What's new

Rajnath Singh commissions missile destroyer INS Mormugao into Indian Navy

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Rajnath Singh commissions missile destroyer INS Mormugao into Indian Navy​

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh commissioned INS Mormugao into the Indian Navy on Sunday in Mumbai.​

ADVERTISEMENT

India Today Web Desk
India Today Web Desk
New Delhi,UPDATED: Dec 18, 2022 14:15 IST
https://web.whatsapp.com/send?text=...ium=socialicons&utm_campaign=shareurltracking
INS Mormugao commissioned into the Indian Navy

INS Mormugao commissioned into the Indian Navy (Photo: Twitter/@rajnathsingh)

By India Today Web Desk: INS Mormugao, a P15B stealth-guided missile destroyer, was commissioned into the Indian Navy on Sunday in Mumbai. INS Mormugao was commissioned in the presence of Defence minister Rajnath Singh, Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Anil Chauhan, Navy chief Admiral R Hari Kumar and other dignitaries.

The ship is 163 metres long and 17 metres wide, displaces 7400 tonnes when fully loaded and has a maximum speed of 30 knots. Apart from myriad indigenous equipment in the ‘Float’ and ‘Move’ categories, the destroyer is also installed with under-mentioned major indigenous weapons. The overall indigenous content of the project is approximately 75 per cent.

Speaking at the event, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said INS Mormugao will make a remarkable growth in Indian maritime capabilities and is one of the most powerful warships made in India. “INS Mormugao is one of the world’s most technologically advanced missile carriers,” said Rajnath Singh.

“The systems in INS Mormugao will be able to satisfy not just present but also future needs. It is also an example of our indigenous defence production capability. In the future, we will do shipbuilding for the world,” he added.

The keel of Mormugao was laid in June 2015 and the ship was launched on September 17, 2016. The design has largely maintained the hull form, propulsion machinery, a lot of platform equipment and major weapons and sensors.
--- ENDS ---

Nice. 2 more to come in near future along with 7 Nilgiri class frigates.

Nice. 2 more to come in near future along with 7 Nilgiri class frigates.
For me real question is when will Brahmos with 1000 KM range or Nirbhay or some other cruise missile with at least 1000 KM range if not more will be ready to be carried and fired by these ships.

For me real question is when will Brahmos with 1000 KM range or Nirbhay or some other cruise missile with at least 1000 KM range if not more will be ready to be carried and fired by these ships.
Max range of Brahmos is said to be around 600-800 km for now so It will be that only. Extended range Brahmos was fired from Ins Vishakapatnam earlier this year so Its possible that these new ships are already carrying ER Brahmos on board or will carry soon enough.

PS: I dont see a 1000+ km anti ship/surface cruise missile on these ships anytime soon.

Max range of Brahmos is said to be around 600-800 km for now so It will be that only. Extended range Brahmos was fired from Ins Vishakapatnam earlier this year so Its possible that these new ships are already carrying ER Brahmos on board or will carry soon enough.

PS: I dont see a 1000+ km anti ship/surface cruise missile on these ships anytime soon.

Surface ships are fine but the biggest problem is submarines for the Indian navy. We should have at least 12 more submarines.................. 3-4 SSN submarines and 6-7 diesel with AIP.

SSBN - it is already in progress....

How is it being indigenous 75% when the propulsion, radar, main gun , air defence missile and CWIS are all foreign import?
Good question. I was going to ask this.

But, you have to admit it is a good warship with good armaments...

What I have heard is ER version is 400 KM.

Back
Top Bottom