What's new

Putin launches construction of six warships for Russian Navy

vostok

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
The Russian leader launched the construction of combat ships at the shipyards located in Severodvinsk, St. Petersburg and Komsomolsk-on-Amur
1330051[1].jpg

© Ramil Sitdikov/Russian Presidential Press and Information Office/TASS

KUBINKA /Moscow Region/, August 23. /TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin gave a command via a video conference to lay down six combat ships for the Russian Navy at three shipyards on Monday.
The Russian leader launched the construction of combat ships at the shipyards located in Severodvinsk, St. Petersburg and Komsomolsk-on-Amur. The Russian president gave the keel-laying command from the Patriot Park in Kubinka outside Moscow where the Army 2021 international military-technical forum opened on Monday.
Two strategic nuclear-powered underwater cruisers have been laid down at the Sevmash Shipyard in northwestern Russia, two corvettes at the Amur Shipbuilding Plant in the Russian Far East and two Varshavyanka-class conventional subs at the Admiralty Shipyard in St. Petersburg (all of them are integrated into Russia’s Shipbuilding Corporation).
The keel-laying plaques have been installed on the nuclear-powered underwater cruisers Dmitry Donskoi and Knyaz Potyomkin at the Sevmash Shipyard, the submarines Mozhaisk and Yakutsk (the fifth and sixth subs in a series of six Project 636.3 diesel-electric submarines for the Russian Pacific Fleet) at the Admiralty Shipyard and the corvettes Grozny and Buiniy at the Amur Shipbuilding Plant.

They have no big ships. Only corvettes. Their nuclear subs are quite good though, but too few in numbers.

Corruption limits the development of Russian naval industry.

I hope they can get rid of corruption and revitalize the Russian Navy as soon as possible.

Corruption limits the development of Russian naval industry.

I hope they can get rid of corruption and revitalize the Russian Navy as soon as possible.

Not gonna happen unless they put that vodka down. There's a reason Russia's covid death rate is highest in the world.

Good news. I hope Russia can rebuild the Pacific Fleet as soon as possible and help China share the pressure.

With the warming of the North pole waters and new passageways, Northern and Pacific Fleets have good interchangeability/synergy now.

Here is the flagship of the Northern Fleet Pyotr Velikyi (Kirov class). Any nation that can build a 28,000 ton Nuclear powered Battlecruiser is a superpower in my book. Have a detailed replica in my showcase and is impressive even in that size.

Sometimes I play,

Славься, славься, родина-Россия!

while looking at this replica. Inspiring!

Russian_Battle_Cruiser_Pyotr_Velikiy.jpg

Last edited:
Not gonna happen unless they put that vodka down. There's a reason Russia's covid death rate is highest in the world.

The Russians always have some messy things to limit their strength.

I always worry that one day the president of Russia will blow up the earth with nuclear bomb when he is drunk.
With the warming of the North pole waters and new passageways, Northern and Pacific Fleets have good interchangeability/synergy now.

Now the obsolete warship of the Russian Pacific fleet can't help China anything.

The Russians always have some messy things to limit their strength.

I always worry that one day the president of Russia will blow up the earth with nuclear bomb when he is drunk.

Now the obsolete warship of the Russian Pacific fleet can't help China anything.

Well yes - there has been faux pas in Russia's naval history (the war with the Japanese at Tsushima Strait was a game changer), however I would not write off Russian shipbuilding capabilities and technology as 'obsolete'. Russia may be having temporary shrinking of their economy, but their technological expertise has not shrunk. If anything, from where I sit, their technology on both military and civil aerospace, armaments and naval front has become much more sophisticated.

Most early Chinese military technology was based on technology from Russia, and even today there are collaborations from Russia in civil airliner technology being produced in China.

What is happening in Russia is a change (shift) of strategy. Russians are moving away from building ships like aircraft carriers and building highly mobile (but sophisticated missile technology intensive) smaller corvettes (about 2500 tons) of four/five different types along with frigates - even large destroyers.

The Admiral Gorshkov-class frigate (~5000 tons) is anything but obsolete - 15 are planned. They will mostly be in the Northern fleet and range is 4,850 nmi (8,980 km; 5,580 mi).

Of note in the Pacific fleet planning is Project 23560 a "Leader-class" destroyer displacing 19,000 tons. Russia's money troubles and sanctions notwithstanding, this may still see the light of day. Up to 8 are planned. This is supposed to be far more powerful than even the Kirov (Ushakov) class. Keel laying is planned by 2023.

Maybe brother @vostok knows further details.

1036px-Mock_Leader_class_destroyer_on_%C2%ABArmy_2015%C2%BB_1.JPG

Last edited:
Well yes - there has been faux pas in Russia's naval history (the war with the Japanese at Tsushima Strait was a game changer), however I would not write off Russian shipbuilding capabilities and technology as 'obsolete'. Russia may be having temporary shrinking of their economy, but their technological expertise has not shrunk. If anything, from where I sit, their technology on both military and civil aerospace, armaments and naval front has become much more sophisticated.

Most early Chinese military technology was based on technology from Russia, and even today there are collaborations from Russia in civil airliner technology being produced in China.

What is happening in Russia is a change (shift) of strategy. Russians are moving away from building ships like aircraft carriers and building highly mobile (but sophisticated missile technology intensive) smaller corvettes (about 2500 tons) of four/five different types along with frigates - even large destroyers.

The Admiral Gorshkov-class frigate (~5000 tons) is anything but obsolete - 15 are planned. They will mostly be in the Northern fleet and range is 4,850 nmi (8,980 km; 5,580 mi).

Of note in the Pacific fleet planning is Project 23560 a "Leader-class" destroyer displacing 19,000 tons. Russia's money troubles and sanctions notwithstanding, this may still see the light of day. Up to 8 are planned. This is supposed to be far more powerful than even the Kirov (Ushakov) class. Keel laying is planned by 2023.

Maybe brother @vostok knows further details.

1036px-Mock_Leader_class_destroyer_on_%C2%ABArmy_2015%C2%BB_1.JPG

As far as I know they have abandoned plans to build such a big nuclear destroyers. And it is right decision. Hypersonic antiship cruise missiles changed the game for many years ahead. They can not be stopped by modern Anti-Air defence systems. It is better to have more small ships armed with hypersonic cruise missiles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom