What's new

Reaction to Contact: Ambush Scenario

Metal 0-1

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I stole this idea and media from somewhere else so.

It's a brainstorm session, I encourage civilians(especially) and military members to take a swing at this scenario.

NO answer is wrong answer. It's just test of your tactical knowledge. Don't poke at each others and don't make fun too. It's a learning session not a d**k measuring contest

Ambushes are likely scenarios that we train very little for. The best decision is the quick decision that gets the least amount of people hurt.
IMG_20221002_003207.jpg

Reposta_306952754_499976078165398_5480920976564442237_njpg.jpg
Reposta_306801031_647059416701457_4460306778845451704_njpg.jpg

Reposta_307191798_873129533655503_3490659889269137908_njpg.jpg
IMG_20221002_003222.jpg

Remember make decisions.

Here's my immediate answer what could I think on top of my head

1. Dismount all the men from the East side of vehicles.

2. Radio to check on status on vehicle 1 and 4. As we established men in vehicle 4 are in fight now I need to physically send a 2 man element to vehicle 1.

3. Under the cover of fire and ofcourse they will conceal the vehicle 1 with smoke. Those two man will push up and check on those men. They will radio back, number of casualties and priority of medical aid.

4. We cannot break contact and bound back to East because we cannot carry casualties and can't treat them under fire.

5. No medical aid unless we establish Fire Superiority.

6. I made decision to turn and burn and destroy the ambush.

7. We'll establish a base of fire and under the concealment of smoke grenades a Squad will Flank them from South.

8. When the first squad is set 2nd squad will bound and flank them from North.

9. Now it's third Squad turn. They will move move up west while other squads are providing cover.

10. Throw everything we have at them.

11. Mind you I have 2 man security with first vehicle.

After establishing a fire superiority.

We will set security concerning all avenues of approach.

Now we can treat casualties and make a plan to extract them

In theory this will work fine lol.

That's all this is a theory. Good though process.

I'll share more comprehensive answer with y'all later on.

Last edited:
Let me put the Turkish projected way to push forth such a column to ensure it's ambush-free:
  • Highly mine-resistant and armed-to-the-teeth MRAPs with EW capabilities to jam IEDs and small enemy drones.
  • Active and passive protection to hard and soft kill, respectively, vis-a-vis rockets, anti-armored missiles etc.
  • MRAP borne resident armed micro drones, moving along with the column while being equipped with high resolution image processing and AI based decision making for near distance surveillance and identification of threats and their immediate elimination with mortar shell sized ammunitions. Moreover, the threat location can be communicated to the gunners in the MRAPs and pointed out to direct the laser guided rockets toward them. Furthermore, portable loitering munitions can be deployed to eliminate the enemies within a 5km range.
  • Such columns are usually under the surveillance of the constantly flying TB2 type MALEs who can shortly get to the ambush scene to actively participate in the hunt. Live feeds are available to the operators in the column.
  • Lastly, call the combat choppers if it's too much.

*All the above have been implemented in verbatim by the Turkish military industrial complexes using the indigenous and national technologies in tandem with the professional forces . It's all possible for the Turkish nation took out the military and civil traitors under the Imperialists during July, 2016 coup. Top traitor generals were shot at the point blank range by the patriotic NCOs.

Last edited:
There is no point in a discussion when you have given the text book answer yourself, I would change a few things though, my first priority would be the counter ambush itself and not checking the status of vehicle which would endanger more men. Secondly I would incorporate the technicals in the fire plan given that they by definition have a higher calibre mounted on them. The enemy is also very likely to flee as soon as own fire superiority is established so depending on whether terrains permits cut them off with the technicals, the aim not being to get each and everyone of them but to send a message that my convoys are not to be fucked with and they can and will fight back.

Let me put the Turkish projected way to push forth such a column to ensure it's ambush-free:
  • Highly mine-resistant and armed-to-the-teeth MRAPs with EW capabilities to jam IEDs and small enemy drones.
  • Active and passive protection to hard and soft kill, respectively, vis-a-vis rockets, anti-armored missiles etc.
  • MRAP borne resident armed micro drones, moving along with the column while being equipped with high resolution image processing and AI based decision making for near distance surveillance and identification of threats and their immediate elimination with mortar shell sized ammunitions. Moreover, the threat location can be communicated to the gunners in the MRAPs and pointed out to direct the laser guided rockets toward them. Furthermore, portable loitering munitions can be deployed to eliminate the enemies within a 5km range.
  • Such columns are usually under the surveillance of the constantly flying TB2 type MALEs who can shortly get to the ambush scene to actively participate in the hunt. Live feeds are available to the operators in the column.
  • Lastly, call the combat choppers if it's too much.

*All the above have been implemented in verbatim by the Turkish military industrial complexes using the indigenous and national technologies in tandem with the professional forces . It's all possible for the Turkish nation took out the military and civil traitors under the Imperialists during July, 2016 coup. Top traitor generals were shot at the point blank range by the patriotic NCOs.
Try to stay in the realm of scenario.

Try to stay in the realm of scenario.
Thanks to the Turkish engineers, no such scenario would occur at the first place for before the first soldier puts foot on the ground most of the enemies are all already dead.....

That's a textbook ambush, which was used in most armed conflict, in fact, I myself have run into one of these IED strike when I was in Afghanistan, we are on 6 Humvee Convoy. and instead of 2 IEDs, it's 1 IED and a dude with RPG.

What you need to do, as always, is to remember the 3 golden rules of react to ambush.

1.) Get out of the killzone
2.) GET OUT of the killzone
3.) GET OUT OF THE KILLZONE!!.

If that is an ambush, which mean there are no way you will know what's waiting on you ahead or around. Which mean at that moment, you are at tactical disadvantage the moment you walk into the killzone. Which mean there are minimal chance you will be able to turn this around. Which mean your best bet is "Run"

Mobility is your best weapon in this case, if you stop and get off your vehicle, you are as good as dead. You step on the gas, punch thru, afterward you can regroup and try to sweep back and help your people get out of the kill zone, but at that moment, you don't stop for shit.

It's a brainstorm session, I encourage civilians(especially) and military members to take a swing at this scenario.

NO answer is wrong answer. It's just test of your tactical knowledge. Don't poke at each others and don't make fun too. It's a learning session not a d**k measuring contest

Ambushes are likely scenarios that we train very little for. The best decision is the quick decision that gets the least amount of people hurt.
View attachment 884006
View attachment 884001View attachment 884002
View attachment 884003View attachment 884005

Remember make decisions.

2. Radio to check on status on vehicle 1 and 4. As we established men in vehicle 4 are in fight now I need to physically send a 2 man element to vehicle 1.

3. Under the cover of fire and ofcourse they will conceal the vehicle 1 with smoke. Those two man will push up and check on those men. They will radio back, number of casualties and priority of medical aid.

4. We cannot break contact and bound back to East because we cannot carry casualties and can't treat them under fire.

7. We'll establish a base of fire and under the concealment of smoke grenades a Squad will Flank them from South.

9. Now it's third Squad turn. They will move move up west while other squads are providing cover.

That's a textbook ambush, which was used in most armed conflict, in fact, I myself have run into one of these IED strike when I was in Afghanistan, we are on 6 Humvee Convoy. and instead of 2 IEDs, it's 1 IED and a dude with RPG.

What you need to do, as always, is to remember the 3 golden rules of react to ambush.

1.) Get out of the killzone
2.) GET OUT of the killzone
3.) GET OUT OF THE KILLZONE!!.

If that is an ambush, which mean there are no way you will know what's waiting on you ahead or around. Which mean at that moment, you are at tactical disadvantage the moment you walk into the killzone. Which mean there are minimal chance you will be able to turn this around. Which mean your best bet is "Run"

Mobility is your best weapon in this case, if you stop and get off your vehicle, you are as good as dead. You step on the gas, punch thru, afterward you can regroup and try to sweep back and help your people get out of the kill zone, but at that moment, you don't stop for shit.
Look Chief that's like a situation in which your vehicles aren't disabled and you just punch out.

I think you didn't read the whole thing.

1st and Last vehicle are hit and rendered disabled.

1st Vehicle Men are out of fight. We don't have know their status they aren't responding to radio.

I am not leaving my men behind. If I just punch out it's just vehicle 2 and 3. Those remaining men are left for dead.
(Not a Good call, I just contradicted myself)

Even if we decide to pick up the casualties and remaining men from vehicle 4. We got no space and we are dismounting.

The best course of action will be establish a base of fire.

Bound squads and flank then from South.
Destroy the ambush

Last edited:
---------------------------------------------------------

@jhungary You know you're right. I am kinda dumb.

I took to much emphasis on casualties.

But I'll add this, as vehicles are disabled we'll be peel back to the south Out of the Killzone.

Make a casualty collection point.(maybe)

Maybe gain fire Superiority bound towards west and Assualt that ambush.

Here is your course of action and other possible solution visualised

IMG_20221002_194632.jpg
IMG_20221002_194644.jpg

View attachment 884006
View attachment 884001View attachment 884002
View attachment 884003View attachment 884005

Remember make decisions.

Hi,

Any nation's military that had fought insurgency has trained extremely extremely hard for reacting against any ambush.

This is the first step of training to countermand ambush in jungle warfare---urban warfare---mountain warfare---.

Hi,

Any nation's military that had fought insurgency has trained extremely extremely hard for reacting against any ambush.

This is the first step of training to countermand ambush in jungle warfare---urban warfare---mountain warfare---.
Okay and

Look Chief that's like a situation in which your vehicles aren't disabled and you just punch out.

I think you didn't read the whole thing.

1st and Last vehicle are hit and rendered disabled.

1st Vehicle Men are out of fight. We don't have know their status they aren't responding to radio.

I am not leaving my men behind. If I just punch out it's just vehicle 2 and 3. Those remaining men are left for dead.
(Not a Good call, I just contradicted myself)

Even if we decide to pick up the casualties and remaining men from vehicle 4. We got no space and we are dismounting.

The best course of action will be establish a base of fire.

Bound squads and flank then from South.
Destroy the ambush
So I am in Vehicle 1 or 4? If so what you need is to put 2 and 3 on either side of the disable vehicle and pick up the passengers

Base of fire wouldn't last long if you are 16 guys vs 180 even if you have both cover and concealment, I am assuming the ambush would be competent and have both MG (PRK/PKM) covering the flank and maybe RPG or Recoilless covering the front, also, in reality, if they have time to put IED and ambush you, they will have time to put Anti-Personnel around to trap you, and all that while you have small arms only, you don't even have MG to lay down continuous Base of Fire. You can try to prioritize your target if you are on foot but you probably have a very short window, most likely before your first reload, before you get overwhelmed.

You are talking about 10 to 1 advantage in a close or near close ambush. I will say any kind of sustained fighting is going to get you killed, maybe you will take a few of them with you and get a medal of honor or something posthumously, but I am pretty certain if you are in this scenario, you will get kill. So if this was me, and I am in this jam, I will still trying to make a run for it.

---------------------------------------------------------

@jhungary You know you're right. I am kinda dumb.

I took to much emphasis on casualties.

But I'll add this, as vehicles are disabled we'll be peel back to the south Out of the Killzone.

Make a casualty collection point.(maybe)

Maybe gain fire Superiority bound towards west and Assualt that ambush.

Here is your course of action and other possible solution visualised

View attachment 884184View attachment 884185
Well, I don't know if I am right, as I said, I am just saying this is what I would do, I don't get all the answer, yes, I am trained for it. but you can never train for all type of situation. I am just lucky I lasted long enough to make it home. As you said, there are no right or wrong answer, it just how people do thing do differently.

As my first post mentioned, it's quite impossible to have Fire Superiority when you are out number 10 to 1. That's assuming both side only have Small Arms. I will say you will have 1 to 2 minutes if you are lucky, if not, you are going to get hit by RPG or UGL if you stay static for too long (If they have them). Staying and fight is probably my last option. I would try to leg it out of the Killzone before I stay and fight if my vehicle is destroyed. I think I have more odds to survive when I do that.

best way to avoid a ambush is to not get into one in the first place

in Iraq the Americans used very heavy surveillance, intelligence gathering, eavesdropping on communications, internet chatter monitoring, code breaking, electronic jamming and a wide range of human intelligence gathering to monitor where the likely hood of a ambush is

this way they would plan the route with the intelligence in mind and take the one which was least threat level

once in a ambush the 50 cal on the turret on the Humvees would just "spray and pray" 360 degrees killing even civilians, its called suppressing fire and full throttle out of the danger zone

unfortunately Russia has ZERO emphasis on such route planning and roll right into ambushes and try and fight their way out

Israelis also copy the Americans

I think it comes down Americans and Israelis valuing the life of their soldiers whereas Russia has ZERO regard for its fighting men

If they are 180 then they will be really dumb to just be in one place. Most probably they will be on 3 sides. There was this ambush by taliban is a valley in similar fashion, they fired from north and west, southwest. The taliban had a team on east as well but they didn't fire and wait to make the enemy think the eastern side is clear. They opened fire when they moved east and caused alot of casualties.
I would say the only way out in an ambush is to run back, keep moving and get out of the trap.

Back
Top Bottom