What's new

Rare Pics: APJ Abdul Kalam in Indian Navy's Kilo class submarine - 2006

Screaming Skull

Reaction score
Courtesy: Indian Navy

INS Sindhurakshak S63 sailed with the President of India, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, for a day at sea on 13 February 2006. The day was to showcase to the President, the intricacies of submarine operations. It is for the first time that an Indian President was sailing on board a submarine, which in itself is a great moment in the history of the submarine arm of the Indian Navy and a singular honour for INS Sindhurakshak. She is the 9th in the series of Kilo Class submarines of the Indian Navy. Commissioned on 24 December 1997 at St Petersburg, Russia she has already taken part in two significant military conflicts – Operation Vijay in 1999 and in Operation Parakram in 2002. She is commanded by Commander Pravesh Singh Bisht, who is an alumni of the 70th course of the NDA (National Defence Academy). INS Sindhurakshak traveled about five miles off the coast of Visakhapatnam and went down to a depth of 50 meters (164 feet). President Kalam was explained the functioning of the submarine and was also taken around the five compartments of the boat, so as to give him a first-hand knowledge of the submarine's operations.

Mr. APJ Abdul Kalam is the first president in India who traveled in a Submarine and a Sukhoi-30MKI.

People like Kalam deserve to be president. His presidency reformed the role of the President in the country. Where other presidents preferred to be passive, he was very active. Especially in promoting education.

Full text of President Kalam's speech aboard INS Sindhurakshak​

"I am delighted to be in the submarine and meet the officers and sailors in their working environment. My underwater journey in the submarine has given me the exposure to a new world and a great experience. My greetings to all of you. Submarines are known to be the most invincible and silent force in naval warfare. The German U-Boats had created panic among the allied forces during the naval battles in the Second World War. The same phenomena even prevail today. It has the ability to hide under sonic-shadow zones and because of its operations in higher depths and at slow speed emanates very little noise. Both these characteristics in combination, make it undetectable even by the best of sensors fitted in ships. The submarines are now armed with most lethal weapons like mines, torpedoes, and tube launched & vertically launched missiles. It has acquired capability of not only destroying the naval platforms at sea but also long range strategic land targets remaining undetectable through out the mission. A strategic navy, like ours, needs a submarine fleet. The Government has recently launched a construction programme of submarines with state-of-the-art technology in the country, which I am sure will pave the path for adding more submarines in our Navy and simultaneously enable building of a strong indigenous know-how in design, development and construction. I am sure we will be able to do it in much faster pace now, due of the experience gained in our earlier construction of SSK-Submarines. Independent of whatever foreign collaboration, it is essential for the Indian Navy to launch the design, development of two types of submarines, one of the conventional class and the other strategic with a long endurance capability.

I have seen and studied the Kilo Class submarine, the SSK Class submarine and also the long endurance submarines that is taking shape. Definitely, since our submarine crew in future warfare has to perform under the sea for long duration with high maneuver capability, there is a need for providing more space for strategic weapons and sensors and make the interior design crew friendly. As the nation has advanced in the design, development of aerospace systems, sensor technology like sonar, gyro system and control system design, structural design for stealth characteristics and hydro dynamic configuration it is time for the Navy to launch an indigenous design & development of our own submarine. In this connection I have always seen naval design teams have shown the capability for indigenous design. Also, a long endurance submarine is being developed with partnership. This should give confidence to build special class of strategic submarines indigenously. The strategies of war has undergone a revolutionary change because of satellite based surveillance systems and many other advanced systems being deployed for monitoring a submarine's presence. We will therefore need to have submarines with long underwater endurance and stealthier from the point of acoustic and magnetic emissions. I am sure, that our naval fleet is equipped with platforms with such type of performance. I greatly appreciate the challenges being encountered by submarine team members. Their life is enclosed in a small environment but what keeps them going are the continuous pressure and the continuous surveillance that they have to maintain for the safety of the submarine and meeting the operational needs. I greet the valiant sailors and officers of this silent force, for performing such onerous tasks. My Best Wishes."

Kalam came to our college some time back it was absolute delight to see him
... what a simple man and yet so charismatic !

good for Abdul kalaam but look @ quality of submarine :S lol

good for Abdul kalaam but look @ quality of submarine :S lol

What is wrong with the quality of the submarine :P

This is the picture where u can clearly see the submarine ID Number

5abf4e919175f7a65c302cd00c937ef0.jpeg

What u should notice is that u are a senior member and trolling like this dosent justify your Title :disagree:

What is wrong with the quality of the submarine :P

This is the picture where u can clearly see the submarine ID Number

5abf4e919175f7a65c302cd00c937ef0.jpeg

What u should notice is that u are a senior member and trolling like this dosent justify your Title :disagree:

hahhah trolling lol growup beta growup i am not trolling just look at submarine quality especially welding lol

hahhah trolling lol growup beta growup i am not trolling just look at submarine quality especially welding lol

Whats wrong with the welding ? Probably you want to mention about corrosion but that's part and parcel of any ship or submarine.

so, now it seems are subs are also worthless.. i am so scared... what wiil happen if our superpower neighbor from west invades us...as we all know what they can do............

Well i suppose couple of things,First of all u havent worked in a shipyard second you are not commissioned with the Pakistan Navy so who on earth are u to comment on the quality of a Kilo class submarine which is operated by countries like India,China and Russia there are more than 50 of these beast build and u want me to take your word on the welding quality of the ship .....Grow up Man pls ...quoting me as beta wount help ur cause

People like Kalam deserve to be president. His presidency reformed the role of the President in the country. Where other presidents preferred to be passive, he was very active. Especially in promoting education.

Yes, I really like him too. I think we should our constitution to allow direct voting of President of India. This in itself will give accountability to the people and people will have the power to put a President who will have a backbone and walk 50 steps straight without anybody's help.

How you know i havnt worked in a shipyard ?????

my chachu is Operation Manager of KOC (Kuwait Oil shipping Company and ur daddy (*ME) kafi baar ja chuka ho in shipyard in KARACHI world biggest shipyard actually graveyard especially Kemari and other in Kuwait.

Secondly those countries who have kiloclass submarine thy bought it BRAND new or minimum use almost brand new. You are using old submarines on the name of money US and Russia fooling you lol poranay ships aur submarines ko refurbish maar maar kar day rahay hain dono lol thats why Welding point!!! lol

Thanks for the intelligent deduction!! You seem to be some kind of an expert in deducing the quality of subamrines - just by looking at thier pictures. I dont think that anyone else has such a gift not even the most experienced submariners or naval engineers.

I was just hoping that your age is more than your claim to experience in this field. Pakistan is lucky to have a prodigy like you, now you can single handedly raise the quality of the PN ships by your sheer genious in marine engineering.

I would also be very greatful if you could train a few chaps from Indian with your divine knowledge and experience, i am out of your league and can never aspire to reach your level but i do know a few people who are in your league and would immensely benifit from your guidance. They are currently enjoying a small vacation of sorts as all primary shchools here are shut down for a few days, so time would not be much of a problem. Just yesterday one of them claimed that he could single handedly built a space ship and go to mars. That statement alone qualifies them to be in your league.

I would be much obliged. Thank You.

Thanks for the intelligent deduction!! You seem to be some kind of an expert in deducing the quality of subamrines - just by looking at thier pictures. I dont think that anyone else has such a gift not even the most experienced submariners or naval engineers.

I was just hoping that your age is more than your claim to experience in this field. Pakistan is lucky to have a prodigy like you, now you can single handedly raise the quality of the PN ships by your sheer genious in marine engineering.

I would also be very greatful if you could train a few chaps from Indian with your divine knowledge and experience, i am out of your league and can never aspire to reach your level but i do know a few people who are in your league and would immensely benifit from your guidance. They are currently enjoying a small vacation of sorts as all primary shchools here are shut down for a few days, so time would not be much of a problem. Just yesterday one of them claimed that he could single handedly built a space ship and go to mars. That statement alone qualifies them to be in your league.

:rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl:ha ha good going ....check out his(stealth) profile he is a graphics designer (that is what he claims to be )and he is also just 23 yrs old.....ooooops he has now deleted his own post after his try at fooling people got exposed........i cant help laughing....who the **** made him a staff anyway?and what is the criteria for becoming one -telling lies ......still wanna find out how many dumbo's like him have been made staff......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom