What's new

PTI | Imran Khan's Political Desk.

January 31, 2012

Cricketer-turned-politician Khan vows to sweep Pakistan polls

Imran Khan with the host Imran Chaudhry and others guests at Chaudhry’s residence in Emirates Hill in Dubai.

Pakistan heading to bigger revolution than Arab Spring, Tehreek chief says

Dependence on [the United States] will go and we will break the begging bowl and will run the country with our own resources as we cannot be independent if we keep on getting aid from the world, says Imran Khan.

Pakistan is heading towards a bigger revolution than the Arab Spring because the "silent revolution" has brought people together under his leadership to usher in change in the country, said Imran Khan, cricketer-turned-politician.

Khan, who led Pakistan's cricket team to win the 1992 World Cup, said that he is all set to "captain the nation".

"My tsunami is much bigger than the leaderless Arab Spring, which was triggered by social media, but in Pakistan the media is free and I am leading the ‘revolution' from the front," the chief of Tehreek-e-Insaf (Justice Movement) told Gulf News on Sunday at a reception in Dubai. Khan, who has always opposed the military operation against militant groups in the US war on terror, said that he would immediately put an end to the war as soon as he comes to power.

"We will immediately announce a ceasefire and will not use our military against our own people because I have always said that it is not our war and we should not fight it. The US should also exit from Afghanistan to ensure peace in the region," he said. Khan is also in talks with militant groups as well and said he would use his influence in the tribal areas to reconcile with them.

"I have always told Americans as well that there is no military solution to this problem, but rather they have to solve it politically through talks and they have also started talking to the Taliban," he added.

Khan's political graph suddenly went up in recent months after he had two massive public rallies in Lahore and Karachi and showed his political strength, which has unnerved his opponents in power. He reiterated that he would sweep the next general elections, eradicate corruption within 90 days and bring reforms in all fields.

Khan said he has no immediate programme for a political alliance but he is in talks with Jamaat-e-Islami, the largest religious political party in Pakistan.

"People want change and we have the match-winning team to win and create a ‘new Pakistan' sans corruption through the ‘silent revolution' in Pakistan," he added. Khan denied allegations that he has received support and funding from the nation's premier intelligence agency ISI to pit him against the other party as a third political force.

"I will quit politics for good if anyone proves that Imran got money from [the] ISI," he said.

On the issue of the Balochistan separation movement, Khan said he will meet Baloch leaders before holding his next public rally in Quetta on April 6.

gulfnews : Cricketer-turned-politician Khan vows to sweep Pakistan polls

[video]http://www.channel4.com/news/imran-khan-up-close-and-personal[/video]
8pbwpaay

http://bcove.me/8pbwpaay
[video]http://bcove.me/8pbwpaay[/video]

Imran Khan should stop being diplomatic when he goes to India he keeps his tone a little low when talking to people in India and that will hurt him in longer run

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather die like a lion: Imran Khan

Death threats will not deter me from fighting corruption, Khan says

By Ashfaq Ahmed, Deputy Editor, UAEPublished: 00:00 January 31, 2012

1033912023.jpg

2046837767.jpg

Dubai: Amid increasing popularity, Imran Khan, Pakistan's new political sensation, claimed that his life is in danger but said he is not afraid as he wants to die like a lion. "I am facing life threats but it will not deter me from leading my ‘tsunami' to uproot corruption and the corrupt from the country for I have strong belief in Allah and the people of Pakistan," Khan told Gulf News at a reception in Dubai on Sunday night.

Khan, who is making headlines for his historic public rallies in Lahore and Karachi, believes that he can eradicate corruption within 90 days and make Pakistan self-reliant without any foreign aid but critics say it is the thinking of an immature politician.

However, Khan has his reasoning. "Fifty per cent of corruption will end when you have an honest prime minister [like Imran Khan] and the 25 per cent of corruption will go with honest ministers in the cabinet and the rest of the 25 per cent will [be eliminated through] good governance, reforms and policies with a good team to implement them," he said.

Khan, who is chief of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), has promised people that he will introduce the best reforms across all walks of life with the best team to implement them should his party win the next elections.
"People want change and we have the match-winning team to win and create a new Pakistan devoid of corruption through the silent revolution in Pakistan," the cricketer-turned-politician said.
Families split by politics

Khan denied allegations that he has received support and funding from the nation's premier intelligence agency, ISI (Inter Services Intelligence), to pitch him against the other party as a third political force. "I will quit politics for good if anyone proves that Imran got money from [the] ISI," he said.

On why he calls his "tsunami" a silent revolution, Khan said this is the first time in the history of Pakistan that even families have been split along political lines. "If a father is following PPP [Pakistan People's Party] or any other party, his wife and children are supporting Imran and the numbers are multiplying with every passing day," he said.

Khan said his "tsunami" is going to Quetta in Balochistan on April 6 and then to other major cities in the country leading up to the elections which he said are expected this year.

Though Khan's new team — including stalwarts such as Shah Mahmoud Quraishi, former foreign minister of Pakistan, and Jahangir Tareen — accompanied him to the reception, Khan was the star of the night. Some congratulated him for his success on the political front while others assured him of their support. The reception, organised by Imran Chaudhry, a Dubai-based Pakistan businessman, was attended by leading businessmen, diplomats and even some film and television artists.

With never-ending energy, Khan kept explaining what his "tsunami" is all about and how he would change Pakistan.
"Dependence on [the United States] will go and we will break the begging bowl and will run the country with our own resources as we cannot be independent if we keep on getting aid from the world," he said.

Whether he is sure to win the next elections, Khan said: "The PTI will sweep the elections. I can see the game is out of the hands of the other two parties who are in power and they cannot stop me from winning."
Khan said he has no immediate programme for a political alliance but he is in talks with Jamaat-e-Islami. He ruled out any alliance with former president) Pervez Musharraf. "He should rest as he has played his innings."

gulfnews : I would rather die like a lion: Imran Khan

February 1, 2012

Khan vows package for Balochistan

Tehreek-e-Insaf chief holds talks with nationalists ahead of Quetta rally

I am taking my ‘tsunami’ to Quetta to get support of the Baloch brothers. I will give them new package to get them their rights, says Imran Khan.

Chief of Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has said he will announce a new package for the people of Balochistan province, who he says are deprived of their rights.

"We will address grievances of our Baloch brothers through reconciliatory talks in a democratic way and will end military operation," said Khan, who held a crucial meeting in Dubai with an important Baloch leader, Sardar Akhtar Mengal, president of the Balochistan National Party (BNP) and former chief minister of Balochistan province.

The talks were a part of Khan's strategy to make inroads into Balochistan — the largest province of Pakistan in terms of area — and muster support of Baloch nationalist leaders, who are at daggers drawn with the government and, especially, against Pakistan army.

Reconciliation

He wants to reconcile with them before his April 6 public rally in Quetta, the capital city of Balochistan province, after showing his political strength in rallies in Lahore and Karachi.

"I am taking my ‘tsunami' to Quetta to get support of the Baloch brothers and address their grievances. I will give them a new package to get them their rights," he said.

The anti-Pakistan sentiments among Baloch nationalist groups are so strong that Khan was forced to change the date of his rally from March 23 (which is Pakistan National Day) to April 6 to avoid any confrontation. Many Baloch nationalist groups do not celebrate this day.

A close aide of Khan told Gulf News that his meeting with Mengal was very positive and will go a long way in bringing the PTI and Baloch nationalist parties together for the good of Balochistan.

"I am also going to UK to meet some more Baloch leaders who are living in exile," said Khan but did to reveal their names

Some of the key issues are royalty on natural gas and other natural resources, unemployment, and provincial autonomy.

The nationalists also want to put an end to military operation against them and also target killing.

Put on hold

The Baloch nationalists' sentiments were flared after the killing of veteran Baloch leader Nawab Akbar Bugti and the government has been forced to put on hold several development projects including the Gwadar port and exploration for oil and gas.

Bugti was killed in a military operation in Balochistan during Pervez Musharraf's tenure as president. Musharraf is wanted in the Bugti murder case by a court.

Khan said he will also meet with Jamil Bugti, son of the slain Baloch leader.

Jamil Bugti is fighting a legal battle for the accountability of those behind what he called the assassination of his father killed in a Kohlu cave, Balochistan, in August 2006.

Khan observed earlier that the current government is incompetent and lacks political will to resolve the issues of national importance.

He expressed concern over the breakdown of law and order in Balochistan and deprivation of the rights of the Baloch.

gulfnews : Khan vows package for Balochistan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom