What's new

Replacement for Retired/Old PAF Jets | Food for Thought

PAF inventory in the near term
100 F16s
150 JF17s
40 Mirage Rose
50 F7PG

That is what we have on order till 2019 at the moment. Seems pretty decent for defending since bulk of the fleet will be data linked. Thunder's would have reached 4.5gen in Block-3 variant.
I expect F-16 MLU numbers to go up to replace Mirage ROSEs from strike duty and probably around 2019-21 PAF will be signing up for JF-31s to replace F-7PGs in interceptor/air superiority role.

For retired jets Mirages will likely be used for spares to keep the ROSE aircraft flying. F-7Ps will be in reserve storage for war time. Would hope PAF evaluate option to convert old jets as SAM decoys or cruise missiles like China has done.

reality is india wont be using more than 50% of its jets against PAF. It has to keep eye on chinese side of border in case of any war. So Pakistan already has more than enough size to tackle Indian offense

Mate...
Fifth Gen will cost not you less than 200M dollar a plane (including training and MRO).. Your own calculations said F16 as 100M dollar each. To buy 100 planes, u need need 20billion dollar.
With PAF budget of 2 billion, its budget for capex may not be more than 500-750M, with acquistion of JF17 in process, PAF hardly have budget to acquire any fifth Gen unless provided as aid. U need at least four planes/year to have effective acquisition. Possibility of buying 36 planes (2 sqn) is a better option and is possible, if budget improves.
You are right but I am pointing to the fact that if we make something locally or as partner we will see price go down significantly ,like in the case of JF17 (Starting price for 17 Mil) and it evolves to some where 40 Mil US$ with block 3 where as same capability Gripen or F16 cost 2 times so my assumptions are based on this fact .Secondly Indian buying and Pak buyings are very different as there are always some sort of kick backs but in Pak there is not too many people involved so end product always seems to be less/unit as compared to Indians .

It's important to keep in mind that PAC will be producing JF-17s for a very long time. So while the current roadmap has 150 fighters in the pipeline, expect the PAF to acquire a lot more JF-17s over the lifespan of the program.
Frankly i think it will be a bad idea as in product life cycle JF17 is already in a decline generation we shouldn't be targeting more than 150 max 175 as era of 4++ Gen is almost over and its time to move on.We know knew how to build a platform try to take this lesson to next class and probably generation .Its like im good in GRade 2 so i will stay ,tech is not stopping so we should not be

PAF has to replace more than 300 jets in the near future for which JF-17 Thunders are being inducted. Other options are both from Asia & West. EF-2000, F-16V, Su-35 & J-11 are some options which need proper govt funding & diplomatic efforts to procure them for PAF. This article is a 'FOOD FOR THOUGHT' for PDF members to come & discuss it with their worthy opinions & analysis.

THREAD opened! now please give your opinions.

If there is such a gap shouldn't the production rate for JF-17 go up?

8 F-16 we are getting is Block 52+ so means US is not ready to give F-16 V :P although F-16 V is F-16 Block 52+ with Radar AESA

Just a thought :D :D

Isn't the price of F-16 V outrageous? I heard it's north of $100 million a piece.

Frankly i think it will be a bad idea as in product life cycle JF17 is already in a decline generation we shouldn't be targeting more than 150 max 175 as era of 4++ Gen is almost over and its time to move on.We know knew how to build a platform try to take this lesson to next class and probably generation .Its like im good in GRade 2 so i will stay ,tech is not stopping so we should not be

JF-17 will continue to evolve and there will likely be Block-4,5+ after the initial 150 jets. PAF order could go upto 200-250 and with expected life of 30yrs I suppose earliest builds will be phased out with new ones. Export orders are a separate deal, probably 100 maybe.

There will be another JF program after the JF-17 for PAC Kamra , there is no doubt in this. Just need to wait and see. There is high likely hood that Pakistan will invest in the J-31/JF-31 project around 2019.

Working hard on our indigenous JF-17 could be the best option.
Induction of more JFTs and production of JFT block-3 must be the priority to fill the vacancy.
Moreover, we should be thinking about the SU-35 deal. Since IAF is continuously working on its air defense capabilities we should take the matter seriously before its too late.
Btw can anyone tell whats the status of the SU-35 deal??

reality is india wont be using more than 50% of its jets against PAF. It has to keep eye on chinese side of border in case of any war. So Pakistan already has more than enough size to tackle Indian offense
Make that 30 percent bcuz fighters will be undergoing maintainance as well

The foremost thing PAF should do is to increase production of JF 17s to 50 units per year. The timeline should be that PAF should have additional 100 JF 17s by the mid of 2018 which means PAF should have 220 JF 17s if they PAF go by this strategy. Add to it 86 F 16s, we will have a force of 300 plus fighters.

THEN, we can retire 250 to 300 Mirages and F-7s which we have. As a member above pointed out, we can hand over some jets to our engineering universities and PAC, Kamra for research. There is a possibility of selling 200 to 250 of these planes to third world countries. The amount received from selling these jets may be to the tune of 1.5 to 2 billion dollars. Add another 1.5 to 2 billion dollars i.e. around 4 billion dollars and from this amount we can have 100 J 10s at a cost of 40 million dollars a piece or we can have 60 odd i.e. around 4 squadrons of J 11s or J 16s.

Would hope PAF evaluate option to convert old jets as SAM decoys or cruise missiles like China has done.
besides these, can we build some aiding pods, ECM kits and RADARS and use these air craft for surveillance, reconnaissance, etc. ?

Back
Top Bottom