Quota reform demo: Eden College student held in Sirajganj

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
01:12 PM, August 15, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:35 PM, August 15, 2018
Quota reform demo: Eden College student held in Sirajganj

A student of Eden College, also a leader of the central committee of quota reform, was arrested from her grandfather’s house in Belkuchi upazila of Sirajganj district on August 15, 2018. Photo: Prothom Alo/Collected
Star Online Report

A student of Eden College, also a leader of the central committee of quota reform, was arrested from her grandfather’s house in Belkuchi upazila of Sirajganj district early today, police said.

The cyber crime unit of the Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC) unit and members of Belkuchi Police Station arrested Lutfur Nahar Luma around 4:30am from Khidrachapri area, Mohammad Abdur Rajjak, officer-in-charge of Belkuchi Police Station told The Daily Star.

Luma, who is a second-year student of Social Science at Eden College, hails from Kashiani upazila and was hiding at her grandfather’s house, the OC said.

She was arrested in a case filed under Information and Communication Technology (ICT) act filed with the Ramna Police Station, Mohammad Abdur Rajjak, he added.

She has been brought to Dhaka for interrogation; the police official also said adding that further details of the case cannot be revealed at the moment for the sake of investigation.

Seems the days of Hasina govt coming to an end. I hope it is not before the election. Students will certainly go against the BAL in the coming election. Usually, parties supported by the students win the election if one backtrack many elections in the past during and since Pakistan time. I very much hope the students will successfully create an anti-BAL movement spontaneously.

Seems the days of Hasina govt coming to an end. I hope it is not before the election. Students will certainly go against the BAL in the coming election. Usually, parties supported by the students win the election if one backtrack many elections in the past during and since Pakistan time. I very much hope the students will successfully create an anti-BAL movement spontaneously.
I like many initiatives taken by Awami League in last ten years. But I think it's time for a change. It's better if BAL doen't come to power again. The problem is BAL's alternative is BNP who are even worse....But with Khaleda in jail,there's rumor that BNP may go with Dr. Kamal or Gen. Mahbub as their pm candidate. Which is good, but BNP needs to get rid of parasites like Moudud, Falu, Abbas and others. A change is necessary. We've had enough of Hasina or Khaleda.

I like many initiatives taken by Awami League in last ten years. But I think it's time for a change. It's better if BAL doen't come to power again. The problem is BAL's alternative is BNP who are even worse....But with Khaleda in jail,there's rumor that BNP may go with Dr. Kamal or Gen. Mahbub as their pm candidate. Which is good, but BNP needs to get rid of parasites like Moudud, Falu, Abbas and others. A change is necessary. We've had enough of Hasina or Khaleda.
Dr. Kamal has a higher name value than General Mahbub. But, the former is more book-centric. He wants BD people to become like the London people where the candidates do not try to leg pull his/her opponents.

But, Dr. Kamal lost one election many years ago in Mirpur where his opponent was a local uneducated leader whom Begum Zia did not want to support. Being from west Bengal, he is naturally quite a miser. He wants London style election where he will not spend a single Paisa and the voters would give him an easy victory. His another problem is his wife is a Punjabi lady. It means he has few relatives in BD. But, then, of course, if chosen he will be very good as a PM.

I do not really know about General Mahbub. He will certainly fight his election bid unlike Dr. Kamal Hossain and will probably win. I have my personal support for him because as a military general he is capable of pinpointing national issues and should have the mental ability to prioritize and solve them. He should be as good as Kamal Hossain if elected the PM.

However, I think President Badruddoza and Col. Oli Ahmed should join the election in conjunction with (BNP - Khaleda). There are many other senior leaders who should also come forward to help BNP. However, I feel that the govt will release Khaleda so that she does something stupid that fails the BNP bid. Well, this is also a part of politics BD style.

Dr. Kamal has a higher name value than General Mahbub. But, the former is more book-centric. He wants BD people to become like the London people where the candidates do not try to leg pull his/her opponents.

But, Dr. Kamal lost one election many years ago in Mirpur where his opponent was a local uneducated leader whom Begum Zia did not want to support. Being from west Bengal, he is naturally quite a miser. He wants London style election where he will not spend a single Paisa and the voters would give him an easy victory. His another problem is his wife is a Punjabi lady. It means he has few relatives in BD. But, then, of course, if chosen he will be very good as a PM.

I do not really know about General Mahbub. He will certainly fight his election bid unlike Dr. Kamal Hossain and will probably win. I have my personal support for him because as a military general he is capable of pinpointing national issues and should have the mental ability to prioritize and solve them. He should be as good as Kamal Hossain if elected the PM.

However, I think President Badruddoza and Col. Oli Ahmed should join the election in conjunction with (BNP - Khaleda). There are many other senior leaders who should also come forward to help BNP. However, I feel that the govt will release Khaleda so that she does something stupid that fails the BNP bid. Well, this is also a part of politics BD style.

Dr. Kamal is stupid, saying from my personal opinion. We once joined his party but after first meeting we all left and never talked about it. Not even within ourselves as it felt like we were stupid too.
Mahbub does not know how to talk neither has any political brain. BNP should go with younger leader. They could try the guy who is currently in India.. DB pushed him there. He is quite a brain. Just an opinion.

@ Hi buesky ? Long time no see ! No talk ! Well for many years I am not in this forum. I have lost the interest.

@ Now, about your comments about DR Kamal Hossain ? So, far I know his wife is a Sindhi not a Punjabi.

@ In March 1971 once Sk Mujib was caught by the Pakistan Army, DrPakistan Kamal was still hiding in Dhaka. His brother-1n-Law(May be Sindhi) some Maj was also in Dhaka. Instead of fleeing to India he was making liaison with Maj General Rao Farman Ali through his brother-in-law. Finally, after getting green signal from Rao Farman he surrender probably on 3/4 April 1971 was taken to West Pakistan as prisoner. On interrogation by Pakistan intelligence it was revealed that he was to muchafraid of RAW. As per his version if he had fled to India then RAW could have killed him. Now, in West Pakistan during the movement period where he was I actually don not know. But I think he was a free man. Pakistan govt can say it better. Actually, all the above incidents has come through the mouths of Pakistani Generals.

@ Other than 1970 and 1973 election Dr Kamal never own an election as a MP. Basically, he came from West Bengal so he never had any proper constituency.

@ Now, you people are talking for a 3rd party ? I think, it is not possible in Bangladesh. In Bangladesh there is only two major party one is pro-India and another is anti-India. It is immaterial who is leading the parties each. We have seen the politics of Pakistan how the 3rd party of Imran Khan has come up but in Bangladesh it is not possible under the current political situation. The main problem is we the people of Bengal cannot think independently due to the fear of India. So, anti-India elements always wants to remain united. One 3rd pary could had the possibility to come up that is the Party of General Ershad but he is now too old ! Once BNP was in power they never allowed this Jatia Party of Ershad to stand properly. Again once AL came to power they put it in their pocket through intimidation.

@ About your idea of this "Andolons"(movement) of Students (Qouta) and "Nirapad Shorok" (Safe Route) will hardly have any impact on the master plan of Awami. Remember, Awami Leaque is not alone ? Well, miracle may happen if the UN or western powers desires it. Time is very short. "Avi time bohat kam hai ". The another might happen that Army takes over but they will not come voluntarily. Some body has to push them into the "arena".

Last edited:
@ Hi buesky ? Long time no see ! No talk ! Well for many years I am not in this forum. I have lost the interest.

@ Now, about your comments about DR Kamal Hossain ? So, far I know his wife is a Sindhi not a Punjabi.

@ In March 1971 once Sk Mujib was caught by the Pakistan Army, DrPakistan Kamal was still hiding in Dhaka. His brother-1n-Law(May be Sindhi) some Maj was also in Dhaka. Instead of fleeing to India he was making liaison with Maj General Rao Farman Ali through his brother-in-law. Finally, after getting green signal from Rao Farman he surrender probably on 3/4 April 1971 was taken to West Pakistan as prisoner. On interrogation by Pakistan intelligence it was revealed that he was to muchafraid of RAW. As per his version if he had fled to India then RAW could have killed him. Now, in West Pakistan during the movement period where he was I actually don not know. But I think he was a free man. Pakistan govt can say it better. Actually, all the above incidents has come through the mouths of Pakistani Generals.

@ Other than 1970 and 1973 election Dr Kamal never own an election as a MP. Basically, he came from West Bengal so he never had any proper constituency.

@ Now, you people are talking for a 3rd party ? I think, it is not possible in Bangladesh. In Bangladesh there is only two major party one is pro-India and another is anti-India. It is immaterial who is leading the parties each. We have seen the politics of Pakistan how the 3rd party of Imran Khan has come up but in Bangladesh it is not possible under the current political situation. The main problem is we the people of Bengal cannot think independently due to the fear of India. So, anti-India elements always wants to remain united. One 3rd pary could had the possibility to come up that is the Party of General Ershad but he is now too old ! Once BNP was in power they never allowed this Jatia Party of Ershad to stand properly. Again once AL came to power they put it in their pocket through intimidation.

@ About your idea of this "Andolons"(movement) of Students (Qouta) and "Nirapad Shorok" (Safe Route) will hardly have any impact on the master plan of Awami. Remember, Awami Leaque is not alone ? Well, miracle may happen if the UN or western powers desires it. Time is very short. "Avi time bohat kam hai ". The another might happen that Army takes over but they will not come voluntarily. Some body has to push them into the "arena".
Welcome back @Md Akmal .:-) hope you will frequent this site more often from now.

My happiest dream will come true if the army takes over the country. I would like the military to come and reinstate the CTG system. But, the BAL govt has made a man army chief who and whose family members are equally infamous for committing many crimes. So, I do not expect anything good unless his junior officers come forward. But, is it possible to unite under an officer with the same/similar rank to those who would be supporting him?

Whatever it may be I do not expect similar results as the last time. Khaleda will not fall for the similar trap and there are factors that may influence the outcome.

1) This time Khaleda will not give BAL any cause to get 153 seats unlawfully like last time. Last time BAL divided the seats among the like-minded parties. This time every party will face contest.
2) There will be many foreign observers
3) The mobile communication system has become stronger. Mass media is alert. As far as I understand the results of each polling station is counted and declared on the spot. Media can tally the results with little effort.

However, I believe BNP should not make alliance with Jamaat, at least, should not promise to form a Coalition Govt. BNP should tie with all parties only as a strategy to contest and win the election, but not any coalition with Jamaat. It can form coalition with others only if it wins ln less than 150 constituents.

@TopCat, @Homo Sapiens

My happiest dream will come true if the army takes over the country. I would like the military to come and reinstate the CTG system. But, the BAL govt has made a man army chief who and whose family members are equally infamous for committing many crimes. So, I do not expect anything good unless his junior officers come forward. But, is it possible to unite under an officer with the same/similar rank to those who would be supporting him?

Whatever it may be I do not expect similar results as the last time. Khaleda will not fall for the similar trap and there are factors that may influence the outcome.

1) This time Khaleda will not give BAL any cause to get 153 seats unlawfully like last time. Last time BAL divided the seats among the like-minded parties. This time every party will face contest.
2) There will be many foreign observers
3) The mobile communication system has become stronger. Mass media is alert. As far as I understand the results of each polling station is counted and declared on the spot. Media can tally the results with little effort.

However, I believe BNP should not make alliance with Jamaat, at least, should not promise to feshorm a Coalition Govt. BNP should tie with all parties only as a strategy to contest and win the election, but not any coalition with Jamaat. It can form coalition with others only if it wins ln less than 150 constituents.

@TopCat, @Homo Sapiens

@ I do not want to comment on Army. But you have to see the strength of other parties. I fully agree with you that Jammat does not have that support but at least they have their organization up to route level which even BNP does not have.

@ I tell you other than Jammat other political parties are almost zero. Still Jatia Party has little bit support in Greater Rangpur. To win the election, all political parties has to be united. Now, if you do not keep Jammat in the same group then anti-Awami votes will be splitted in the same constituency. In majority of the constituency Jammat has atleast 30 to 40 thousand votes which will be deciding factor.

@ Do not under estimate Awami Leaque, they have money, they have people in every where. You know during partition of Indian Subcontinent near about 50 lac non-Muslims migrated to India and presently their figure is almost 2.5 crore. Almost equal number they have inside Bangladesh plus other factors.

@ I tell you other than Jammat other political parties are almost zero. Still Jatia Party has little bit support in Greater Rangpur. To win the election, all political parties has to be united. Now, if you do not keep Jammat in the same group then anti-Awami votes will be splitted in the same constituency. In majority of the constituency Jammat has atleast 30 to 40 thousand votes which will be deciding factor.
Thanks. But, I said keep Jamaat with BNP as a strategy for the election only and not as a coalition partner in the government by giving them ministerial portfolios like it was last time. Last time BNP had 200+ seats. Yet, Jamaat with about 30 seats was given cabinet posts.

I object to this because BAL will always exploit the situation if Jamaat is again given portfolios. BAL is strong in the roads when they agitate. So, if BNP wants to try Hasina or some others in the legal Court, BAL will incessantly criticize about a partnership with Jamaat to derail the effort.

Even if BNP gets less than 150 seats it can try to form a coalition with other non-Jamaat parties. Even if the coalition total is less than 150, BNP can form a Minority Govt with Jamaat supporting in the Parliament on debates, issues, and voting, but not in the Cabinet. So, this is how the total for BAL will remain below 150.

The JP of President Ershad can be taken as the coalition partner even if it is not a partner in the election. Ershad needs his parole to stay out of jail. However, Khaleda will have to discard her policy of vicious vendetta against him as he is regarded as the gun behind the killing of President Zia. I believe, Khaleda is short-sighted and a very good for nothing woman.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom