What's new

Russia blocks RD-93 to Pakistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averroes

Reaction score
MOSCOW: Russia has blocked the sale of Chinese fighter planes with Russian engines to Pakistan.

"We've denied China the right to supply its JF-17 fighter aircraft powered by Russian RD-93 engines to third countries, asking it to sign an end-user certificate for the engines," said Colonel-General Anatoly Mazurkevich, head of the Defence Ministry's International Cooperation Department.

President Pervez Musharraf said last year that the JF-17s would be flying in Pakistani skies by March 2007. Islamabad plans to acquire 150 JF-17s, known in China as FC-1. China has bought 100 Klimov RD-93 engines from Russia for installing on JF-17s, with an option to contract another 400 engines.

Speaking to Indian and Russian journalists ahead of a visit to India by Russia's Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov on January 22, Col.-Gen. Mazurkevich confirmed that India and Russia are shortly to sign accords to jointly develop and produce a 5th generation fighter plane and a multi-role transport aircraft.

India is expected to announce during Mr. Ivanov's visit its choice between two Russian concepts of a multi-role stealth fighter plane of the 5th generation that the Russian aviation majors, Sukhoi and MIG, presented to the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) last year.

The aircraft deals will be discussed when Mr. Ivanov co-chairs with Defence Minister A.K. Antony the 6th meeting of the Indo-Russian Inter-Governmental Commission for Military-Technical Cooperation. Ahead of the commission meeting on January 24 Mr. Ivanov will fly to Bangalore to visit the HAL and the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), as well as some leading Information and Technology companies, and meet business people.
http://www.hindu.com/2007/01/22/stories/2007012206341400.htm

this wasn't helpful

If it's true we will have to wait a year or two for the Chinese engine, but this shouldn't come as a surprise. What this could mean is that more J-10s can be ordered or aternative fighter jet,. so we all can say Indian #### of Russia worked but didnt work on the Americans which is good.

Plus, thats an Indian site, and we all know how reliable they are. So, we should wait until our sources confirm this.

And I knew it all along!:rolleyes:

Kudos to Putin for denying technology to a CIA proxy!

And if China proliferates Russian technology to CIA proxies, or to countries with bad human rights record, then Putin should embargo even sanitised technology to China.:tup:

The report quotes

"We've denied China the right to supply its JF-17 fighter aircraft powered by Russian RD-93 engines to third countries, asking it to sign an end-user certificate for the engines," said Colonel-General Anatoly Mazurkevich, head of the Defence Ministry's International Cooperation Department.

This implies that Russians are insisting on end user license ageement probably they need to work on IPR clause. This does not mean they will deny the engines if chinese sign the EUC for engines.

Cant we get USA to make engines for this plane?

It would be a good idea to just use the already developed engine. It would also get rid of the smoke trail problem that JF-17 often develops, however the cost of course will go up a couple of million.

However, i am still optimistic about the RD-93 and pretty sure that it will go through.

Boy!:lol:

Why go through that teeth pulling exercise when Mr Musharraf can buy more of his favourite Islamukk F-sola....Right off the God-damn shelf, which are as is more capable than this untried thing.

All he has to do is play another act to crack down on jihadi's and Taleban.

It would be a good idea to just use the already developed engine. It would also get rid of the smoke trail problem that JF-17 often develops, however the cost of course will go up a couple of million.

However, i am still optimistic about the RD-93 and pretty sure that it will go through.

I hope so man but still India cannot stand to see Pakistan acquire over 150 Jf-17 along with 100 F-16 to upgrade its Air force

And it is pressuring Russia not to sell arms to Pakistan

Isn't there something Pakistan can do which can pressure Russia?

I hope so man but still India cannot stand to see Pakistan acquire over 150 Jf-17 along with 100 F-16 to upgrade its Air force

And it is pressuring Russia not to sell arms to Pakistan
you are right!
Isn't there something Pakistan can do which can pressure Russia?

pakistan have not as good relation with russia as India have.but china definitely can pressurise russia. so lets see what happens next

Pakistan and ISI can always start supporting the American 'wahabbi' Jihad in Chechnya with the CIA's connivance!:lol:

that could be a way to get back at Russia.....right??:agree:

pakistan have not as good relation with russia as India have.but china definitely can pressurise russia. so lets see what happens next

China has its limitations.Russia remains the main source for China to source weapons, while India has other sources like Israel and now even the US.

And for that very reason i feel Russia would be bothered more about India than China.

And also strategically Russia wont be that comfortable seeing global power raising in their very border(and that too a large one).

Man this news has made me depressed

I was so happy that Pakistan will have its own air planes but this has put a crank in the whole thing

I was so happy that Pakistan will have its own air planes but this has put a crank in the whole thing

So soon you've got depresses......

jitne munhhh utni baatein:disagree: ,

Thunder program is there to flourish, not to set back, and this is not our headache, whether are we going to get the engines or not......airforce personnel are their, they know whats best, what to do and whats the derivative etc.

Just chill out and relax!!! :cool:

Well i dont know why you found it so surprising. Its still not confirmed you might find another article coming out saying Russia has agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom