What's new

Recent Earthquakes Near Bangladesh.

Major d1

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
6.8 magnitude quake shakes Dhaka, other parts of Bangladesh.

06_Earth+Quake_AP_240816_001.jpg

The 6.8-magnitude tremor, with its epicentre in central Myanmar's Chauk, was felt in Bangladesh around 4:34pm on Wednesday.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the earthquake struck 143 km (88 miles) west of the city of Meiktila at a depth of 84 km (52 miles), reported Reuters.

There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage on both Myanmar and Bangladesh.

The quake shook up buildings in Myanmar's biggest city of Yangon and in other towns and cities, witnesses said.

Office buildings in the Thai capital of Bangkok, to the east of Myanmar, shook for a few seconds, residents there said.

Dhaka University Earth Observatory Curator Prof Syed Humayun Akhter told bdnews24.com that the earthquake's epicentre was in Chauk, some 500 kilometres from Dhaka, at a depth of 84 kilometres.

Citizens in Dhaka were seen rushing out of buildings and to open spaces as the quake struck.

bdnews24.com correspondents reported that the tremor was also felt in Rajshahi and Rangpur divisions.

S far as i concern , still now no causality happened.

S far as i concern , still now no causality happened.

I hope there were no casualties in Bagan either (where the earthquake struck), maybe @Aung Zaya can confirm.....

84 KM deep (50 miles) is still pretty shallow and can have major damage as a consequence. How deep or shallow is more critical than the magnitude.

The one in Italy (Amatrice) was only 10 miles deep (of a similar magnitude) and leveled the whole town....

I hope there were no casualties in Bagan either (where the earthquake struck), maybe @Aung Zaya can confirm.....

84 KM deep (50 miles) is still pretty shallow and can have major damage as a consequence. How deep or shallow is more critical than the magnitude.

The one in Italy (Amatrice) was only 10 miles deep (of a similar magnitude) and leveled the whole town....

One person died in Bagan from a building collapsing. RIP....lots of the temples have been damaged too.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37172794

affected 3 regions of Central Myanmar..
In Bagan , 136 pagodas including 3 famous ones have been damaged so far.. fortunately , all of these one can be repaired in traditional ways with the aid from UN.. and no dead , no injury... now technicians finding the errors of remaining pagodas.. repairing and maintaining work will start soon...

and other regions , at least 5 Buildings have been destroyed and 2 dead , 2 injury...

1472056384986.jpg

BN-PN725_2myqua_M_20160824092249.jpg

BN-PN760_MYQUAK_M_20160824110456.jpg

affected 3 regions of Central Myanmar..
In Bagan , 136 pagodas including 3 famous ones have been damaged so far.. fortunately , all of these one can be repaired in traditional ways with the aid from UN.. and no dead , no injury... now technicians finding the errors of remaining pagodas..

and other regions , at least 5 Buildings have been destroyed and 2 dead , 2 injury...

View attachment 328644

View attachment 328645
View attachment 328646
glad that no huge casualty

I hope they can repair the damaged Pagodas back to original design. These 10th century structures are too important to be allowed to be destroyed....
thz bro... we will try to regain to the original state... UNESCO promised us to assist in repairing of thousand years-old structures... Gemany , Japan and Myanmar have been teamed up 3 years ago to maintain these pagodas... So we will start the reinforcing and repairing work as soon as possible we can.. probably before next one shaken... :D

Back
Top Bottom