What's new

PUNJAB/BALOCHISTAN-- Kachhi Canal Project ( 500 KM )

WAPDA starts process to Construct remaining works of Kachhi Canal Phase-I

Also initiates process to carry out Phase-II, Phase-III feasibility studies

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoor, text that says 'August 26, 2020: WAPDA Chairman Lt Gen Muzammil Hussain (Retd) visiting Kachhi Canal (WAPDA Photo)'

WAPDA resumes construction work on Kachhi Canal Phase-I to complete its remaining part

August 26, 2020

Sohail Ahmad

Process to carry out Phase-II, Phase-III feasibility studies initiated

Kachi-Kanal.jpg

Pakistan’s Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) has initiated the process for construction of remaining works relating to Kachhi Canal Project Phase-I, which will enable Balochistan to irrigate another 30,000 acres of land in Dera Bugti District.

Besides, process for carrying out feasibility studies of Kachhi Canal Project Phase –II and Phase-III have also been started.

This project aims at development of irrigated agriculture and poverty alleviation in remote areas of Balochistan leading towards eradication of extremism from the province.
WAPDA Chairman Lt Gen Muzammil Hussain (Retd) said this during his visit to Kachhi Canal on Wednesday. WAPDA GM (Central) Water Attaullah Memon and Project Director Kachhi Canal Syed Ali Akhtar Shah were also present during the visit.

Chairman said that 40 Kilometer-long main lined canal and 32 Km-long water distribution system will be constructed in three years under remaining works of the Phase-I. As many as 363-Km main canal and allied water distribution system have already been completed by WAPDA in August 2017 to irrigate 72000 acres of land, he added.

The Chairman further said that it is a good omen for Balochistan that 52000 acres out of 72000 acres of land is being cultivated to bring in a phenomenal change in the livelihood of the locals in Dera Bugti District. He expressed the hope that Government of Balochistan will soon be able to develop remaining 20000 acres in the command area.

Earlier, GM (Central) Water briefed the Chairman about the status for implementing remaining works of the Phase-I and carrying out feasibility study of the Phase-II and the Phase-III.

It is worth mentioning here that Kachhi Canal is vital project for Balochistan to ensure economic development and social uplift by developing agriculture and agro-based economy in the province. The canal that takes off from Taunsa Barrage in Muzaffargarh District of Punjab, enters Balochistan in Dera Bugti District. Command area of the canal is situated in Dera Bugti, Nasirabad, Bolan and Jhal Magsi Districts of Balochistan.

The project is planned to be completed in three phases.

they can increase cultivation area if they educate farmers and provide them cheap High efficent irrigation system!

Under Construction Kacchi Canal Project Dera Bugti

Rs: 80 billion, 500km long Kacchi canal project is ready to irrigate 7,13,000 acres of land in Balochistan by bringing water from Punjab...!!!
🇵🇰

Another step towards prosperous Balochistan and Prosperous Pakistan
🇵🇰

1643468119665.png

1643468166079.png

1643468144642.png

1643468188739.png

It's been 2 decades and the project is still incomplete. this project is the best example of incompetency in Pak authorities and politicians

WAPDA constructing Kachhi Canal Extension Project Balochistan under Phase-1. 40-Km long main lined canal with 32-Km distribution system completion by mid 2023.

The project will execute in three phases to irrigate 713,000 acres of land in Dera Bugti, Naseerabad, Bolan, Jhal Magsi.

Total Length 363-Km long under Phase-I..

338038215_594049979346364_7295291903118743477_n.jpg

341341176_931546578266520_1155593794454205422_n.jpg

342163616_175954215345607_1800994784870316302_n.jpg

‘KACHHI CANAL EXTENSION PROJECT TO BE COMPLETED IN COUPLE OF MONTHS’

May 17, 2023: Kachhi Canal Extension Project being constructed by WAPDA in District Dera Bugti of Balochistan will be completed in couple of months to irrigate another 30,000 acres of land in the project area. Consequently, the command area of Kachhi Canal Phase-I will extend to 102,000 acres.

This was briefed by the project management to Chairman WAPDA Engr Lt Gen Sajjad Ghani (Retd) during his visit to Kachhi Canal Extension Project.

GM (Central) and PD Kachhi Canal Project Syed Ali Akhtar Shah, Consultants and the Contractors, apprised the Chairman about progress on Kachhi Canal Extension Project. It was briefed that construction work on 40-Km main lined canal, allied structures and 32-Km water distribution system is complete except at a couple of sites, which is likely to be completed soon.

Later, Chairman WAPDA had a detailed round of the main canal, allied structures and the distribution system. Speaking on the occasion, the Chairman said that Kachhi Canal is a significant project to alleviate poverty from backward and remote areas of Balochistan by developing irrigated agriculture and agro-based economy in the province.

Command area development is equally important to accrue benefits from Kachhi Canal Extension Project, therefore, we hope the Government of Balochistan will be able to develop the command area without any delay, he added.

The Chairman was also briefed about the plan for restoration of the 363-Km main canal, which was made functional in 2017, but was damaged at certain stretches due to the devastating flood in August last year.

The Chairman directed the project management to make concreted efforts to resume water flows in the main canal in shortest possible time once the funds are received for the purpose.

Kachhi Canal Extension under Phase-I in Dera Bugti, Balochistan is nearing completion. 40-Km main lined canal with 32-Km distribution system will irrigate additional 30,000 acres of land.

363-Km Kachhi Canal under Phase-I was completed in 2017 with command area of 72,000 acres.

346653231_621411896685060_5278036737213977317_n.jpg

345474686_760241272556954_7747956091862181967_n.jpg

348693634_1207045356625983_7587399614001882176_n.jpg

Unless these Canals have connection points to land depressions or groundwater recharging where flood waters can run off into you'll continuously see 2011 and 2022 disasters.

Kachhi Canal Project (KCP) in Balochistan is going to unleash a “Green Revolution” by irrigating 713,000 acres of barren land in most areas of the province.

The project is carried out in the same vein as CPEC, which pays special attention to agricultural development and people’s livelihood. Though it does not fall in the ambit of CPEC, it is among those initiatives that receive positive vibes from many agro-based development projects under CPEC.

Balochistan has no canal system for irrigation. After the completion of Kachhi Canal, the cropping intensity of sorghum, oilseeds, pulses and wheat will be increased up to 88.5 percent approximately with Rs19.66 billion (Rs3.82 billion for phase-I) added to the national economy annually. The project would create hundreds of thousands of jobs as well. Areas including Dera Bugti, Naseerabad, Kachhi (Bolan) and Jhal Magsi will benefit.

Kachhi Canal is also known as the ‘Green Revolution’ project of Balochistan. Apart from irrigating barren lands, it would also mitigate drinking water stress for about two million people.

KCP is located in a typical arid zone climate, characterised by high temperature and low rainfall, where economically sound agriculture is only possible under irrigated conditions. Now, things are being changed for the poor people of Balochistan, the most underdeveloped part of the country.

The project is being financed by the federal government through its Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP). The work of the project is being executed by WAPDA in collaboration with the Kachhi Canal Consultants. So far, an expenditure of around Rs100 billion has been incurred on the project since its start in 2002.

According to a senior WAPDA official, the authority has already constructed a 363-km main canal and 81-km long allied water distribution system to irrigate 72,000 acres of land in Phase-I. “Kachhi Canal is a vital project to alleviate poverty and eradicate extremism in remote and backward areas of Balochistan by developing irrigated agriculture and an agro-based economy in the province”, the official said.

Terming the land being cultivated in Sui and adjacent areas of Dera Bugti district through Kachhi Canal as a good omen for Balochistan, the official said the project has brought phenomenal changes to the locals as corp cultivation is gaining momentum due to availability of water. He also said now green fields can be seen in the areas of Dera Bugti.

According to the official, phase-I of the project has been almost completed as work only on 40-km is remaining which is under progress.

To a question, he said PC-I for the phase-II (58-km) and phase–III (39-km) is being prepared by the consultants, under which command areas of 267,000 acres in District Nasirabad & Bolan and 344,000 acres in Nasirabad, Bolan & Jhal Magsi districts would become cultivated. “The main incremental benefits of the project for irrigation of 611,000 acres of land lies in Phase-II & III.”

Moreover, the WAPDA official said, as per approved timeline of Consultancy Contract Agreement, the Consultants will submit the detailed engineering design, tender documents and the PC-I of Phase-II & III by September 2022.

The actual construction of the Phase-II & III works will commence after the approval of the PC-I by the competent forum.

Furthermore, the WAPDA official said the provincial irrigation department had taken over the completed portion of the main canal and allied distribution system (Balochistan portion) in March 2021.

However, the remaining portion of the main canal (Punjab Portion) shall be taken over from the authority concerned after sanction/arrangement of staff & other administrative issues. So far the command area of 52,000 acres has been developed under Phase-I by the provincial agriculture department whereas the remaining is under progress.

According to documents, the original PC-I for KCP was approved by the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) at a cost of Rs31.2 billion in September 2003 with scheduled completion date of June, 2007. However, due to multiple reasons including deteriorated law and order and financing difficulty, the work could not be completed as per the original schedule.

Reportedly, the project runs through the areas of Balochistan that remain the ‘hub of terrorism by separatist elements,’ particularly after the death of the former governor Sardar Akbar Bugti in 2006. Many people affiliated with the project died and were injured while working near Sui in Dera Bugti.

On the other hand, due to inordinate delay in the project, ECNEC approved the 1st revised PC-I (phase-I) of KCP at Rs57.6 billion in December 2013, including an additional lining of 97 kilometers and dividing the project into three phases (phase-I, II & III) with the expected completion date of phase-I by December 31, 2013.

However, the project completion was again delayed. Subsequently, ECNEC had to approve the 2nd revised PC-I at Rs80.4 billion in March 2017.

Back
Top Bottom