What's new

Researchers make artificial cells that can replicate themselves.

mpk1988

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW LIFE MIGHT HAVE STARTED ON EARTH

By Alexandra Ossola

protocell_model.jpg

A model of a protocell
Janet Iwasa, Szostak Laboratory, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital via National Science Foundation

Scientists have a pretty good theory for how life on Earth began: Meteorites that bombarded our planet brought simple carbon-based compounds called amino acids. Eventually, slowly, these chemicals combined to make cells, which were then able to replicate and become the increasingly complex forms of life that we have today. But researchers didn't quite understand the mechanisms through which the earliest life forms evolved; though these cells were able to replicate, they were not yet alive. Now a team of Japanese biologists has created artificial cells similar to those that might have first existed on Earth to better understand how they might have started to divide and evolve, according to a study published today in Nature Communications.

The researchers made a synthetic “protocell” made of DNA and proteins packaged inside lipids, which are fatty compounds meant to mimic the cell membrane. These spheres aren’t alive, but the DNA in them contains instructions to replicate under the right conditions. By changing the pH of the spheres’ environment, the researchers were able to trigger the cells to divide. But the hard part was replenishing the spheres’ supplies so that they could start the division process over again, as real cells do. To work around this, the researchers designed the newly split synthetic cells to combine with other cell-like structures nearby. It worked—the spheres had three successful generations in the lab.

What’s more, the researchers now think they understand the cyclic process by which their synthetic cells (and, thus, the protocells) might have divided: ingestion (the cells combine to replenish supplies), replication (the DNA is copied), maturity (the cells prepare to divide), and division (new cells split out from the parent).

The researchers made a synthetic “protocell” made of DNA and proteins packaged inside lipids, which are fatty compounds meant to mimic the cell membrane. These spheres aren’t alive, but the DNA in them contains instructions to replicate under the right conditions. By changing the pH of the spheres’ environment, the researchers were able to trigger the cells to divide. But the hard part was replenishing the spheres’ supplies so that they could start the division process over again, as real cells do. To work around this, the researchers designed the newly split synthetic cells to combine with other cell-like structures nearby. It worked—the spheres had three successful generations in the lab.

What’s more, the researchers now think they understand the cyclic process by which their synthetic cells (and, thus, the protocells) might have divided: ingestion (the cells combine to replenish supplies), replication (the DNA is copied), maturity (the cells prepare to divide), and division (new cells split out from the parent).

screen_shot_2015-09-28_at_3.48.06_pm.png

The researchers' graphic of the protocell regeneration model.
Kensuke Kurihara et al, Nature Communications, 2015

The researchers believe that their model could mimic how the precursors for life formed and propagated—the cells would not have been self contained and would need to replenish their energy supplies before continuing to reproduce. The pH changes that brought on three of the four phase transitions could easily happen around hydrothermal vents, the study authors write. However, the study left some important questions unanswered. The researchers are still unsure about how protocells’ genes influence their physical characteristics, or phenotype, how evolution-driving mutations might have happened in them, and how fast they might have been able to replicate. They hope to create more sophisticated protocell models in the future to further investigate how the genes might have worked in these precursors to life.

Researchers Make Artificial Cells That Can Replicate Themselves | Popular Science

Pretty DAMN amazing!!!

But what if they went out of control after plantation in human body?

These are not meant to be introduced into the human body.

what i read was, there are experiments going to heal human body in case of damage using cells replication.

They would either be killed or multiply as "tumor cells".

Great experiments!!

Yup, That's what i meant toa sk. as tumor cell behave in the same way. uncontrolled replication of cells.

what i read was, there are experiments going to heal human body in case of damage using cells replication.

Those cells (different and tailored accordingly) will probably have apoptosis controlled. However, like you mentioned the unwanted multiplication cannot be ruled out completely.

But what if they went out of control after plantation in human body?

Sorry for the earlier reply. This has new applications in regenerative research - most importantly in growing organs. Organ rejection is a particularly serious problem in transplants. Artificially grown cells with replicated characteristics might just be the answer.

Another possible application could be in computing. Organic, DNA-based computing is emerging as a serious possibility. Also, the absence of self-replicating fibres has always been a limiting factor in developing substitutes to a lot of commonly used materials. One day, such organically grown fibre may well replace plastics, for example.

And finally, it may also have applications in artificial meat production - the holy grail of solving malnutrition forever!

Sorry for the earlier reply. This has new applications in regenerative research - most importantly in growing organs. Organ rejection is a particularly serious problem in transplants. Artificially grown cells with replicated characteristics might just be the answer.

Another possible application could be in computing. Organic, DNA-based computing is emerging as a serious possibility. Also, the absence of self-replicating fibres has always been a limiting factor in developing substitutes to a lot of commonly used materials. One day, such organically grown fibre may well replace plastics, for example.

And finally, it may also have applications in artificial meat production - the holy grail of solving malnutrition forever!

Good reply.. Are you a researcher?

Good reply.. Are you a researcher?

Not really. Just have an active interest in science and tech. That's all. My special areas of interest are transhumanism, AI, and emerging developments in genetics, nanotechnology and robotics.

Not really. Just have an active interest in science and tech. That's all. My special areas of interest are transhumanism, AI, and emerging developments in genetics, nanotechnology and robotics.

Same here as far as interests go!!.. Did my masters in nanotechnology.

Excellent thread by the way. Tough to find these on PDF. I usually go to TED to get my fill!

If you're interested in Science and Tech, I do maintain a thread solely for said purpose. And I do agree, if's very hard to find such here.

Here's the link to the thread:

Micro stories - small news bits too small to have their own thread

That's all. My special areas of interest are transhumanism, AI, and emerging developments in genetics, nanotechnology and robotics.

Wow, you'd be good friends with @Transhumanist / @Technogaianist ! She works on robotics constructing AI for military systems. She's a fan of transhumanist philosophies too. Unfortunately she quit the forum several weeks ago:(.

I work in robotics as well... well, cybernetics actually:

59290647.jpg

Human robotics. Nice to have you here, and :welcome: 2 :pdf:!

If you're interested in Science and Tech, I do maintain a thread solely for said purpose. And I do agree, if's very hard to find such here.

Here's the link to the thread:

Micro stories - small news bits too small to have their own thread

Wow, you'd be good friends with @Transhumanist / @Technogaianist ! She works on robotics constructing AI for military systems. She's a fan of transhumanist philosophies too. Unfortunately she quit the forum several weeks ago:(.

I work in robotics as well... well, cybernetics actually:

59290647.jpg

Human robotics. Nice to have you here, and :welcome: 2 :pdf:!

Thanks a lot for the welcome dear. Actually I am more interested in the practical aspects of transhumanism. In that, I draw a distinction between transhumanism and the cult of Singularity. Yes, I think the concept of Singularity has become something of a cult. Too many people seem to be irrationally exuberant about the outcome of the disruptive forces that are being unleashed through technology. I do believe that these changes can be highly empowering, provided we are able to control the process. Which is why I am a fan of "post-scarcity" economics as well.

Are you interested in these things or am I boring you already?!

Just saw a nice post on gene-editing in the thread link that you sent me. Pretty important breakthrough for organ transplants. Nice work! PDF sure needs more such threads!

Last edited:
Are you interested in these things or am I boring you already?!

No, no and engaging discussion is never boring to me, but my interest lies more in the physicality aspects of transhumanism and less so in the economics, though they are equally important to ensure the spirit of transhumanism, the trickling down of the technologies, reaches all peoples.

Cyberware is my current area of focus as a researcher for US military. I've been involved in neural implant research as well, though I didn't have anything to do with this project:

neural_implants_htm_m43ae769f.png

PDF sure needs more such threads!

Definitely, beyond you and myself there are a few other members who like to engage in such topics @Akheilos being one of the more prominent. Still, it seems science and tech, apart from defense ironically, are the least discussed topics here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom