What's new

Replacing Pakistan Navy's Westland Sea King helicopters.

PN Sea Kings, still have their airframe life left.
All other things are periodically replaced.

Merlin's are expensive to buy and maintain.....I don't think PN would go for them.
NH-90 is another option, which was looked into.
Sea Hawks are also an option.
Chinese Z-18 can also be considered....

Replacement of Sea Kings is still not a priority.

NH-90
NH90_ItalianMarine_1579_YSSY_240110.jpg

Sea Hawk
SH-60_Seahawk.jpg

Z-18
1568260_-_main.jpg

dont see much happening in this area. all the 6 Seakings are getting a avionics and sub-systems upgrade/overhaul which will help this type to soldier on for another 3-5 years.

Pakistan Navy bought Westland Sea King helicopters in mid 70s for ASW and SAR roles. These helis are getting close to their retirement age. Discuss in this thread the potential candidates for replacing these old workhorses.

View attachment 147250

@Rashid Mahmood @Neptune @Penguin @SvenSvensonov and others.
I don't see any immediate need for replacement of these choppers. I know they are old but there have been reported up gradations going on.
Further more, PN is looking to retire Type 21 frigates and priority will be to get new ships first. Here, China will be the most likely option and if so then the choppers will also most probably be new Chinese ones. It is not the Sea Kings that need immediate replacement but the ships they are being operated from and once that is done surely there will be new helicopters to fly for these ships.
The only other option is that we go with Turkey for some future surface vessels like TF2000 (highly unlikely given the costs and our budget) and in that case only we may be discussing the replacement of Sea Kings with some other western platform to operate from these new ships.

There is a thread regarding TAI & US Sikorski production line to be setup in which there was a possible future sales of Heli's for Pakistan but it did say that they would require approval.

Search T-70 at forum. A total of 700 Blackhawks with Turkish avionics and systems are planned. The contracts are already signed. @Horus I'll write an analyse myself regarding your topic. Gimme some time

Genesis upgraded OHPs with T-70?

i am failed to understand what is so special for replace just 6 choppers ? its a big deal ?:o::o::o::o: can buy best cheppers in 300mn$ :frown:

Pakistan Navy bought Westland Sea King helicopters in mid 70s for ASW and SAR roles. These helis are getting close to their retirement age. Discuss in this thread the potential candidates for replacing these old workhorses.

View attachment 147250

@Rashid Mahmood @Neptune @Penguin @SvenSvensonov and others.
I didn't realise the PN only had 6 Sea Kings, for such a small number the PN can look at the top-end- NH-90 or MH-60R/S-70B.

Perhaps a FMS sale of the MH-60R could be arranged? When this will happen is open to speculation as it seems the PN receives almost no attention and the majority of the military aid from the US is spent on the PAF/PA.

UK plans to replace Sea Kings with Merlins. Merlin Unit cost in 2009 dollars was $21-million, probably closer to $30-million now.

If we would like to replace PN Sea Kings, new helicopter should be able to perform Search & Rescue as well as act as ASW platform, thus we would need a big helicopter and costs would be similar. This means roughly $200-million for 6 units.
A cheaper alternative would be to buy second hand Sea Kings or Sikorsky S-61 (US designation of Sea King) and have these totally refurbished. We could probably get away with half the price. PN' existing Sea Kings can then be cannibalised and used for spares This would also save time and effort on retraining the support & logistics for the new helicopters.Refurbished helicopters should be good another 10-15 years.

After all we Navy is still acquiring refurbished Alouette III’s, why not refurbished Sea Kings. Doubt that Z-9 can do all what Sea kings are capable of. Besides Z-9 is really the Chinese version of French Dauphin, thus based on an old design.
The Merlin (EH-101) is probably too large for most PN ships being around 12 tonnes and with its 3 engines would be more complex and expensive to maintain than the slightly smaller NH-90/MH-60R.

Back
Top Bottom