What's new

Russia not to exhibit T-50 jet fighter at Farnborough Air Show

Marxist

Reaction score
Country
India
Moscow: Russia will not be exhibiting its fifth-generation jet fighter, the T-50, at the Farnborough International Air Show in southern England this summer, the head of the Sukhoi aircraft maker said.

A prototype of the fighter made a 47-minute maiden flight in Russia's Far East on January 29.

Mikhail Pogosyan said that by the end of the year, three more fifth-generation jet fighters will begin test flights in Russia.

"By the end of 2010 or in early 2011, we must add to test flights three more jets," he said after his meeting with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

A source at the Sukhoi aircraft maker said on Monday the T-50 would start on a standard flight test program in April, adding it would take "several years" to complete the testing program.

Russia has been developing its newest fighter since the 1990s. The current prototype was designed by the Sukhoi design bureau and built at a plant in Komsomolsk-on-Amur, in Russia's Far East. It will be delivered to the Russian Air Force from 2015 onwards.

Russian officials have already hailed the fighter as "a unique warplane" that combines the capabilities of an air superiority fighter and attack aircraft.

http://www.****************/russia-not-to-exhibit-t-50-jet-fighter-at-farnborough-air-show-24596/

Last edited:
Pretty quick uptake I would say. Operational in 5 years from the 1st flight date.. If true, the quite possible that India will have these babes sooner than or at the same time as the MMRCA..

Moscow: Russia will not be exhibiting its fifth-generation jet fighter, the T-50, at the Farnborough International Air Show in southern England this summer, the head of the Sukhoi aircraft maker said.

A prototype of the fighter made a 47-minute maiden flight in Russia's Far East on January 29.

Mikhail Pogosyan said that by the end of the year, three more fifth-generation jet fighters will begin test flights in Russia.

"By the end of 2010 or in early 2011, we must add to test flights three more jets," he said after his meeting with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

A source at the Sukhoi aircraft maker said on Monday the T-50 would start on a standard flight test program in April, adding it would take "several years" to complete the testing program.

Russia has been developing its newest fighter since the 1990s. The current prototype was designed by the Sukhoi design bureau and built at a plant in Komsomolsk-on-Amur, in Russia's Far East. It will be delivered to the Russian Air Force from 2015 onwards.

Russian officials have already hailed the fighter as "a unique warplane" that combines the capabilities of an air superiority fighter and attack aircraft.

http://www.****************/russia-not-to-exhibit-t-50-jet-fighter-at-farnborough-air-show-24596/

Whats the reason? Just secretive???

Its good to see that they remained in the time frame of 2015 for RuAF. We can expect first PAK FA in IAF by 2016/17.

I am guessing that the Russians are saving the T-50 for a first flight at their own air show?

To be combat ready and hav full abilities for PAK FA, it needs more fund and more times, maybe plus 10 years or more. from 2015 ? It isn't possible.
What if the anti-stealth technology appears in coming two decades?
What if the 5-gen age is over before the PAK KA gets ready. ?
I think.. these days most countries start to focus on UAVs/UCAVs and it won't be a good option to hold the very expensive stealths with hight maintenance costs.

I guess so as they wan the bird to soar high and make a mark in their own skies..

To be combat ready and hav full abilities for PAK FA, it needs more fund and more times, maybe plus 10 years or more. from 2015 ? It isn't possible.
I think.. these days most countries start to focus on UAVs/UCAVs and it won't be a good option to hold the very expensive stealths with hight maintenance costs.

The same argument holds for all other 5th gens out there, especially for F-35 since they are planing to produce some 3000 of it.. The presence of counter measures and 5th gen fighters doesn't stop anyone from producing more 4-4.5th gen fighters. 5th gen era is only beginning and a UCAV that can replace a modern day fighter is still decades away from completion. What you will see in UCAVs in coming years would be stealth strike aircrafts with secondary A-A mode.

Keep in mind the T-50 is still a prototype ,

They would want a big international reveal , I would think they would want a more advanced LSP version of the aircraft at the AirShow.

The Timings must not have worked.

I agree to you here as T50 is still in infant stages of testing and will be a big bang once it is launched with everything in it as it's the only machine that can be directly compared to the F22 raptor... And Russia will do her best to make a big impact in the launch of the T50 and they as well as we count on that to a great extent.... But there's one thing that Im sure of and that is the FGFA/PAK-FA will be something that' the entire world would really appreciate as it is something made of all the things made in east and not west and is as good as what the west offers or has.... :bounce:

T-50 programme is half funded by India?
Correct me,if am wrong!

I am guessing that the Russians are saving the T-50 for a first flight at their own air show?

Exactly:

PAK-FA will be shown at MAKS-2011

Russia’s fifth-generation aircraft will take part in demonstration flights at the MAKS-2011 airshow in Zhukovsky, General Director of both Sukhoi and MIG companies Mikhail Pogosyan told a press conference at the Farnborough airshow 2010.

“I think you will see how a fifth-generation aircraft is flying at the MAKS show next year,” Pogosyan said.

The Russian fifth-generation aircraft will cost cheaper than its foreign analogs, he said.

“The price for our airplane will be much lower than that of analogous airplanes offered by our foreign rivals,” he said.

The aircraft will be more expensive than a fourth-generation aircraft due to a large amount of electronics and modern equipment being used, but its price will be affordable for the Russian Defense Ministry, Pogosyan said. “Its tactical efficiency is three times higher than that of a fourth-generation aircraft,” Pogosyan said.

Even a presentation at Aero India (although in 2012) should have more priority for them then Farnborough I would say.

If that would be so easy, the US would be hit the most with F22/F35/B2/X47 UCAV (which main advantage is stealth, not that it is unmanned), all of them would be useless. The fact that so many countries are investing in stealth should make clear that anti-stealth will not be available so soon, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom