What's new

Questions regarding Maoist threat to India.

I really doubt that, every now and then there's news regarding maoist's killings.
I created this thread exactly for this perception.

I want to post some proof , but I cannot since I am a new member and thus cannot post links.
Just search " maoists kill " in the news section of google and you will get their everyday killing activities.
Just search "Indians rape", or "UFO spotted", or "Earth is hollow" etc for more details. :)

My questions are regarding Maoist insurgency in India.

1)Why doesn't the GoI go all out against them ?
2)Do they enjoy local people's support ?
3)Do we lack the required equipment and expertise to tackle them ?
4)What are we waiting for , what scenario ( comparable to 26/11 or 9/11 ) will force us to react ?
5)Why are we not so sensitive regarding the deaths of CRPF jawans , police , CoBRA's by the Maoist ?
6)Many people in India and this forum treat them as "criminals" and not as "terrorists" , what is this assertion based on ?
I mean they are fighting against our state.
7)How can our politicians allow them to control swathes of land ?

According to me government should adopt 3 pronged strategy. Give them a warning and bring some factions to negotiating table. Launch all out war against remaining, and simultaneously pay special attention to development in these areas.

edit : what kind of warfare and strategy the experts would suggest to exterminate the naxals ?

@Oscar @Horus @ashok mourya @Android @Echo_419 @lightoftruth @unbiasedopinion @Prometheus
@nair @Kaniska @Chanakya's_Chant @Hindustani78 @anilindia @Tshering22 @bloo @sancho @Parmanu @Abingdonboy @fsayed @sarjenprabhu @thesolar65 @Kinetic @CONNAN @Ind4Ever @acid rain @vsdave2302 @Water Car Engineer @Major Shaitan Singh @micky @Lord Zen @kurup @punit @Razia Sultana @levina @Sidak @SpArK @Bang Galore @Dandpatta

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please help me tag other members too.
--
thanks for tag..
nice question ..i will keep short and sweet
----
start with
what Maoist/ naxalisam
http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/naxalbari-the-cradle-of-indias-bloody-class-war/?_r=0
History of Naxalism
Left Wing Extremism Division |
INDIA - FUTURE OF CHANGE - Naxalism - The Biggest Security Threat to India
it movement of few then more than few people with ideology against state (centreal.. state local govt) for their rights and against class conlfict (zamindars .etc
)

Why maoist movement came up..
it mainly goes to naxalbari - west bengal location

As one approaches Naxalbari, half an hour from Siliguri in West Bengal, it is difficult not to feel overawed. This is the place that has lent more than just its name to a farmers' uprising that soon changed the course of the country's history and much of its present. Yet, the place itself is like any other in rural Bengal—lush fields where the crops wait to be harvested, quaint tea-stalls where the old and the young while away their time. The quietness and solitude of the place are in stark contrast to the tumult that abounds a few hundred miles away in Lalgarh, where a fire that germinated in Naxalbari now singes the political machinery of the state.

Currently, the Naxalbari gram panchayat, with its 21 villages, has a population close to 25,000. Around 6,000 people work in the neighbouring three tea gardens while many till their own land.

In order to understand the Naxalite movement of West Bengal, it's important to go back in time to look at the Telangana and the Tebhaga movements that shook parts of India in the 1940s. The Telengana movement in Andhra Pradesh was one of the first instances of an armed struggle by peasants and farmers. At the same time, Bengal witnessed the Tebhaga movement, when the farmers of Bengal struggled for their rights.

The repression of farmers in the state, then ruled by the Congress, triggered a seething rage that only deepened with time. Throughout the fifties, the Terai region of West Bengal, which was barely affected during the Tebhaga struggle, saw discontent brewing in its tea gardens.

Mujibur Rahman, one of the prominent faces of the Naxalite movement, says, "The tea garden workers' union back then sowed the seeds of the Naxalite movement. It taught us that from the malik's point of view, labour and cattle were equally expendable."

The eventual agitation of 1967 was influenced by the general political climate of the time and moulded by the attitude of the local political leaders. Abhijit Mazumdar, son of legendary Naxal leader Charu Mazumdar, says "Baba was convinced of the necessity of arming the peasantry for a more effective struggle. According to Baba, the Tebhaga movement had failed due to the betrayal of the rich peasants."

Mazumdar found an ally in Krishna Kumar alias Kanu Sanyal. During the course of the movement, Mazumdar came in contact with Jangal Santhal, Kesab Sarkar, Babulal Biswakarma, Kadam Mallik and others who were active members of the CPI. "In 1964, when the CPI split and the CPI(M) was formed, Baba showed his undisguised inclination to the Maoist line," says Abhijit Mazumdar.

The clash
In May 1967, the first police bullet was fired, triggering a violent phase in the movement. Sabitri Rao, wife of Punjab Rao, yet another name associated with the Naxalite movement, is an eyewitness to the incident. "One morning, a few of the men went to till the fields and didn't return. We suspected that they had disappeared for a drink. But we got worried and scared when they did not return even the next day. A few others went missing the day after too. The next morning, some of us hid behind the bushes and watched. As soon as the men would begin tilling, the police would appear and take them away, telling them that the jotdar who owned the land has ordered their arrests. The next morning, many of us gathered in the fields at Borojorujot and decided we won't allow the police to do whatever they pleased. In the confrontation that followed, inspector Sonam Wangdi was killed by arrows. No one still knows who shot that arrow."

Abhijit Mazumdar adds, "After Wangdi was shot, the police had to flee the scene. The tribals actually picked up the police rifles that lay on the ground and handed them over to the police."

On May 25, a bigger police contingent arrived in Naxalbari. The locals picked up whatever weapon they could find, the women had their children tied to their backs. The police fired at the demonstrators, killing nine women and two children. Close to the Naxalbari railway station, at Bengaijot, a plaque shows the names of those who lost their lives that day.

It was after this incident that the movement lost its agrarian character and became a militant movement.
Naxalbari: The Beginning - Indian Express

its a tricky question.. to be honest.. i even dont have perfect ans.. one side we say they are our people but gone on wrong path .. but same guys kill our people , armed force -crpf.police.. burn govt facility..
but then i also realsie it was we also responsible that they did not got share what they entitiled too..
if you want land for devleopt of road .. you just cant throw a man out of his land .. with peasnus of compensation..
when they become helpessa nd state become brutal and leave welfare aspect of state then thing go wrong this way..
so now we suing force againt force and rectifyuing our -state mistake with more develoment focus
see govt scchem for LWE development schmes

yes. and no..
Yes
see .. when state used corecive force and dont follow pricnile of justice .. people openly support maosit .. either by money.. or moral or info what ever..
No..
maoist also not saints.. they had cause but then lost in mid way.. extorrtion ... kidnap of local on suspect of informar of plice ...using coeresive force agiant local.. so though they wont reatalisatw with force as they dont have naything to defend but they will not support them and stay neutral if not supoort govt also

to be honest.. i dont know..
we have satellites drone.. choppers.. but i also read.. in dense jungle area its ineffective..
for skills GOI-MOD just satrted army trainig centre in heart of naxal area ops.. i cant remeber location ..
it was in chidambarma era news

4)What are we waiting for , what scenario ( comparable to 26/11 or 9/11 ) will force us to react ?2
No. after 72 solidres died few yr ago.. GOI chnages its strategy .. now they give bullet who want bullet..
result is now maoist alsomt on vege of small fraction

5)Why are we not so sensitive regarding the deaths of CRPF jawans , police , CoBRA's by the Maoist ?
unfortunely.. few are sensitive.. but most its just a news..
how many know chattisgarh capital ? or jharkahnd capital .. ? most people its does not hurt them so for them its news
crpf... special unit-police have less aura than army.. that fact..
but no person will deny their sacrifies ..for sure

6)Many people in India and this forum treat them as "criminals" and not as "terrorists" , what is this assertion based on ?
see it have social an legal aspect..
Criminal / terrorist.
both are agiant law of land .. but what vary is degree and intent..
criminal..
a normal person made mistake by planning or impulse and acted againt law..
its as simple as breaking signal... so fine or imprisonemnt .. or driving wihut licence ..its criminal
this guy does not want to go agiant state -nation

Terrorist
he is again by mistake or pre planned acted againt law but in this case crime is sever inlcuding cost of human life at large and agiant nation ...

So maoist cant fit in both .. but share charater of both category..
so those agiant law of land .. due to govt mistake..or some reason.. but accpet nation .. is criminal
so those againt nation ...consittuion of india.. is indulge in killing human life .. is terrorist..

its not politician letting them
but politics of india know they are in fault and they also dot ahve that much will to go in full out..
which cahing now.
this show close are where nxal ove is..
its mostly non develop .. adivasi.. boundary -state location with dense jungle.. and rivr links.
you can also see most area is much behined devlepement index .. like bihar .. jahrkahdn . chatighar
with large coal and natural deposit..
so it was few people vested intreset to keep them alive to get those benifit

201030ASM915.gif

source-economsit

Conclusion..
Both state and naxal need to introspect.. both made mistakes but bullter will slove issue..
thankfully GOI relasied it. and many maosit cadre tooo..
now few still want gun .. so give them gun

4)What are we waiting for , what scenario ( comparable to 26/11 or 9/11 ) will force us to react ?

According to me government should adopt 3 pronged strategy. Give them a warning and bring some factions to negotiating table. Launch all out war against remaining, and simultaneously pay special attention to development in these areas.

edit : what kind of warfare and strategy the experts would suggest to exterminate the naxals ?

@Oscar @Horus @ashok mourya @Android @Echo_419 @lightoftruth @unbiasedopinion @Prometheus
@nair @Kaniska @Chanakya's_Chant @Hindustani78 @anilindia @Tshering22 @bloo @sancho @Parmanu @Abingdonboy @fsayed @sarjenprabhu @thesolar65 @Kinetic @CONNAN @Ind4Ever @acid rain @vsdave2302 @Water Car Engineer @Major Shaitan Singh @micky @Lord Zen @kurup @punit @Razia Sultana @levina @Sidak @SpArK @Bang Galore @Dandpatta

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) It is a strategy matter. Government seems to have decided to use minimum force.
2) Not much. Local people are against them but keep mum out of fear. Even Maoist themselves surrender in large number.
3) No We have enough equipment. Once again government had not given the nod to Use choppers and areal stikes.Limited Chopper use just sanctioned by new government.
4) We are following the strategy to use minimum force. If we go all out, we can eradicate them in short time but once again government do not want to use that much force against their own citizens.
5) This is a sad part. We should sanction use of more power like arial strike.
6) They are different from other terrorist because they are deprived people and demand some partnership in resources and Economic welfare. Some are genuine and something ingenuine. However they left some scope for reconciliation unlike Islamic terrorist.
7) Once again it is a go slow approach. We have been able to evacuate large chunk of land without much blood shade.

Naxalite–Maoist insurgency in 2007 >>

530px-India_Naxal_affected_districts_map.svg.png

Naxalite–Maoist insurgency in 2013 >>

544px-India_map_Naxal_Left-wing_violence_or_activity_affected_districts_2013.SVG.png

Change is evident!

544px-India_map_Naxal_Left-wing_violence_or_activity_affected_districts_2013.SVG.png

Change is evident!
The most visible change in states of Andhra and Telangana where special forces have almost wiped out the menace. Once govts. of Jharkhand and Chattisgarh get their act together, the most badly affected districts will also see a sharp decline in attacks and damage done.

Maoists in India are largely weaken beyond repair. Andhra Pradesh( Seemandhra and Telangana) has almost wiped armed maoists while Odisha govt has witnessing such success too. Only states where they remain to be a threat even now are parts of Jharkhand and Chhatisgarh and one district of Maharashtra. Hopefully in next 5 years, they will be insignificant.

Indian Home ministry is working to sort out the naxal problem.

Fight against Naxals: Rajnath Singh to chair meeting of four CMs | Zee News

The worst Maoist violence-affected states are Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.

The central government has deployed nearly one lakh personnel of paramilitary forces in these affected states to deal with the rebels.

both the states of a.p and telangana are out of maoist menace... occassionally they burn the cell towers and not a threat to the state..

The most visible change in states of Andhra and Telangana where special forces have almost wiped out the menace. Once govts. of Jharkhand and Chattisgarh get their act together, the most badly affected districts will also see a sharp decline in attacks and damage done.
--
also bifercation state made resuce allocation better tha previous settings .. atlsaet on paper

I see it in a more pragmatic manner compared to fanboys who dont understand politics and its solutions.

@indo, below are my takes on ur specific pointers.

Coz they are not some insurgents who want a seperate country. They are the victims of age old soviet era policies which have to be worked upon for benefit of ur citizens rather than eradicating the citizens themselves. Afterall what Maoists want is rational as ompared to other terrorists in the region. Maoists only want their share for the govt activities on THEIR land. Till date, coz of bullshit land laws, not only maoists but common poor of India suffered.

Yes they do and rightly so. We in our A/c rooms will not understand their plight but locals do. Afterall, 90+ % of Below poverty line people are all tribals. Now dont they have right to life. And their actions become even more justified when govt programs for the poor are misused coz of red tapism and corruption at lower levels. Afterall, its govt figures that only 15/100 rupees from govt programs reach the last target person. Now u say, is our govt and their lack of political will responsible for maoist's plight or they themselves? Afterall, its not a crime to fight for your right to life.

No we dont. But somewhere or the other the govt knows that simply calling for their heads will be seen as inhumane for the already inhumanly treated people. Thats why nowadays u see, central govt call for talks and desire to solve their problems. But on ground their plight in not tackled seriously. But again, to a large extent things are been taken care and catered too. Some reason why so many maoists have surrendered. Now with growing economy, India is able to bring their life above the poverty line of not out of poverty. With time, they all will get into mainstream. Its just govt has to be sincere and focussed to bring them in mainstream. As we say, its not easy to undo a centuries old menace. It takes its own sweet time.

Dont comapre 26/11 to Maoists. They are not interested in killing anyone outside their region. They are not some jihadis. They fight in their own forests coz their idea is to safeguard it from govt force who wanna sell it to corporates for almost free or peanuts. theats exactly why they are anti capitalism.

Point is both the sides are our own people. Poor CRPFs have to go into their region and flush them out so obviously they retaliate. Instead of CRPFs, they need govt partnership for their land and growth of this country.

Terrorist is one who terrorize innocents. Maoists never came to Mumbai or Delhi to kill commoner. They only try to safeguard their region from external insurgents/occupiers coz their region has the best minerals that india can provide. Now govt want to own it in name of govt property which it never was for millenia.

Coz its theirs and always was. Its their livelyhood. Just coz India is a democracy doesnt mean it can snatch any land unlawfully. BAsic funda of democracy is rule of land. Even u agree, our Land laws were obselete and half century old. With latest reforms, maoism will only decline and the way to move forward rather than suppressing it. Afterall, they r not asking freedom from India but freedom from atrocity and treatment as per Indian law.

Agreed with all the points & it's only a matter of time before the Commies & their Maoists friends are wiped out

Change is evident!

Like i said only a matter of time before these idiots are wiped out

both the states of a.p and telangana are out of maoist menace... occassionally they burn the cell towers and not a threat to the state..

With the Formation of Telangana state, Naxals doesnt have any meaning to fight and this is the reason that both AP and Telangana are out of Maoist violence.

Centre promises help to intensify devp works in Naxal areas | Zee News
Last Updated: Monday, February 9, 2015 - 21:09

New Delhi: The Centre on Monday promised to help Naxal-hit states to intensify developmental projects relating to roads, bridges, education and other infrastructure in such locations besides carrying out offensives against the rebels.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh reviewed the developmental projects relating to roads, bridges, railway lines, mobile towers, post offices, banking infrastructure, education, health, radio and TV connectivity and forest and environmental clearances in Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Odisha and Maharashtra.

He said the Bastar region, considered to be the citadel of Maoists, requires special attention for early completion of developmental projects and a coordinated action for tackling Left-wing extremism in the area.

He highlighted the long pending problem of extremism in the area and assured the states of necessary central assistance, a Home Ministry official said.

The four states share border with the Bastar region. Chief Ministers of Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra -- Raman Singh and Devendra Fadnavis -- respectively attended the meeting while Telangana and Odisha were represented by their Chief Secretaries and DGPs.

Union ministers Nitin Gadkari, Ravi Shankar Prasad, Smriti Irani, Suresh Prabhu, Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary and Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore attended the meeting.

The Union ministers heard the views of the respective state governments and assured necessary assistance to them. The states highlighted their concern regarding the requirement of funds for these projects.

It was agreed that the Naxal-hit states in general and Bastar region in particular required special assistance from the Centre and the government may consider necessary relaxations in the policies and schemes for the development of these areas.

The Maoist movement in India is typical. Very typical of Maoist movements around the globe.

It is basically an economic problem in parts of India. It is an administrative problem in parts which nobody cared about till Maoists came up and stopped business as usual.

Violence is the answer to violence.

Violence is not the solution to an economic and administrative problem.

If you use violence wrongly within India, on its citizens, it will compound problems, it will make it bigger like the economic problem and administrative problem became bigger and today it is known as a Maoist problem.

These aren't Chinese bots, they are rural, forest dwellers. They have nothing in the place they live. Nothing. Except people who want the products of the land and the forest they live in.

In Pakistan, these guys turn to religious extremism.

P.S. : these are the problems of continuing the British raj system which was based on sucking out Indian resources. and the result of never having a system of our own based on our society. Nehru could not, nobody took such an initiative after that. It was doable when India was young as a country and not an over populated seasoned country like today.

British had a central system of drawing Indian resources and then distributing it according to the plan, it ensured that British were in charge, they did not create a localised system where it is poured back into the same society, the way our society structure functions in india.that British system was continued in the areas named the Maoist areas till very recently. The local people were getting nothing in return in reality in spite of promises. They want a clause where part of the money taken out be spent on the area it is taken out of. Schools, hospitals, roads, not for the company but for the people. In defence parlays what is known as offset. It was bound to happen that these guys will come up with the demand of an offset clause, no ?

Maoist is just a name.

@indo dude, read it again, I have clarified few points.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom