What's new

Questionable BBS GDP Statistics

Here are some IMF figures for average annual GDP per capita growth PPP of BD and Pakistan over the last 2 decades.

2000-2009 BD 4.5% Pakistan 2.5%
2010-2019 BD 5.8% Pakistan 2.0%

Currently BD is set to grow it's per capita 6-7% this year compared to 2% for Pakistan.

IMF also says that both BD and Pakistan are tied at per capita PPP at the 6.5K USD mark.

These are all PER CAPITA PPP growth rates and so are 100% reliable.

What do you think is going to happen in by say 2040 dude if historical growth rate holds as looks likely?

I have calculated and worked out that BD in per capita PPP will be 2.2x that of Pakistan and the two countries will look totally different both in terms of the way their towns and cities look, infrastructure and the living standards of their citizens.

PS - I am being VERY CONSERVATIVE for BD as it looks likely to grow it's per capita at more like 7%+ between now and 2040 and so then we would have an even greater difference like 3x. Then reality will HIT YOU LIKE A TON OF BRICKS and it will HURT VERY BADLY and your world will be SHATTERED.

Pakistan’s startup ecosystem is ready for lift-off now as the investment forecast in Pakistani startups is more than $600 million by end of this year, said CEO Ignite here on Wednesday.

We are probably the most exciting startup destination in Asia right now. Bd got 1/3 of this funding this year. We are set to have our own unicorn startup this year.

ISLAMABAD:
Adviser for Commerce and Investment Razzaq Dawood on Sunday voiced hope that the country’s exports would reach $50 billion owing to the policy of trade diversification in potential trade sectors by the last fiscal year of the current government – 2023.

He said that recently a Karachi-based electrical and electronics goods company ‘INOVI Telecom’ had just exported the first consignment of 5,500 “Made in Pakistan” 4G mobile phones to the Middle East.

The advisor said that this would be the beginning of an era of high value-added exports from Pakistan, marking the beginning of product diversification from our traditional to non-traditional sectors.

“I urge other mobile manufacturers in Pakistan to emulate this example and export their products,” he said.

On top of this we just exported our first SUV.

KARACHI:
Pakistan has exported its first vehicle – made by Master Changan Motors – under the new Auto Industry Development and Export Policy (AIDEP 2021-26), according to a press release issued by the company on Thursday.

IMF also says that both BD and Pakistan are tied at per capita PPP at the 6.5K USD mark.
Hi bro, I am having hard time finding pakistans gdp per capita in ppp.. I looked up imf website, also worldbank but with no luck. If you please kindly share where pakistans ppp gdp per capita is 6.5k. What I found are the below which shows tgeir ppp amount to be around 5k

Hi bro, I am having hard time finding pakistans gdp per capita in ppp.. I looked up imf website, also worldbank but with no luck. If you please kindly share where pakistans ppp gdp per capita is 6.5k. What I found are the below which shows tgeir ppp amount to be around 5k

Latest IMF for April 2022

Here are some IMF figures for average annual GDP per capita growth PPP of BD and Pakistan over the last 2 decades.

2000-2009 BD 4.5% Pakistan 2.5%
2010-2019 BD 5.8% Pakistan 2.0%

Currently BD is set to grow it's per capita 6-7% this year compared to 2% for Pakistan.

These are all PER CAPITA PPP growth rates and so are 100% reliable.

What do you think is going to happen in by say 2040 dude if historical growth rate holds as looks likely?

I have calculated and worked out that BD in per capita PPP will be 2.2x that of Pakistan and the two countries will look totally different both in terms of the way their towns and cities look, infrastructure and the living standards of their citizens.

PS - I am being VERY CONSERVATIVE for BD as it looks likely to grow it's per capita at more like 7%+ between now and 2040 and so then we would have an even greater difference like 3x. Then reality will HIT YOU LIKE A TON OF BRICKS and it will HURT VERY BADLY and your world will be SHATTERED.

There is absolutely no way to predict where the world will be in 2040. Pakistan is able to achieve all of this despite having 2000Km border with the most unstable country in the world. I would have loved to see what BD did if faced with 10 million refugees and a share a border with a country that has been at war for 50 odd years.

Despite all of that today our startup market is one of the fastest in asia , we just exported our first SUV and our exports have increased by 40%.

Our exports have increased by 40%.
But import growth is even more, so it actually isn't helpful. Bangladesh's export is supposed to cross 59bn this year against import of 82bn.
On the other hand pakistan's export will be 38bn against 87bn import.
Our negative balance is already giving us a hard time, so we can imagine what's it like for pakistan with 4 times less forex

There is absolutely no way to predict where the world will be in 2040. Pakistan is able to achieve all of this despite having 2000Km border with the most unstable country in the world. I would have loved to see what BD did if faced with 10 million refugees and a share a border with a country that has been at war for 50 odd years.

Despite all of that today our startup market is one of the fastest in asia , we just exported our first SUV and our exports have increased by 40%.

Yes there is with a high degree with probability in the case of BD and Pakistan.

The average annual GDP per capita growth rates of BD and Pakistan from 2000-2019 illustrates where the two countries are going economically.

Pakistan is likely to carry on with its unstable governments while BD is likely to flourish under quasi-dictatorship till around 2030 at least.

Forget anecdotes but look at exports between BD and Pakistan for this fiscal - Pakistan is likely to hit 30 billion US dollars while BD would be at 60 billion US dollars.

As for this SUV of yours, it is an assembly job of a Chinese product just like the JF-17 is. The value-add from Pakistan in both cases are minimal and the sales will be too low to make any appreciable difference. Ok as regards JF-17, Pakistan does make some of the airframe from scratch to be fair.

In contrast with BD, 4K TVs are almost completely designed and manufactured from scratch and these products are now available and selling in developed countries around the world. With current sales already this fiscal(July 2021-June 2020) Walton will surpass the 100 million US dollar export target they have set and the company is odds on to make 1 billion US dollar annual sales before 2025 now.

Sorry but BD is playing in a whole different economic league to Pakistan now. If Pakistan can have half the per capita GDP PPP of BD in say 2035 then it would be doing well by its standards.

Yes there is with a high degree with probability in the case of BD and Pakistan.

The average annual GDP per capita growth rates of BD and Pakistan from 2000-2019 illustrates where the two countries are going economically.

Pakistan is likely to carry on with its unstable governments while BD is likely to flourish under quasi-dictatorship till around 2030 at least.

Forget anecdotes but look at exports between BD and Pakistan for this fiscal - Pakistan is likely to hit 30 billion US dollars while BD would be at 60 billion US dollars.

As for this SUV of yours, it is an assembly job of a Chinese product just like the JF-17 is. The value-add from Pakistan in both cases are minimal and the sales will be too low to make any appreciable difference. Ok as regards JF-17, Pakistan does make some of the airframe from scratch to be fair.

In contrast with BD, 4K TVs are almost completely designed and manufactured from scratch and these products are now available and selling in developed countries around the world. With current sales already this fiscal(July 2021-June 2020) Walton will surpass the 100 million US dollar export target they have set and the company is odds on to make 1 billion US dollar annual sales before 2025 n
Sorry but BD is playing in a whole different economic league to Pakistan now. If Pakistan can have half the per capita GDP PPP of BD in say 2035 then it would be doing well by its standards.

Like I said we have to deal with Afghanistan's unstable situation forever. Despite all of that we just had our best year in a long time with 6% growth and double digit growth in most sectors.

$60 billion? When did that happen? You guys have a habit of celebrating things in advance. Our exports have much more variety to them its not 90% garments. This year we did $32 billion. Our startup market is 4X times bigger than yours. Our mobile phones just got exported to middle east.

If you think Sheikh hasina is good for economy you think she is going to be alive for 30 years? I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate and most probably there will be civil war/instability when she goes. Our PPP is still ahead despite having a country on our border that has been at war for 50 years and the devastating effects that comes with it.

Like I said we have to deal with Afghanistan's unstable situation forever. Despite all of that we just had our best year in a long time with 6% growth and double digit growth in most sectors.

$60 billion? When did that happen? You guys have a habit of celebrating things in advance. Our exports have much more variety to them its not 90% garments. This year we did $32 billion. Our startup market is 4X times bigger than yours. Our mobile phones just got exported to middle east.

If you think Sheikh hasina is good for economy you think she is going to be alive for 30 years? I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate and most probably there will be civil war/instability when she goes. Our PPP is still ahead despite having a country on our border that has been at war for 50 years and the devastating effects that comes with it.

60 billion is the forecast as BD is already on about 50 billion US dollars of exports in the first 10 months of the current fiscal(July 2021- June 2022).

BD already exports mobile phones to USA. I don't know about how much of the phones that Pakistani companies design and manufacture but in BD they design and make everything apart from the SOC, camera lens and maybe the transmitter/receiver.

No, Hasina is not going to be around for another 30 years but she should be around till 2030. BD by then will be a decently educated and well off mature society and we may either move to full democracy or carry on with another person from BAL as new leader. Whichever way BD will not be in "civil war" as BD society is mature and of a dominant ethnic group.

Where did you get that 90% of BD exports are garments? It is around 85% when you just consider goods. With services added in then we are looking at around 75%.

Garments as proportion of total exports has been declining for some years but it does not show yet in a significant way as garment exports are massive to the non-garment exports. Sometime later on this decade we shall see garment exports dropping appreciably year on year. As an example electronic goods exports has been growing at many 100s of per cent a year over the last 2 years and this is expected to continue for some more years before it drops off.

PS - No your PPP per capita is not ahead of BD. Like I already said both countries are 6.5K but BD will have a measureable lead in 2023 as it is on target to grow it's per capita at 7%+ this year. Pakistan is heading for 2-3% again.

If you think Sheikh hasina is good for economy you think she is going to be alive for 30 years? I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate and most probably there will be civil war/instability when she goes.
I swear both indians and pakistanis want sheikh hasina dead 😂

Pakistans biggest problem is the debt you have and the lack of foreign reserves to cover imports and service those debts. The interest your paying eats any growth you create.

People in India have a positive perception of Hasina, tbh they just fear a radical mullah taking over as BD’s PM. Don’t take it otherwise, but this is what most people in India think.
You mean like the radical sanghi who's your PM?

Pakistans biggest problem is the debt you have and the lack of foreign reserves to cover imports and service those debts. The interest your paying eats any growth you create.

Pakistan takes out debt to pay of its debts. That is one the problems right there.

I am not trying to seriously debate the poster as in 10-15 years even he will not be able to deny that BD is a much more successfully economy than Pakistan, as BD cities and towns will look far more modern than Pakistan. Also BD'shis will earn 2-3 times what Pakistanis do.

He needs to accept that BD as a society and country plays in a much higher league than Pakistan and there is nothing that will change this in his lifetime most probably. The fact that BD and Pakistan were one country between 1947-1971 and Pakistan was able to use BD resources to benefit itself during this period has given him a false self of equivalency between the two countries.

Last edited:
Guys let's just compare cold hard numbers instead of measuring schwanzes.

Agreed Pakistan has problems but Bangladesh has various issues too, some of them quite serious. I won't go into them here.

Lately in the last two/three decades Bangladesh was lucky to have relative peace within which to have stable governance and social development - unlike Pakistan which suffered instability due to WOT next door. On top of it - there were additional problems caused by internal extremism and terrorism activities, some of it funded by external entities.

While the exact development factors that Bangladesh focused on (for example inclusive development in terms of female participation in the workplace as well as classrooms which resulted in neonatal/reproductive health, fertility drops and general overall health improvements) were not focused on with the same gusto in Pakistan, direct comparisons are probably not warranted as there are many macroeconomic and societal factors that are not referenced 1:1. Societal values and norms are vastly different in both countries and the various industrial sectors and export diversification thrusts of the two economies are different as well.

Bangladesh benefitted immensely from the Micro-credit movement, millions were lifted out of poverty. That era was missed in Pakistan.

Agriculture is strong in both countries however in Pharma and other sectors (especially engineering and metal working) are rather strong in Pakistan. Pakistan is self sufficient on a basic level in the engg. sector. You may have seen some threads I posted on about that. As a basis for further important value addition, that is extremely important. China used light engineering exports as one of the strongest basis for development.

Bangladesh is totally lacking in that area, though I hear the Chinese have Bangla speaking salespeople to cater to Bangladesh (dholaikhal and Jinjira) engg. entrepreneurs.

Bangladesh may do great value addition in apparel exports however Pakistan has been adding value in sports items and stainless steel surgical implements for much longer, several decades prior. Problem is Pakistan Govt. (and some Private sector entrepreneurs) are not as well organized and do not focus on and explore new areas in exports as much as their counterparts in Bangladesh do.

The business energy in Bangladesh is at another level - that has to be replicated in Pakistan.

Both countries will develop in time, but they will take different paths to get there. Export diversification and balanced industrial portfolio is needed in both countries - and I'd say more needed at this time in Bangladesh than India and Pakistan.

I have strong hope for Pakistan - their economic fundamentals may be a bit weak now because of consistent looting, but they will recover in time.

Last edited:
People in India have a positive perception of Hasina, tbh they just fear a radical mullah taking over as BD’s PM. Don’t take it otherwise, but this is what most people in India think.
"Radical mullah" taking over BD would hurt Bangladeshis- it would hardly make a dent to India. Indians should be worried sick about the radical Hindu mullahs that are already in charge.

"Radical mullah" taking over BD would hurt Bangladeshis- it would hardly make a dent to India. Indians should be worried sick about the radical Hindu mullahs that are already in charge.
I don’t think a “radical hindu mullah” is in charge, just because you think so he is doesn’t make him one. Your concern would’ve made sense if a Bajrang Dal guy became PM as they’re indeed far right wing guys, BJP ones are normal right wing. I was just saying what most people in India think and also said, don’t take it otherwise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom