What's new

Question about NIO & BYD

ProudThamizhan

Reaction score
Country
India
@beijingwalker @GreatHanWarrior - hi guys, I have assumed you two are Chinese and hence tagging you. But anyone else with info can also respond.

Other than what is widely published in the financial press in the US , if you have anyother source of info or knowledge of local circumstance, can you tell me how NIO and BYD are viewed in China? What kind of people buy NIO , what kind of people buy BYD? are they thoiught of well or just so so ?

For example we have many companies making and selling cars in the US. Beyond price, there are perceptions - such as Ford and GM except for a handful of models are bleh whereas Toyota, Tesla etc have a upper brand view.

That is the kind of 'impression' question I'd appreciate if you could answer

Also pls tag other Chinese members taht you know so we can get a broader view.

From what I know, NIO is for upper class, while BYD is for common people.

In terms of luxury, NIO is on the same level as brands like Mercedes Benz, BMW, Lexus, etc. Even above Tesla.

This is the comparison between NIO ET7 vs Mercedes Benz E-Class:

The different between Tesla and NIO:

For BYD, the great thing about BYD is in the technology.

I don't know much about NIO technology except for comfort, but BYD is very strong in EV tech.

Like recently Japanese book says BYD chassis is like a mix of Toyota Corolla and Tesla.

In terms of battery, BYD invented Blade Battery that will not explode unlike conventional batteries in other EVs.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I think BYD is doing a lot of effort to change their branding (Chinese guys can correct me if I am wrong). They have launched new sub-brands like yangwang.

Also they launched Denza N7, which I think is more aiming for tesla direct competition.

Upvote 0
NIO has better branding and styling as well quality, in the long run they will be the brand to beat in China.

You get a lot more car/features in their price range than you would get even with Tesla.

Upvote 0
The Nio is positioned for the more affluent middle class.

BYD is positioned for the average middle class and lower class families with better incomes.

Families at the bottom can't afford cars.

And high-income families are still chasing top fuel car brands like RR.

Upvote 0
Just like BMW or Porsche doesn't sell many compared to Toyota or Volkswagen.

Yeah well NIO finally found a sugardaddy to bail them out since everybody else was balking.

June 20, 2023

Abu Dhabi to Take 7% Stake in Chinese Electric Vehicle Maker Nio​

Not the first time either

NIO, the embattled electric car company, is getting a big bailout from Beijing​

Upvote 0
Nio and Xpeng might not make it long time. They are essentially big startups.

From China market, I think BYD, Geely and MG (SAIC). Wuling sale has also plummeted lately for some reasons.

BYD is the most advantageous because they have a closed supply chain where they make the battery, other brands need to buy from either BYD or GAC. EV is literally a battery on wheel, control the battery and you control EV.

Upvote 0
Nio and Xpeng might not make it long time. They are essentially big startups.

From China market, I think BYD, Geely and MG (SAIC). Wuling sale has also plummeted lately for some reasons.

BYD is the most advantageous because they have a closed supply chain where they make the battery, other brands need to buy from either BYD or GAC. EV is literally a battery on wheel, control the battery and you control EV.
NIO&Xpeng's market position is similar to Tesla's, so they are under the most pressure in the price war. But they have been able to harvest a lot of investment and they are in a healthy financial position, so they are fine. In fact, all of the top 20 EV companies in China have been able to weather this price war without any problems.

Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom