernize army for $600 billion till 2020 - RT Top Stories

Wow. Guess the journalists really didn't care that much about the military.

I think it is a bit alarming that Russia, traditionally one of the biggest military exporters, is starting to look for imports as a way to modernize her military. What is wrong with doing that indigeniously?

"Russia is back" that was the ending title of a Russian army video which i saw few years back on youtube. i didn't know what they were talking about guess they were talking about military spending.:sniper:

Last edited:
Its not impossible for Russia to spend that much amount as Russian economy is taking shape. Russia is also the second largest oil producer and one of the largest exporter.

Is there any reason behind that thought or just passing a comment?

Russia to spend 600 billion dollars for armed forces by 2020

English.news.cn 2010-09-21 21:23:37 F

MOSCOW, Sept. 21 (Xinhua) -- Russia will purchase armament and military equipment for 19 trillion rubles (about 613.5 billion U.S. dollars) by 2020, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Tuesday.

"This is a minimum we need to equip our forces with the modern weaponry. We could ask for more," Serdyukov said as quoted by the Interfax news agency.

Earlier Russia's government planned to allocate for the needs of the Defense Ministry up to 13 trillion rubles, but the ministry's high-ranking officials insisted that those money could satisfy only the needs of strategic nuclear forces, anti-aircraft defense and air forces.

They asked in June 2010 for 36 trillion rubles (about 1.16 trillion dollars) to cover the needs of all types of Russia's armed forces, excluding Navy and space forces.

Anatoly Serdyukov said Russia might purchase military technology from the U.S. for the first time. He mentioned Russian military could be interested in buying the automated command systems, information technology and "smart" weapons.

The Russian government plans to upgrade the weaponry by 70-80 percent.

Russia to spend 600 billion dollars for armed forces by 2020

you don't know from there they are going to get it. They can spend that amount in a mix of indigenous, US, Israeli or even European equipment.

does the money going into the PAKFA project (6 billion??? correct me..) coming from this ,money?

600 Billions in a decade!......60 Billion USD a year.....thats too much and un realistic...given other services like RAF and RN as well.

600 Billions in a decade!......60 Billion USD a year.....thats too much and un realistic...given other services like RAF and RN as well.

Its not just army but armed forces. I think Russia has the economic capability to spend that much money in the next 10 years. They are exploring full potential of resources hidden in that vast landmass.

Its not just army but armed forces. I think Russia has the economic capability to spend that much money in the next 10 years. They are exploring full potential of resources hidden in that vast landmass.

yeah they ve got a lot of oil coming out these days but spending 60 Billion a year is still very hard to believe as they have historically using arms exports to fund their military. Lets see how true they prove to be to their cause

Wow. Guess the journalists really didn't care that much about the military.

I think it is a bit alarming that Russia, traditionally one of the biggest military exporters, is starting to look for imports as a way to modernize her military. What is wrong with doing that indigeniously?

The imports such as Israeli drones and Mistral are to gain knowledge. Many countries including the United States perchase forign technology directly or indirectly via other countries so they can study their capabilities and absorb their technical knowledge.

The imports such as Israeli drones and Mistral are to gain knowledge. Many countries including the United States perchase forign technology directly or indirectly via other countries so they can study their capabilities and absorb their technical knowledge.

So Russia is essentially using the purchases as a gap filling measure in areas such as automatic command systems so that she could eventually produce equal, if not superior products. Is that correct?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom