What's new

PTSD and other psychological issues in Pakistan army

Have you guys even made documentaries on your soldiers ? How about documenting the Lal Masjid operation ? All I see is lies and rumours floating around any major event of your country and stakeholders feel comfortable in letting the situation be.

You know what the approach is called ? Ostrich syndrome. See for yourself how confused your countrymen are on every damn issue.

In our part of the world, we don't live by martial race rules like boys don't cry; girls are born home makers; etc etc. They were crying because it is perfectly natural for them to do so.

Our society is open to such behaviors and hence we have support groups where a lot of constructive things happen which you guys are completely oblivious of in your country.

looks like this thread is now becoming Anti-US army troll thread.

Sorry for that. Perhaps my OP is partly to blame.

The purpose was just to discuss PTSD among PA soldiers and not turn this into anti-US $hit.

peace

happy new year

looks like this thread is now becoming Anti-US army troll thread.

Sorry for that. Perhaps my OP is partly to blame.

The purpose was just to discuss PTSD among PA soldiers and not turn this into anti-US $hit.

peace

happy new year

Happy new year bud ! Have a great one ! :cheers:

I'm not sure about PTSD but suicide is more or less non-existent; probably due to the fact that it's forbidden in Islam. I know a few veterans from 71 war with India including a prisoner of war who broke away from an Indian jail. They all look and sound very normal. I also know a few Waziristan veterans with near death experiences and injuries even, but they all look and sound no different from an average joe.

I guess it has something to do with the culture. Our rural folk, from where the army comes, are a tough folk. Most soldiers come from the northern Punjab(Potohar-Salt range) and KPK/FATA. These areas have a long history of fighting men. From Alexander the great to the colonization, just see in which Pakistani regions majority of wars and stuff happened over the centuries and you'll find the answer.

I don't know weather it qualifies as PTSD but an uncle from my Mums side ( a Warraich ) served in SSG, tours of duty included Siachen & part of the security protocol on PIA flights all over the world. His hands shake & he wasn't able to conceive. The guy is visibly not well & if u introduce him as a soldier let alone an SSG The person would never believe You. Th guy is a really cool person & very easy going but once he gets Mad he really gets Mad. Another factor being that his father served in the British Indian army in WW2.

Now on the other Hand my Chacha served in the army as well was an SSG in Ibrahim company. He was part of the operatin onkarachi inearly 90s, served in fata & before retirement was stationed in Quetta as instructor, trainer role. He is completely opposite to my other uncle even though that he was the 1st one from our family to join up army & no 1 in our immediate family was in army.

1 characteristics they both share is that they are both shy & reserved.
I am putting up all this for an example since they are both from "martial races" & the traditional recruiting ground.
All in all the Martial races concept isn't that strong in my opinion but the family structure for sure is.

Interesting discussion!

I refuse to believe that PA soldiers are not prone to PTSN. I don't think the alleged absence of PTSD from PA has anything to do with this old and abandoned "martial race" theory. There could be three reasons;

1. Since we are primarily comparing US Army with PA, medical care in the US is obviously way more advanced than Pakistan. They have diagnoses and treatments for diseases which are not termed as diseases at all in Pakistan! So its quite possible that our soldiers do suffer from PTSD but the symptoms are brushed aside as fatigue etc. So these cases are not reported.
  2. Family structure: we have a very strong family based culture. Our soldiers return to their wives, parents, siblings and children in their cities and villages. US soldiers (my knowledge is based on newpapers, movies, TV shows) return to their partners (wives/GFs). Family values are different. Pakistanis are not afraid of sharing their thoughts. I guess its a little different in the West. So this natural family based therapy is absent for average US soldier.
  3. Finally, an average Pakistani has probably heard about or seen more violence than an American. This probably "dampens" the effects of atrocities you see / commit in a war?

Then again I am no psychologist and this is the first time I am participating in a discussion on the subject.

Nobody Is Saying That PTSD Is Completely Absent,However It Is Less Compared To Other Standing Armies.Your Three Reasons Are Correct I Would Also Like to Add That
1.Soldiers of PA Have Relatively Greater Economic and Social Security.My Uncle Was In The Pak Army And Was Serving On A UN Mission.He Died From Pneumonia.My Aunt Was Allowed to Stay in Official Accomodation Uptil The Age My Late Uncle Was To Retire.She Was Also Entitled to Pension And Medical Benefits in CMH.
This Kind Of Policy Really Gives Soldiers Peace of Mind Regarding Their Families
2.Joining The Armed Forces Is Very Prestigous.People Who Join The Army Are Looked At With Great Respect.Fighting For The Country and Attainment Of Shahadat Is Actually A Motivating Force.PA Soldiers March Into The Battlefield With Completely Different Psyche

Have you guys even made documentaries on your soldiers ? How about documenting the Lal Masjid operation ? All I see is lies and rumours floating around any major event of your country and stakeholders feel comfortable in letting the situation be.

You know what the approach is called ? Ostrich syndrome. See for yourself how confused your countrymen are on every damn issue.

In our part of the world, we don't live by martial race rules like boys don't cry; girls are born home makers; etc etc. They were crying because it is perfectly natural for them to do so.

Our society is open to such behaviors and hence we have support groups where a lot of constructive things happen which you guys are completely oblivious of in your country.

You Seem to Be A Guy Who Has No Idea What He Is Talking About.I Can Only Lament On You.

And Can you Tell Me What Lal Masjid Has To Do With PTSD

Also The Martial Races Was Put Forward By The British Colonialists Not By Us

You Seem to Be A Guy Who Has No Idea What He Is Talking About.I Can Only Lament On You.

And Can you Tell Me What Lal Masjid Has To Do With PTSD

Also The Martial Races Was Put Forward By The British Colonialists Not By Us

LOL you came out of a cryo sleep or what ?

Back
Top Bottom