What's new

Renewable Energy in Turkey

I worked for many years in the PV solar panel and wind energy industry. and as you said, there is no political environment at all. stop crying now. Everbody earn money when they do their business honestly from every political past unlike before Erdogan's Turkey.
Come on dude, you know renewable energy sector is free for all. However you can't say the same for coal, natural gas plants.

The point is that if politicians make a law making it possible for private investors to contribute and potentially end up with zero sum. The market will automatically grow exponentially.

Passing a law thst requires all new constructions to have a roof that has to maximize solar cell power output would force everyone to plant pv. Abd they would have to be durable and decent made.
I know wind enegy sector, works like that.

I hope you follow davutoglu and pay attention to what he says about the tender processes. He's pretty much talking about how corrupt it is and he was the last pm who tried to make it more fair and decent. Which I believe.
Man Davidson is fu.. loser saying baseless manything. it is up to ones believe that SH.ts.

Turkey’s 1st integrated solar panel manufacturing facility opens next month
BY DAILY SABAH WITH AA
ISTANBUL ENERGY
JUL 02, 2020 2:52 PM GMT+3

Turkey’s first integrated solar panel manufacturing facility in Ankara, June 2, 2020. (AA Photo)

Turkey’s first integrated solar panel manufacturing facility is scheduled to come into operation next month in the Ankara industrial zone.

According to a statement by Kalyon Group, the investor of the project, the facility has a significant place in Turkey's national energy policy.

"This facility will produce the 1,000-megawatt (MW) panels for the Karapınar solar power plant. The plant will be built using 70% locally sourced components. When Karapınar plant is operational, the share of solar energy in Turkey’s electricity production will increase by 20%. With the manufacture of solar panels in this facility and the electricity production in the Karapınar plant, Turkey’s annual deficit will decrease $400 million (TL 2.7 billion),” said Cemal Kalyoncu, Kalyon Holding’s board chairman.

Kalyoncu added that the group will establish a research and development center in the integrated solar panel manufacturing facility. Around 100 engineers will be employed in the center, he noted, which will "play an important role in Turkey’s national technology production."

The facility will be inaugurated in August. It will be the first integrated solar panel manufacturing facility in Europe and the Middle East with an annual solar panel production capacity of 500 megawatts. Kalyon Group plans to employ 1,400 in the facility.

Kalyoncu also said that 1.5 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions will be prevented every year with the Karapınar solar power plant. The group plans to invest approximately $1 billion in the plant.

Turkey's renewable energy capacity has registered a remarkable surge over the last decade, with a steady increase of 11% per year amid a 7% annual capacity rise in other fuels for power generation, according to statistics from February 2020.

Also, since the opening of the rooftop solar market in Turkey in 2019, the number of applications reached more than 2,000 with an installed capacity of more than 750 megawatts.

because that particular contract had the condition of setting up the production and some development and hiring 70% Turkish staff, while the others can just cheaply import from China and thus offer cheaper electricity. Thats my theory, but I'm not sure.

because that particular contract had the condition of setting up the production and some development and hiring 70% Turkish staff, while the others can just cheaply import from China and thus offer cheaper electricity. Thats my theory, but I'm not sure.
I thought that too, but why only 70%. As if that’s some kind of magic number.

I thought that too, but why only 70%. As if that’s some kind of magic number.
Have you ever seen Chinese projects abroad? They even bring their own cleaning personnel from China to African projects. Also if I were to open a JV, I would insist on bringing some of my experts too, they will train the new guys and set up the plant and logistics. You can't start with 100% local, when the locals don't know the technology, company. I think it's a fair deal and that investment will do a lot of good in the long run. They might as well export to Europe too once they are at full capacity.

Have you ever seen Chinese projects abroad? They even bring their own cleaning personnel from China to African projects. Also if I were to open a JV, I would insist on bringing some of my experts too, they will train the new guys and set up the plant and logistics. You can't start with 100% local, when the locals don't know the technology, company. I think it's a fair deal and that investment will do a lot of good in the long run. They might as well export to Europe too once they are at full capacity.
Or use that know how and our production facilities to improve trade with Africa. But I get your point.

Crunch time is fast approaching for Turkey as it decides whether to extend long-term gas import contracts. Deals for around 18 billion cubic meters per year (1.7 billion cubic feet per day) are due to expire by the end of 2021, including piped volumes from Russia and Azerbaijan, and LNG from Qatar and Nigeria. Turkish companies believe that access to spot LNG imports will give them more leverage in negotiations. LNG imports topped piped flows for the first time in March, and Turkey became the fifth-largest importer of US cargoes in the first half of 2020. The outcome of these talks could set the tone for a second wave of contract expiries starting in 2024. Totaling 30 Bcm/yr, these include an Algerian LNG deal, Russian piped gas through Blue Stream, and Iranian gas.

Turkish gas consumption totaled 45.3 Bcm last year, all but a fraction met by imports. Talks are currently stalled with Russia's Gazprom, traditionally the top supplier, over deals for 8 Bcm/yr, half with state-owned Botas and half with private importers. Turkish buyers want similar terms to their European neighbors, but Gazprom hasn’t budged, even though its Turkish sales crashed 30% year-on-year in the first four months of 2020 as the US made inroads (WGI Jun.10'20). “Turkey is asking for more flexible, shorter-term contracts and Gazprom is trying to push old historical contracts with 10-20 years and rigid conditions. This is a major dealbreaker,” a Turkish market player says. Sources don’t expect a breakthrough until the last minute. Gazprom hopes offtake will recover to 2019 levels as Botas imports more to meet take-or-pay obligations, Gazprom Export head Andrei Zotov said recently. Botas reportedly owes around $600 million.

The situation is more complex with private importers. Gazprom is seeking retroactive payment to cover a 10.25% discount on the import price applied in 2017 and 2018 after winning an arbitration case in 2019 against Akfel Gaz, Enerco Enerji, Avrasya Gaz, Kibar Enerji and Bati Hatti Dogalgaz. The companies say the contract formula does not reflect current market conditions. Private importers, which also include Bosphorus Gaz and Shell Enerji, have at the same time been offtaking minimal Russian volumes since last year, saying they cannot sell the gas domestically as the Russian price is higher than the Botas-set tariff for power generators and industry. Some put the take-or-pay bill at $2 billion. This needs to be resolved before renegotiations progress. Russian prices are expected to fall in the second half reflecting lower oil prices, which could allow some deliveries to resume. But the situation is “not sustainable or reliable” as it depends on Botas tariffs, Emre Erturk from Istanbul-based consultancy EnerjiIQ tells Energy Intelligence. “It is the perfect definition of chaos. The Russians are behaving irrationally, and they are losing the market [to the US],” the market player says.

http://www.energyintel.com/pages/eig_article.aspx?DocId=1079552

Crunch time is fast approaching for Turkey as it decides whether to extend long-term gas import contracts. Deals for around 18 billion cubic meters per year (1.7 billion cubic feet per day) are due to expire by the end of 2021, including piped volumes from Russia and Azerbaijan, and LNG from Qatar and Nigeria. Turkish companies believe that access to spot LNG imports will give them more leverage in negotiations. LNG imports topped piped flows for the first time in March, and Turkey became the fifth-largest importer of US cargoes in the first half of 2020. The outcome of these talks could set the tone for a second wave of contract expiries starting in 2024. Totaling 30 Bcm/yr, these include an Algerian LNG deal, Russian piped gas through Blue Stream, and Iranian gas.

Turkish gas consumption totaled 45.3 Bcm last year, all but a fraction met by imports. Talks are currently stalled with Russia's Gazprom, traditionally the top supplier, over deals for 8 Bcm/yr, half with state-owned Botas and half with private importers. Turkish buyers want similar terms to their European neighbors, but Gazprom hasn’t budged, even though its Turkish sales crashed 30% year-on-year in the first four months of 2020 as the US made inroads (WGI Jun.10'20). “Turkey is asking for more flexible, shorter-term contracts and Gazprom is trying to push old historical contracts with 10-20 years and rigid conditions. This is a major dealbreaker,” a Turkish market player says. Sources don’t expect a breakthrough until the last minute. Gazprom hopes offtake will recover to 2019 levels as Botas imports more to meet take-or-pay obligations, Gazprom Export head Andrei Zotov said recently. Botas reportedly owes around $600 million.

The situation is more complex with private importers. Gazprom is seeking retroactive payment to cover a 10.25% discount on the import price applied in 2017 and 2018 after winning an arbitration case in 2019 against Akfel Gaz, Enerco Enerji, Avrasya Gaz, Kibar Enerji and Bati Hatti Dogalgaz. The companies say the contract formula does not reflect current market conditions. Private importers, which also include Bosphorus Gaz and Shell Enerji, have at the same time been offtaking minimal Russian volumes since last year, saying they cannot sell the gas domestically as the Russian price is higher than the Botas-set tariff for power generators and industry. Some put the take-or-pay bill at $2 billion. This needs to be resolved before renegotiations progress. Russian prices are expected to fall in the second half reflecting lower oil prices, which could allow some deliveries to resume. But the situation is “not sustainable or reliable” as it depends on Botas tariffs, Emre Erturk from Istanbul-based consultancy EnerjiIQ tells Energy Intelligence. “It is the perfect definition of chaos. The Russians are behaving irrationally, and they are losing the market [to the US],” the market player says.

http://www.energyintel.com/pages/eig_article.aspx?DocId=1079552

I don't think it's smart to lock prices with Russia, but I imagine AKP and RTE will condemn Turkey to locked contracts in exchange for small gains on the frontlines.

Back
Top Bottom