What's new

reasons and background for Jinnah's fourteen points

chharoonahmad

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hi

I want to understand the reasons and background for the points. Would you please help me?

1: Having a 'federal' constitution with little powers vested in the provinces was to the benefit of Muslims and other minorities because this way in Hindu majority areas the individual provinces won't have enough power to make laws which can affect minorities badly provided the federal level government has participation from all the minority groups. In other words it was a form of a system of "checks and balances".

3: What does it mean where it says: The majorities should not be reduced to minorities? How can majority be reduced to minority? Perhaps it could be achieved by dividing a province in a certain way. Didn't the British do this with Bengal when they divided it in 1905 which resulted in making the East Bengal a Muslim majority area and Hindu minority area.

5: "...provided that it shall be open to any community, at any time to abandon its separate electorate in form of joint electorates." Separate electorates meant that Muslims could only vote a Muslim candidate and the same went for other minority groups. I think joint electorates meant that even if you are a Muslim you could vote for a Hindu candidate.

6: Were Muslims a minority group in N.W.F.P, Bengal and Punjab? I don't think so.

8: How would it benefit Muslims if Sindh were separated from Bombay Presidency?

10: What does the phrase "involved community" mean in this context?

14: What does the part "except with the concurrence of the states consisting of the Indian federation" mean?

By the way, what was so bad in these 14 points in your view that it was outrightly rejected by the British government.

Please keep your replies to the point and please don't start indulging yourself in non-linear topics, or, Muslims Vs. Hindu topic. Thank you.

1: The form of future constitution should be federal with residuary powers vested in the provinces.

2: All the provinces should be given equal independence.

3: The representation of each party should be accordingly proportioned with its population. The majorities should not be reduced to minorities.

4: Muslims should not have less then 1/3 representation in Central Government.

5: The representation of communal groups should continue to be by means of separate electorates provided that it shall be open to any community, at any time to abandon its separate electorate in form of joint electorates.

6: Any territorial re-adjustment that might at any time be necessary shall not in any way affect the Muslim minority in Punjab, Bengal and
N.W.F.P.

7: Full religious liberty, that is liberty of belief, worship and observance, association and education, shall be guaranteed to all communities.

8: Sindh should be separated from Bombay presidency.

9: Reforms should be introduced in Baluchistan and N.W.F.P. on the same footing as in the other provinces.

10: Any law with the opposition of 3/4 of the members of the involved community will not be passed.

11: No cabinet, either central or provincial should be formed, without at least 1/3 Muslim ministers.

12: The constitution should ensure safeguard of Muslim culture and promotion of Muslim education, language, religion and civilization.

13: Muslims should be given adequate share along with other Indians in the service of the state.

14: No change shall be made in the constitution by the central legislature except with the concurrence of the states consisting of the Indian federation.

Is this so tough? I didn't expect there would be no one to answer these queries on the fourteen which they make every student rote well in every Pakistani school.

I remember memorizing these painful 14 pointers in the Pakistan Studies in books and to be honest I had a hard time with these

May be that is why our people also have a had point in remembering these 14 points

So I propose AzadPakistan2009 - 10 points

1- All politicians will declare their income and assets and pay taxes
not paying taxes will be made a criminal offence 6month-2 years prison based on
amount stolen
2- All property will be taxed !!! ALL I MEAN ALL will be taxed
3- There will be 10 provinces in country with equal number of seats
4- There will be unified language English , and Urdu as Official Language
5- Interprovincial weddings will be barred and cross provincial weddings will be encouraged
6- No political party will be allowed to operate unless it has a branch in all provinces of Pakistan with registered users as members.
7- All provinces will be Energy Independent states by 2018 running on Solar energy
8- Water will be available in abundance , due to dam creation , and Water Desalination
9 - Education will be made mandatory for all children
10 - Afghanistan will be integrated into Pakistan As soon as possible to shut down the door on terror and drugs

And I will also propose -

a) Setting up of world grand Libraries in Pakistan on Education
b) Astronomical observatory in Pakistan
c) Mandating 1 child rule for next 10 years in Pakistan

Back
Top Bottom