What's new

Russia starts construction of nuclear power plant in Bangladesh

What reactors from Japan? What are you talking about?

You may have the best thorium tech, but at the end of the day it's more then just the tech, its about support, security and trust etc and considering this is a strategic industry, we will never risk buying from a potential hostile neighbour.

Doubt India is even in a position to export tbh, we need to meet our own demand first. I agree with you the support side is vital not to mention the spares. We have faced a few problems with the Kudankulam Nuclear Power built by Russia but nothing that major just some valves that needed replacing seemed to be inferior quality and had to be changed.

Russian offered us the best deal, among China, Korea, France and USA

Japan and Russia are in partnership in civilian nuclear business these days. Only few months ago Japan stopped all enrichment program and outsourced them to Russia.

Without some vital Japanese safety related tech even GE and AREVA will not be able to cope that's why India is in a situation right now because we need Japan to sign that nuclear deal asap so we can start building the nuclear park with AREVA otherwise it will drag on.

I hope so, lets see how we'll this project goes. Russia has a bad reputation of jacking up prices half way through the project and not being able provide proper support.

bunch of ingrates you guys are ! When u are done cheerleading maybe you can ask your govt to cancel this deal with Russia and draft a new one with China :woot:

Japan and Russia are in partnership in civilian nuclear business these days. Only few months ago Japan stopped all enrichment program and outsourced them to Russia.

Russia - the first in the world to enrich uranium using centrifuges. We did it first, and continue to be leaders in the field of nuclear energy. In Russia began construction of the world's first closed-loop reactor - it will work on the waste from conventional reactors. Such technology does not exist anywhere else in the world.
If you have a contract with Rosatom - you get the Russian reactor. At this point - the safest in the world. That's why Rosatom chosen as a partner to Turkey, Iran, China, India, and many others, including Bangladesh. No Japanese reactos at Russian nuclear power plants do not have and can not be.

It will take us at least 10-15 years to take over operational control of the plant since we lack skilled technicians and manpower. Though I believe its a start. Our energy mix should be based on coal & nuclear in the future complimented by renewable sources.

Russian offered us the best deal, among China, Korea, France and USA

Were there even talks with anyone apart from Russia? :undecided:

@vostok , Japan steel works. supply core of reactor vessels to all major reactor exporters be it US or farce or RUssia since their technology to fabricate safe reactor vessels is unparalled. They have a tight schedule to meet demands from all over the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW what reactor is Russia going to supply? is it the VVER 1200 model?

it must be VVER-1000...same reactor that they have supplied to India and to many other countries including China..

Were there even talks with anyone apart from Russia? :undecided:

Yes, China, France and Korea and none of them agreed to make a state to state deal. They all asked to sign contract with their private companies which is not in our interest when it comes to TOT.

@vostok , Japan steel works. supply core of reactor vessels to all major reactor exporters be it US or farce or RUssia since their technology to fabricate safe reactor vessels is unparalled. They have a tight schedule to meet demands from all over the world.
I do not know about the U.S., but Russia itself produces everything needed for the construction of nuclear power plants. I may surprise you, but even the British Rolls-Royce has signed an agreement with Russia on cooperation - most likely Russia will build a nuclear power plant in Britain. No parts of Japan, especially the fuel assemblies - TVEL company, part of Rosatom makes it.

bunch of ingrates you guys are ! When u are done cheerleading maybe you can ask your govt to cancel this deal with Russia and draft a new one with China :woot:

Before opening that big fat gob of yours ask your own navy about Russian post contract price "adjustments", at least the Koreans and French, keep to their contractual obligations, then again honouring your word is not something you guys are used to.

I do not know about the U.S., but Russia itself produces everything needed for the construction of nuclear power plants. I may surprise you, but even the British Rolls-Royce has signed an agreement with Russia on cooperation - most likely Russia will build a nuclear power plant in Britain. No parts of Japan, especially the fuel assemblies - TVEL company, part of Rosatom makes it.

Brother I followed the deal with Rosatom and it was discussed that the Japanese factor which is the main reason for the delay in constructing the reactor.

Before opening that big fat gob of yours as your own navy about Russian post contract price "adjustments", at least the Koreans and French, keep to their contractual obligations, then again honouring your word is not something you guys are used to.

We have a open contract with Russians, the hard price never negotiated on. We are milking the Russian and you can take it that way. They gave us an approximate idea which is not even half the price of what they sold in Vietnam. Some people are really skeptical about the low ball pricing of Russia.

I don't think anyone is trying to imply, that Russia can't make quality nuclear power plants, infact Russia even after the soviet break up has some most advanced tech in this field, as well as the brightest technicians. What is true though the designing and building of something as advanced as nuclear power plants involve tech from multiple companies and nations.

I would not be surprised to see us power plants containing tech or derived tech from Russia, France, Korea etc its the way the global market works, you have to take best from where ever.

But the issue I have is not the tech as such, it's the after sales support and the business model Russia has been following. The post contract price adjustment half way through a contract is not sales policy, and the lack timely supplies is another issue.

Brother I followed the deal with Rosatom and it was discussed that the Japanese factor which is the main reason for the delay in constructing the reactor.

What is the Japanese factor? Maybe because there was an accident in Japan, after which many countries of the world have suspended the construction of nuclear power plants. But I'll guarantee you that Rosatom is building reactors on its own. In Russia now being built 8 nuclear units.
Maybe Bangladesh insisted on some Japanese parts?
In Russia now build eight nuclear power stations, among them - the world's first floating nuclear power plant. And no Japanese parts.

Sorry I guess U R right. JSW make reactor cores for all N. reactor manufacturers except for RUssian ones. But the the question comes whether Russian once are as safe as the others since JSW is the only company in the world that can "make cores in a single piece without welds, which reduces risk from radiation leakage" . Other companies have plans to try & replicate JSW technology including a Japanese rival , Japan Casting & Forging Corp. But so far its the only company that has this unique tech and as such a monopoly.

Japan Steel caters to all nuclear reactor makers except in Russia, which makes its own heavy forgings.
Samurai-Sword Maker's Reactor Monopoly May Cool Nuclear Revival - Bloomberg

@iajdani, are U sure the one RUssia is exporting to us have Japanese made reactor core?

Sorry I guess U R right. JSW make reactor cores for all N. reactor manufacturers except for RUssian ones. But the the question comes whether Russian once are as safe as the others since JSW is the only company in the world that can "make cores in a single piece without welds, which reduces risk from radiation leakage" . Other companies have plans to try & replicate JSW technology including a Japanese rival , Japan Casting & Forging Corp. But so far its the only company that has this unique tech and as such a monopoly.
Believe me, even if the reactor is safe to 99.99% will still be the probability of the accident. No matter where - in Russia, in Japan, the U.S. or Germany. But I'll tell you one thing - after the Chernobyl disaster on the safety of nuclear power stations in Russia began to worry a lot more. This created a unique technology and security reactors.

Back
Top Bottom