What's new

Russia calls Qusair Battle a 'Counter-terrorist' operation.

WarMonger

BANNED
Reaction score
Russia: Proposed U.N. statement on Syria's Qusair was one-sided.
MOSCOW | Mon Jun 3, 2013 12:02pm EDT

(Reuters) - Russia said on Monday it blocked a U.N. Security Council declaration on the siege of the Syrian town of al-Qusair over the weekend because it amounted to a demand for a unilateral ceasefire by government forces.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich described what is happening in Qusair, a Syrian rebel stronghold besieged by Syrian troops and Hezbollah guerrillas for two weeks, as a "counterterrorist operation".

At the Security Council on Saturday, diplomats said Russia blocked a draft statement circulated by Britain that voiced grave concern about the situation in Qusair and urged both sides to avoid civilian casualties. It called on the government to "exercise its responsibility to protect civilians" and give aid workers access to trapped residents.

Lukashevich, whose government is Assad's major allies, said this draft amounted to "a demand for the unilateral ceasefire by the Syrian military and passage out for bandits surrounded in several neighborhoods of the town".

"It can hardly be called timely to propose raising the voice of the international community in a situation when the Syrian army is completing a counterterrorist operation against militants who terrorized the population (of Qusair) for months without restraint," he said.

Russia has been Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's most powerful protector during a conflict that has killed more than 80,000 people since March 2011. Moscow has prevented U.N. sanctions and, with China, vetoed three U.N. Security Council resolutions aimed at pressuring Assad's government.

(Writing by Steve Gutterman, editing by Thomas Grove and Mark Heinrich)

Russia: Proposed U.N. statement on Syria's Qusair was one-sided | Reuters

@BLACKEAGLE @500 @Surenas @Hussein @ResurgentIran @Yzd Khalifa @Arzamas 16 @Syrian Lion @KS

Last edited by a moderator:
LoL the Russian gov't is the biggest terrorist organization of all time. That's why we have been giving them the middle finger for ages.

Hundreds of Arab terrorists not Americans fought in Chechnya.
After all Arabs are just serving their American masters.:rofl:

Eeh. Since you brought the discussion to that level, I will leave it to you by now.

well can't find anything better than Counter-terrorist' operation to describe what SAA is doing in Qusair

I think "counter cannibal" operation would be more appropriate.

You mean Ibn al-Khattab? He left from Afghanistan to Chechnya Sir :bounce:

I asked which nationality he was from. You were talking about nationalities in your earlier comment.

For words' sakes even OBL was in Afghanistan and then in Pakistan before being snuffed.

Khattab was a Saudi. You just want to get the loonies opposing the liberal (communally) regime of Assad who keeps religious tensions low, to power.

What's with you lot inciting sectarian fanaticism everywhere, man? At the end of the day, a man wants to work, get salary, go home and enjoy with his family peacefully.

Is that too hard for you to tolerate?

Egypt your types created havoc; Libya against you lot fanaticised the replacing regime; now in Syria where there is relative peace in terms of religious fundamentalism, you again create havoc. On top of that Qatar and Saudi are actually opposing Assad. He may be a dictator but at least he has kept Syrians from becoming like Taliban and AQ.

Besides, you lot should be the last one to call him a dictator considering how there is not a single democracy (in true sense) in the arab world.

On topic, I applaud Russia for standing firm on vetoing another trash invasion. Let Syrian government clamp down on the fanatic loonies and once they emerge successful in crushing islamist fundamentalist forces, talks can always be held.

Little do the Americans and Europeans realize that them opposing Assad would destroy their own business interests in Middle East in the long term. Oh, and also put Israel into a shytestorm

You just want to get the loonies opposing the liberal (communally) regime of Assad who keeps religious tensions low, to power.

And when did I endorse religious fanatics? Actually, I never did. Yes, we do know from a subjective speaking view point that Assad is a secular, but being a secular is one thing ,and being a blood sucker is another thing. If secularism could have helped any better then it would have prevented Hitler from slaughtering 50 million.

What's with you lot inciting sectarian fanaticism everywhere, man? At the end of the day, a man wants to work, get salary, go home and enjoy with his family peacefully.

I never incited sectarian fanaticism whatsoever, but if you wish to bring it on an official level then let me tell you that KSA has had a very good relation with Assad prior to the civil war.

Is that too hard for you to tolerate?

The devil you're talking about? Half of my family is Christian, so I don't understand what you're saying :undecided:

Besides, you lot should be the last one to call him a dictator considering how there is not a single democracy (in true sense) in the arab world.

That's the joke of the year :rofl: we never called Assad a dictator, but we were against him for slaughtering the Syrian people.

Sigh, some people :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom