What's new

Restaurants in Pakistan

Glutty's law: there are more than enough restaurants in a big city to last a lifetime.

Therefore in a restaurant thread only the best ones should be mentioned.

Restaurant review:
Hot out of a Bowl delivers comfort food at its best

1174180-IMG_-1472725542-770-640x480.jpg

Opened at F-6, opposite Islamabad’s very popular Chaaye Khana, HOB is an interesting restaurant that offers dishes from various cuisines.

What’s the one place where you can enjoy a Hibachi Beef Bowl while your mom relishes her Khaosuey and your Nani devours some Daal Makhani? Pleasing three generations with three different cuisines at one restaurant is undeniably a challenge, but one that Hot of out of Bowl (HOB) seems to meet perfectly.

Opened at F-6, opposite Islamabad’s very popular Chaaye Khana, HOB is an interesting restaurant that offers dishes from various cuisines including Asian, Mexican, Indian and Continental. The brainchild of an Islamabad-based couple Nida and Aamir, this is a concept that has evolved from their family heritage. While some recipes have been passed on to them from their elder generations, others are a result of Nida’s experimentations.

Quality 4/5

I was sold the second I tried HOB’s loaded fries appetizer, and realised it was very similar to the Shake Shack cheese fries. Essentially, some waffle cut potatoes topped with cheese, jalapeno and salsa, the fries are the most delicious you will find in Islamabad.

IMG_101711111-3.jpg

IMG_102611111-1.jpg

The dim sum is a must try as well. I have always believed that perfect dim sum is a work of art and the ones at HOB are precisely that. Hand-wrapped to perfection, the momos (as they are called on the menu) are an absolute treat. Dip them in the tangy sauce and your taste buds will feel like they are in heaven!

IMG_1038111111-1.jpg

HOB doesn’t have a specific cuisine and that’s what makes it stand out. After a taste of the Asian dim sum, we decided to try ‘Big Bold Burrito,’ a Mexican item. This burrito comes in a bowl and has a guilt-free medley of flavours and textures, with corn, beans, cilantro, lime, rice and grilled chicken topped with a dash of sour cream and salad. The rich blend not only tastes delicious but will also remind you of the first time you tried Chipotle on your trip to the US. In fact, the Big Bold Burrito could give Chipotle a good run for its money.

IMG_1043111111.jpg

PHOTO: Hafsah Sarfraz

On the flipside, my friend ordered the Bombay Biryani and was slightly disappointed as we were expecting it to be rich like the one offered at House of Bombay (another project of HOB). Fortunately, the Singaporean Rice and the Hibachi Beef Bowl made up for it. The latter is an absolute treat for beef lovers. A bed of lightly seasoned noodles with mustard and ginger sauces served on the side is topped with perfectly-cooked beef, which leaves one wanting more.

IMG_1042111111-1.jpg

At first, I thought Singaporean Rice is an exotic Asian dish but turns out it hails from good old Karachi! Regardless though, the dish is full of oriental flavours with stir fried chicken and vegetables on rice, topped with a hot sauce, crispy noodles and garlic.

You cannot leave HOB without trying their date pudding. Yes, not bread or butter or chocolate but date pudding! It is absolutely delicious and I don’t even eat dates generally. So imagine how much date-lovers are going to like it.

Presentation 3/5

While most of the entrées we ordered looked as good as they tasted, some of them could have been presented better. The date pudding, for one, could do with a much more attractive look – it tastes so good that it deserves it. The Singaporean rice and Hibachi beef bowl looked stunning but the salads and biryani could have been arranged in a better way.

IMG_104711111.jpg

Atmosphere 4/5

The ambiance of HOB is unique and interesting. The restaurant is trying to make fast food out of comfort food dishes and that’s the message its premises gives away. With abstract shapes on the walls, wooden furniture and artistic bowls on a rack, HOB is a break from the typical, cosy cafes sprouting around the city these day.

Verdict 4/5

Hot out of a Bowl is a great new addition to Islamabad. You can head there with friends and family, knowing that even the picky teenager and Nani who refuses to experiment with food will find something they like.

We also have thousand of these type of Hotels/restaurants serving various foods from all across the world in Dhaka.

NO BIG DEAL.HOWEVER,our traditional items are never found there.

I will never forget Shezan Hotel cum restaurant, in Doha,QATAR, where they used to serve Roomali Roti along with beef liver,brain, THAK A THAKS, prepared right in front of you,a real delicacy, I used to be one of their regular customers specially for these two items + GULAB JAMUN sweet and halwa . At one stage my URIC ACID turned abnormally high.

However, I STILL visited them for my special items, but less frequently.

I will never forget those golden meals. No other western/oriental foods ever delighted me so much.

I really miss those days.

Café M is ‘freaking’ amazing

1146563-f-1469111563-195-640x480.jpg

Café M is a unique addition because of its menu, concept, architecture and décor!

Last year, a small London café by the name of Molly Bakes revolutionised how we expected milkshakes to be like. They introduced ‘freakshakes’ – possibly the most extravagantly presented shakes ever, topped with doughnuts, brownies, pretzels, ice-cream and whipped cream. Needless to say, the images left one drooling over their Instagram. Luckily for people in Islamabad, a newly opened café in F-10 is now serving these freakshakes as well, along with a variety of appetisers and snacks to ensure we can get a taste of Molly Bakes without having to travel halfway across the world.

But the shakes are not the only thing that sets this café apart. Café M is a unique addition because of its menu, concept, architecture and décor! Haroon Naseer, the brains behind Café M told The Express Tribune that the idea behind Café M is to give people a place to hang out and work. “The space is very creatively designed; ensuring people can let their creative juices flow while they come in to discuss new ideas over cups of coffee. Our menu is limited but unique. We try to offer different things that other cafes in the vicinity don’t and we will continue adding items to our menu with every passing month,” he said.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

Quality: 4/5

We started off with the freakshakes that have become extremely popular and picked the Nutella and M&Ms option, which lived up to the hype. Admittedly a little heavy to consume with a main course, the drink was a perfect blend of the rich, creamy Nutella spread. My friend tried the chocolate brownie freakshake and was all praises too, specifically for the gooey brownie. The shake itself has crushed brownie bits stirred in which made one feel like they are munching on brownies while drinking the shake. According to the café’s management, the brownies are imported, which speaks about their distinct taste. The only downfall we could see is that each shake is priced at around a Rs1000, which is expensive. But once you have it, you’ll realize how they are worth it.

Out of the sandwiches, the BBQ sandwich had a nice smoked BBQ taste with fresh bread making it the perfect grab-and-go meal for those at work. The Jalapeno Panini was also absolutely delicious, with crispy panini bread filled with a thick layer of cheese, jalapeno and chicken, perfectly spiced to add a unique zing to it.

From the desserts list, it was the blue velvet cake that caught our attention. Though it tasted just as good as red velvet does – super moist, soft with two thick layers of cream cheese and three of blue colored cake – it did look remarkably distinctive. Another dessert that needs a special mention is the cheesecake! Though a staple at most cafes, very few bakers can do it really well. A crunchy base with a fluffy cheesecake layer on top, not too sweet but with just the right amount of flavor is what you want and Café M offers exactly that.

Also, the rest of the menu is priced quite reasonably and competitively, with most items falling within the bracket of Rs500 to Rs700 rupees.

Presentation: 4/5

One of the best things about Café M is its presentation. One could argue that maybe they are able to make everything look so picture perfect and magazine-worthy because their menu is limited. But everything on the menu always comes in with a beautiful presentation. The paninis are served with potato wedges on wooden platters that give a very unique and interesting look.

Atmosphere : 4/5

Amongst Café M’s most distinct features is its interior. It is so unique and stylish in its own special way that it leaves you in awe. The angular roof and corners, along with the vintage bulbs, make it stand out from the rest. Its customised origami-inspired ceiling design instantly catches one’s attention. The wooden furniture in warm tones and book shelf give off a cozy vibe, making it the perfect spot to enjoy Islamabad rain in. There are a few tables available for outdoor seating as well.

Verdict: 4/5 stars

f3.jpg

f7.jpg

Lahore

29525d2562f9ec9296115657d4356716.jpg

6a8b38583b212609de9870ff3bcb1517.jpg

Ranoush, Karachi

d924c8506af35e6c17e22da890b093f0.jpg

a40fa5a3c11e1c9fa68bc234ef47b9a4.jpg

403f9c755700a3603e0459ecf057ef31.jpg

Bulbalayas Restaurant, Lahore

a9c13a3cf161840384a1d78cb36bf1b2.jpg

2efcaa645bfa74ad18032d8c4d498106.jpg

52316592e2dfaa23381876fc3a7e7db3.jpg

3e2b7672cf14777116eeac27126d04df.jpg

af2dcb5d983e3c786c1d9a68ea0361ed.jpg

Arcadian Cafenin Packages Mall, Lahore

269eacaa1f8a469ac0f6160c25d8d957.jpg

ba263fa0b69d7ed1a0ceade9e1816739.jpg

0367dc0917d732aa68cf77da79ed93e8.jpg

Grotto, Karachi

487c38ebf16a53b940ba03576fcda877.jpg

Downtown Bistro,Hayatabad, Peshawar

4598e892e0c1f4b358de4751df1caf24.jpg

291b30bb78ba36c0c610262a913d619f.jpg

1c7426fd665f31fdd4a12ca8851af5fe.jpg

9263c335a9255cb3fded09789c671488.jpg

Fast food chains are not restaurants.

Apart form a select few in Khi, Restaurants in Pakistan suck for their lack of service and
absolute lack of appreciation for clients that come to them to spend money.
And the rest enter these restaurants so hungry they dont notice anything:D

Restaurant review:

Yoshi's will feed your soul with Japanese comfort food

SONIA ASHRAF

The restaurant introduces the iconic Japanese dish okonomiyaki to Karachi

5cde6f9609145.jpg

Okay, let's get one thing clear: we can never resist comfort food.

I mean, is there anything that genuinely makes you feel better like a nice, hot meal that fills you up?

New restaurant Yoshi's is proof that while cuisines vary all over the world, comfort food is a global need. A Japanese restaurant, Yoshi's is similar to organic cafe Makotoya in that it moves away from the typical sushi and teppenyaki but at the same time is vastly different. While Makotoya is for the healthy calorie counter, Yoshi's wants you to carboload all the guilty pleasure.

The restaurant is also the first place to introduce Japan's popular dish, okonomiyaki; a savoury pancake and omelette hybrid, which is known as Japan's soul food.

I won't lie, while I'm always excited for good Japanese cuisine - and was going to be having okonomiyaki after years - I was more fascinated by the restaurant's name being inspired by Nintendo's lovable dinosaur. Yeah.

Where to go
Yoshi's, owned by Rameez Jokhio has taken over the first branch of Asian fusion joint Chop Chop Wok. You know the one, at Phase V Khadda market adjacent to Indus Foods.

5cde6dff1f936.jpg

It's easy to spot the place because of its quirky pink door with resembles a gashapon (vending machine). Honestly, at first glance you won't think it's a door and will be distracted by the cute trinkets on display. BTW there are Yoshi figures as well so I was right on my initial thought. Ha.

The interior is just as bright, a flock of paper cranes on one side and an artwork featuring Anthony Bourdain in Star Wars on the other.

When to go

Yoshi's is open from 12:30pm to 12am.

What to order

I was very impressed by Yoshi's offerings. Apart from okonomiytaki, they had many delicious items which were either authentic Japanese dishes or clever fusions. And let's just say I forgot about everything when I saw the fried chicken options. Despite preferring beef over chicken, fried chicken is my favourite comfort food.

I held my excitement for karaage and started out with the appetisers; the spicy edamame and gyozas.

5cde6898e7291.jpg

The edamame was cooked well but we felt like the sauce was a little too overpowering. Edamame doesn't really require such a rich sauce, just a dry spice blended with the salt and pepper would do fine.

5cde6b80f2b5f.jpg

The wasabi fries were an odd combo that was unable to harmonise as a dish. Perhaps if the wasabi was stronger?

5cde69a2501dc.jpg

The gyozas were also a little too dry for our liking, which honestly had us concerned about the food ahead. But thankfully, Yoshi's entrees were top notch and we immediately forgot the mediocre small plates.

5cde6c13876de.jpg

The Japanese fried chicken is now not only my favourite dish from Yoshi's but I have gone back frequently for more. The crispy batter was coated with a mild sweet sauce which goes wonderfully with the chicken, which itself was tender and juicy.

5cde6c9b913d8.jpg

The Korean fried chicken will be pretty popular among Karachi foodies due to the spicy notes in the sauce. And once again, the chicken was just spot on.

5cde6c59752de.jpg

We were excited when the okonomiyaki hit the table. It's difficult to describe the dish and calling it a pancake and omelette hybrid doesn't really do it justice - it's also known as Japanese pizza in the US but that too is a vague description. It is made on a grill similar to the teppanyaki and is an adaptable dish that can have almost anything in it. Yoshi's okonomiyaki consists of prawn, beef cabbage and other crunchy veggies. Pretty close to the classic dish actually.

5cde6c6eb1a45.jpg

Yoshi's okonomiyaki is very similar to the classic Osaka style dish and my colleagues loved it, being unable to compare it to any other dish out there in Karachi. While I agree, I did miss the distinct tang and subtle notes of garlic that the authentic okonomiyaki has. That being said, I was impressed by the quantity and quality.

5cde6bb589adc.jpg

Yoshi's also has a unique hot dog formula which might not satisfy your classic hot dog needs but will come pretty close and holds its own - especially the classic variant. The dog is cooked in crispy batter and placed on a bao bun. There are 5 versions of the 'Japa-dawg' and we loved how each had its own flavour.

5cde6b93ea2ae.jpg

The miso dawg stood out and we were smitten by the taste. The earthy and salty notes of miso were strong and also, all these dawgs are huge and filling! Shout out to Yoshi's for their generous portions!

The dynamite dawg is comparatively spicier and we enjoyed the shredded crab laid on the base of the bun. Another point to mention; these are extremely messy to eat but it's all part of the fun.

5cde69532ff2a.jpg

Initially Yoshi's was experimenting with their bagus, having a crispy rice 'bun' wrapped in nori. While it sounded great on paper, we were underwhelmed as the rice overpowered everything within and considering how much it was stuffed to the brim, that's saying something. The meat was overshadowed and any beef fan can relate when I say, that is just never okay.

Luckily Yoshi's picked up on the criticism and has replaced the crispy rice with bao buns and that made a significant difference.

5cde6a1737ced.jpg

The yoshizza is the restaurant's take on - you guessed it - pizza and the dish is very similar to Easy's pizzas in both presentation and style of thick crust. I personally prefer thin crust pizzas so I wasn't leaning heavily on this guy but my friends did enjoy it a lot. Our pizza had rock shrimp as the toppings and while that was an extremely odd combination, we loved the marinade on the shrimp.

5cde6e8c0703d.jpg

A glass of cheezo milk tea in melon helped downing all the heavy goodies. The drink has a nice thick layer of cheese foam and trust me when I say it tastes way better than it sounds! Yoshi's drinks are a must try as well, like the coconut and curd shake and the yuzunade - which is just made for the gram!

5cde6d1642327.jpg

Yoshi's has ice-cream for dessert at the moment which was a slight letdown for me because I'm waiting for good Japanese desserts to hit Karachi already. According to the chef, they are on their way.

The matcha ice-cream is perfect for matcha fans with its extremely strong notes of green tea. The black sesame ice cream has nutty notes but is accompanied by the strong bitter flavour usually associated with the core ingredient so it's not the most commercial ice-cream flavour out there.

5cde6d22e13b9.jpg

For those who love trying out new restos but want a safe bet, the Vietnamese coffee sundae is the way to go. Sweet, topped with candies with an underlying hint of espresso, this is great for sharing.

Damage on the pocket

Yoshi's prices range from Rs 450 - Rs 750, which for the quantity is pretty decent and rather impressive considering how high up the prices have been going these days. They have made a regular out of me for their fried chicken, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom